DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Discuss Prologue Through Chapter 45

Luckers

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Deadsy, I assure that it's not a fake spoiler, but it's as far as I'm willing to go before the 2nd since I did give my word to Tor. But, plenty of others out there have read it by now and can expand.

Now, I do stand behind the idea of this being a spoiler thread that really contains nothing but silly spoilers.

My favorite old school moment in the book was the one I mentioned in my review...with Perrin, and Egwene. :D That is also in this chapter range. I mean, how perfect can it get? "It's just a weave." LOVE IT.

My favorite old school moment in the book was the one I mentioned in my review...with Perrin, and Egwene. :D That is also in this chapter range. I mean, how perfect can it get? "It's just a weave." LOVE IT.

I suppose this is after he STOPS BALEFIRE WITH HIS HANDS? That really is something awesome. Does Egwene learn to repeat it? And are these two working in TAR together? After all, she was the first to know of his connection to the wolves. I doubt that was for no reason.

Ya, that was just pure AWESOME!

He stops it with his mind. ;) What I loved about it was the way he just showed her up on her own territory. 'It's dangerous here!' LOL.

Cool! So do these two start working together?

I don't really see how they can work together much when Perrin is 100% in Rand's corner, while Egwene is 100% against Rand :(. I mean they can ally for a battle or something (like it sounds like they did here...although probably Pattern forced or something), but come to an agreement on TG? From everything I've read, it doesn't look that way at the moment ><.

I don't really see how they can work together much when Perrin is 100% in Rand's corner, while Egwene is 100% against Rand :(. I mean they can ally for a battle or something (like it sounds like they did here...although probably Pattern forced or something), but come to an agreement on TG? From everything I've read, it doesn't look that way at the moment ><.

It seems the disagreement isn't all that major. Egwene isn't 100% against Rand, just hoping to convince him that they need to wait before taking a rash step like breaking the seals.

It seems the disagreement isn't all that major. Egwene isn't 100% against Rand, just hoping to convince him that they need to wait before taking a rash step like breaking the seals.

Disagreeing on whether to break the seals on the DO's prison is pretty major disagreement. Egwene is 100% against breaking the seals. Her plan is rational to try to pursuade him to her side of it since she thinks this way. What happens to her plan though when Rand adheres to his plan of breaking the seals? Egwene's going to say ok Rand lets go break the seals since you won't do it my way? RJ never wanted it simple I suppose. At this point I'm 100% behind Tuon being the best leader the females have. I hope RJ has a trick up his sleeve with all this because it's very irritating that I want to like and root for Egwene but I can't when she opposes my boys Rand and Mat :(.

But what if Rand is wrong to want to break the seals? The Dark Prophesy certainly seems to predict a great deal of gloom and doom on the day Rand tries that. And Egwene may have access to it. Verin left her a book with many Dark Prophesies in it. So maybe Egwene is right to oppose Rand after all.

Or maybe Rand planned for her to oppose him, hoping she would gather all his allies for their meeting, and then he could surprise the full gathering with his actual plan. That is a possibility too.

He stops it with his mind. ;) What I loved about it was the way he just showed her up on her own territory. 'It's dangerous here!' LOL.

Cool! So do these two start working together?

Nah. They just have a very brief and random encounter in the Dream. Both of them were up to different things and just so happened to cross paths. But of course, there are no coincidences with ta'veren. ;)

But what if Rand is wrong to want to break the seals? The Dark Prophesy certainly seems to predict a great deal of gloom and doom on the day Rand tries that. And Egwene may have access to it. Verin left her a book with many Dark Prophesies in it. So maybe Egwene is right to oppose Rand after all.

Or maybe Rand planned for her to oppose him, hoping she would gather all his allies for their meeting, and then he could surprise the full gathering with his actual plan. That is a possibility too.

I understand and agree. My complaint lies moreso against Robert Jordan really. In Fantasy like this, I want to like the main characters and I don't like Egwene. This stuff you've outlined could very well be what RJ has outlined, but I doubt it. Why not have them disagree in a cordial manner that befits their childhood together? I've never liked all the angst Egwene has towards Rand :(. She never shows any compasionate thoughts towards Rand outside of comparing their time together under Elaida's punishment. It's always Rand is an idiot this, Rand is a woolhead that. Combine this with her general Aes Sedai attitude of walk on water and certainly not enough reform, and you have a character that seems more an antagonist than a protagonist.

With all that being said, I think and hope Jordan intended this to be the general view of her, but I'm not so sure. I guess RJ wanted us picking sides, Rand or Egwene(with Seanchan being the wildcards)? I would imagine in the end both of them are wrong and in the end, they'll come together and do something together. Once again though I would have liked to see them working together earlier in the story and not in the last 10 chapters you know?

I think the rub here is that this is being setup as a case of history repeating itself.

The Dragon has a plan. The most influential female channeler wets herself because the plan doesn't come with a guarantee. Next she'll pull a Latra Posae and refuse to cooperate, leaving Rand to repeat the Strike on Shayul Ghul with whatever male forces he can scrape together.

I say BAH! to that.

Its no doubt that RJ intended to Egwene to be Rand's "Latra Posae". The difference is supposed to be that this time, hopefully Rand will find a way to work with her. He KNOWS what happened at the End of the War of the Shadow, and he knows the consequence of men and women being separated in this battle.

This is one of the largest themes (if not the largest) of the series, that the greatest things are done with men and women working together.

I'm kind of meh on Egwene. I love her when she's being awesome, but I can't stand her when some of her annoying qualities are in the forefront. I do not think you can deny that Egwene almost never gives Rand his due...and to be fair (unless it changes in this book), Rand never really takes her seriously as well.

Eventually Trust, another huge theme in the series, will have to be in play for both sides to do what needs to be done.

Archived