DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Song of Ice and Fire

horus17

Several posts I've read today mentioned this series. Which reminded me a buddy told me the other day that HBO was making A Game of Thrones into a show. On a side note, this is my same buddy that told me he wants 4yrs of his life back for introducing him to the WoT, hahaha. He made it to book 10, the quitter!! He's so close and he stopped. Now he's into the first book of the George RR series.

Anyways, does anyone have any better knowledge of this tv series coming out, other than whats on the internet? And if someone knows George personally, light a fire under his ass... because I'm ready for the next book already. I guess I'll need to reread that series, too, before the next one hits the shelves.

thanks for the info. The spoilers may come in handy, since I'd rather not do a reread at this point. I think I remember most of it, but a refresher may not be too bad. I'm pretty sure I read the first one right when it came out. Why must I get involved in series that take so long to finish?!?! Yes, I read the Dark Tower too!! And waited......

It does suck. Really badly. Also if you've ever checked out westeros that's all about ice and fire and man do they talk about every little thing that happens in the books there, so if you want to really read up on it, I'd check there. Werthead, which posted on those links I gave you, is an admin (I think that's what he is) over there at westeros so he is very knowledgable. I'd listen to what he says :happy:

• 2 weeks later...

i thought King was ending the DT with the 7th book :unsure:

*snuggles UseR* WoT will be completed, Snaderson has a release dat of March 2012 planned for it.

even though GRRM may never finish ASoF&I cause he appears to be boered with it ... the 4 books that are out are rather good reads ... if thats an consulation :laugh:

I do not believe he is bored with it. All he is doing is sitting on the last books of the series so he can sell them when his series hits HBO. Expect the next book about the same time HBO does its promotion for the series and the next few books to suddenly come out each year after. I would not be surprised if the series goes from 6 to 10 books depending on how long HBO airs a game of thrones.

I am not angry at him for doing this btw. He started out as a TV guy and is playing the entertainment companies for all they are worth. Why else would he sit on a book that he told us was finished and ready to be published because he had to cut one book into two?

I do not believe he is bored with it. All he is doing is sitting on the last books of the series so he can sell them when his series hits HBO. Expect the next book about the same time HBO does its promotion for the series and the next few books to suddenly come out each year after. I would not be surprised if the series goes from 6 to 10 books depending on how long HBO airs a game of thrones.

I am not angry at him for doing this btw. He started out as a TV guy and is playing the entertainment companies for all they are worth. Why else would he sit on a book that he told us was finished and ready to be published because he had to cut one book into two?

Martin never said ADWD was finished. He thought that it wouldn't take that long to write. He was wrong. As for selling the series, to who? He has a publisher - it has been sold. He gains nothing from a delay.

Sort of hoping the series will be shown in Britian at about the same time it's shown in the States. Not a year after. Also hoping it's on a channel I own.

I am not sure how the series is going to pan-out, the rate his going the series could end before he finishes the book after Adwd.

I enjoyed the books, but can't help feeling he has painted himself into a corner, also looking at his blog he seems more busy doing other stuff, than on writing.

i thought King was ending the DT with the 7th book :unsure:

*snuggles UseR* WoT will be completed, Snaderson has a release dat of March 2012 planned for it.

even though GRRM may never finish ASoF&I cause he appears to be boered with it ... the 4 books that are out are rather good reads ... if thats an consulation :laugh:

lol i meant why do i punish myself with these Epics that take forever to complete :P DT took ages to complete and WoT is long too :P im a sucker for the wait.

A brief article I wrote about the filming of the series in Malta.

HBO have put up a fresh new video about food in the series and the amount of thought they have put into how food in King's Landing should be different from Winterfell and how both should be different from Castle Black. Impressive stuff. They also confirm that they see King's Landing as very much a more Mediterranean-style climate (at least at this point) than is perhaps gotten across in the books.

Lena Headey also gave this mini-update on her Facebook page:

"Game of thrones is coming to the end of the season one shoot and I can tell you that I believe even the most ardent fans will be smiling in 2011. Everyone has brought their A game. Amazing scripts,sets,costumes and a diverse group of interesting/talented actors. Winter is definitely coming.

It was -4 in Belfast the other night...Home sweet warm home is but a few days away"

Sort of hoping the series will be shown in Britian at about the same time it's shown in the States. Not a year after. Also hoping it's on a channel I own.

The show will air in April 2011 on Sky Atlantic, a new channel Sky are launching in the New Year. If you can get Sky One, you should be able to get Sky Atlantic. If not, you're out of luck.

Why else would he sit on a book that he told us was finished and ready to be published because he had to cut one book into two?

As mentioned above, that isn't what happened. He'd written 1,600 manuscript pages for the 'original' book which became too long. 1,100 of those pages became A FEAST FOR CROWS whilst 500 were left behind for A DANCE WITH DRAGONS, about one-third of the projected total. Those 500 pages (and another 1,000 on top) were then rewritten, restructured, thrown out, written again, edited and rewritten again because the author's conception of what the book was going to be shifted from 'the other half of A FEAST FOR CROWS' to 'the flipside of A FEAST FOR CROWS and then a sequel to both'. Throw in a bunch of other writing problems that would send other writers away screaming in confusion and you have the recipe for total writing chaos.

Also keep in mind that he doesn't really get paid until he turns in the completed manuscript. I'm sure he has some sort of advance based on the success of the previous books, but he won't draw any more money until it'd published. Martin really has no incentive to sit on a completed book and I think his publisher would straight up murder some dudes if they thought he was even thinking about it.

Also keep in mind that he doesn't really get paid until he turns in the completed manuscript. I'm sure he has some sort of advance based on the success of the previous books, but he won't draw any more money until it'd published. Martin really has no incentive to sit on a completed book and I think his publisher would straight up murder some dudes if they thought he was even thinking about it.

He did have an advance (presumably for Books 4-6, as his original contract was for three books), but if there were any time-related bonuses for meeting deadlines I think we can assume he's lost them ;)

To be an aSoIaF fan is to know of the Meerenese knot. This is the primary reason the story has not been published recently. Allied to this, GRRM went up a literary blind alley with a 5 year hiatus for all the characters. He felt that this didn't work so had to rewrite before Feast.

Another case of the tale grew in the telling.

GRRM comes across as a decent fella on his website, I doubt there are any malevolent reasons behind the delays. He just has to tell his story right.

Part of me hopes that after dance is delivered, the stumbling blocks will end. The realist in me knows that the sheer complexity of the story (I would say more complex than WoT - especially as there's no Ta'veren serendipity as a plot aid!) means that he will hit more walls along the way. It will be another 8-10 years methinks.

Archived