DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Forsaken walk bk. into the Light? In memory of light....

Sern Al Wardragon

I wondered...can a Forsaken return to the Light? In principle, it seems possible but extremely slim. The title "In Memory of Light" got me thinking on this far-fetched notion.

Destroying or stilling is the prime directive toward any Forsaken. After all, what justice is there for a Forsaken? However, killing them doesn't seem to be a good answer...we know they return unless balefired.

But if one or several could be turned, that would be a massive blow to the DO's efforts. It would also open up a a ton of story possibilities, maybe too many.

It would take extraordinary measures/powers to protect the ones turned. And, who could trust them unless there were extraordinary safe-guards put in place by Rand? I haven't thought this through yet and I've only read through the books once. A discussion would be cool though.

Any thoughts?

Graendal possibly... if she was caught. But it would not be a serious change of sides, it would be more along the lines of Asmodean's actions.

It also occurs to me if anyone will think to bond Semirhage, and thereby binding her to the light.

It is extremely doubtful in my mind too but in the realm of possibility. And considering what would damage the DO's efforts the most, I thought this would be one of them. It would be hard to pull off this type of thread successfully in one more book...doesn't seem possible if the book is to be as good as the rest. If there were several more books, perhaps.

Its a fun and optimistic thought.

2000 pgs? Really?

• 2 weeks later...

Semirhage actually may not have a lot of choices now that she defied Moridins orders to leave Rand to him. They were all told Rand belonged to Moridin. Obviously she figured that she could take Rand, and make herself Nae'blis through him.

Now the DO can't be happy she let herself be captured, and i think if she doesn't switch sides, then she's left to the DO's mercies which won't be there. She'll be given over to Moridin like Moghedien was forever.

I think that she'll have to be bonded to an asha'man one way or the other to keep her intake until they can charge and sentence her.

Whilst she may suffer for being captured, it is possible that she was acting on orders in her attempt to capture Rand. We know from her interactions with Shaidar Haren that Semirhage is neither stupid, nor blindly ambitious (for all that she is ambitious). And it would make sense for Moridin to want Rand captured... especially if he fears what will happen to himself if Rand dies (given the bond between them)

It really depends on the forsaken you r talking about. Semi MIGHT be like Asmo, but I doubt it. She understands that when she does die, she will eventually return to the DO, where her punishment would be even greater than if she simply "failed".

One strange thought I came upon is that, will Rand kill a female forsaken? I mean, sure they're the super evils, but will Rand keep his promise of not killing a woman?

Just a thought...

i think that there will be 13 forsaken (wether origina, reencarnated or newly rasied) present during TG

The number 13 is not siginificant to the Shadow...

It was happenstance that led to the 13 being sealed in--we know that there were more Chosen in the War of Shadow.

I meant in terms of leadership. We know that there were more Chosen then the 13 encaptured, therefore the suggestion that the Dark One needs, wants or in any way desires an exact 13 as the number of chosen seems pointless.

i also believe that, intuitively, there will be 13 forsaken present at TG. the idea started forming with the first forsaken going down and after that i've always waited for a new generation of the chosen to replace the fallen ones for TG (by betraying the light, not by simply popping up at SG or sth like that. taim and logain were my picks for the new generation forsakens)

Why intuitively? And why would the Dark one want 13?

it probably has to do with the introduction of the forsaken to the reader, i'll need to check that first to give a solid answer but it's now the first thing that comes to my mind. i can look into that in the following hours hopefully :)

i don't reckon there's much chance of any turning, these people are just about as evil as you can get, i mean Aginor used 10,000 men, women and children a day during the war of power for his experiments, and up to 20,000 a day in the last 5 years of the war.

Asmo maimed all the artists, musicians etc. who he even thought slighted his musical talents - thats pretty harsh- while Messana converted thousands and thousands of children to the dark, and set them to killing and destroying everything, family, friends, buildings, all ravaged by "Messana's children".

Sammael had captured armies fed to Trollocs, and barely supplied citizens with enough food. indeed, when he was once informed that the food provided was only half what they needed to keep them alive, he ordered the execution of half of them.

Do these sound like the crimes of people who will turn to the light? Anyway, they would just be tried and executed as soon as captured.

Archived