DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Found A Copy of Towers of Midnight Early?

Luckers

Guest Braolainn

I have to work all next week and there are no bookstores near my work so I went hunting around today to try and find it. Two weeks ago neither of the two major bookstores in the area would let me put my name down for when it came in, both said they were only accepting preorders online (I don't want to preorder it online in case it doesn't arrive for a week after the release). I was really frustrated by this point, especially when they said that they didn't know when the book would arrive, maybe sometime this week. I started ringing around bookstores from outside the area, I found one that had it but wouldn't be selling it before Tuesday. Before totally giving up I rang a little bookstore in the next town over that I didn't think would realistically have it by now. They didn't and I thought all was lost because this was from one of the chains that wouldn't let me put my name down but the manager took my details, told me it was booked in for delivery Monday and for my inconvenience at the other store she was also putting aside a promotional poster for me. Score!!! Now the wait doesn't seem so unbearable.

I have had a preorder down for another book at the bigger store for three years now but guess where that is now going... Unless I manage to find a ticket to the book launch instead

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@GB

Have you tried QDB yet? They seem to be giving me the run-around and their website has changed the release date to the 2nd. I've got my fingers crossed that I can still pick it up Monday but my hopes are dashed. Have you any word?

Also, mega jealous of all those who have already got it grrrr....

hey elci

yeah tried,they said the 2nd, ended up checking dymocks and i am not sure if i understood her right, but a salesgirl said monday it will be on. crossing fingers.

but yeah so jealous of all those who get their copies early. and its bad, as i can barely resist the spoiler board

My quest for ToM has succeeded, thanks to those who suggested the Port Authority Bus Terminal! For those near New York City, this is the place to get it. Go to the Book Corner on the second floor. There was at least one copy left after I bought mine, and maybe more in their storage facility.

Thanks to those who mentioned it! It took a three-hour round trip train ride to NYC and back, but it was totally worth it!

My mom lives in Manhattan and was coming out to PA to visit my kids and I today anyway, so I asked her to swing by there and she did. My copy is acquired and on its way!!! :) I love my mom!!!

Yeah, just fyi for all the people wishing they worked at a bookstore - it doesn't help if that store is a big chain one, like Barnes & Noble, because that's where I work, and there's absolutely no way I can get a copy early. Sorry, Red, I would've told you that and saved you the trip if I saw this earlier! Some books are 'strict on sale' meaning we can't sell them til the publishing date. And no, I can't just go back and read it back there, because they're in sealed boxes (I'm honestly not even sure where those sealed boxes are - I only know we have them because it says so in our computers). And if my managers found a box opened, um, they would check the cameras, see it was me, and fire me on the spot. It's the publishers, for big books like this, we can get sued if we sell a copy early. So. No benefits for working for a bookstore here! I don't think ours is even selling them at closing time Monday. Boo.

I as thinking now I will check Walmart at midnight tomorrow. Since they're open 24/7, they should be able to sell it at midnight, right? That's where I bought all my Harry Potter books.

Well, this place has been pretty deserted over the last few days - tumbleweed country. I guess everyone is over in the full book spoiler threads. I have been resisting even clicking on that link just so that I don't get tempted to dive on in and get all the answers I've been craving, and now the moment has arrived... It's just past 8 on Tuesday morning here in Australia, I'm going for a jog and I'm going to run past my local bookshop where they have a copy waiting for me and as soon as their doors are open I'm going to buy that copy and then I'm going to run home as fast as my legs will carry me. I've taken three days leave from work, my girlfriend is fully appraised of the situation (this is now the second Wheel of Time release since we've been together) and it's going to be a rainy day, perfect.

See you all in a few days, it's been a fun and (let's face it) horribly excruciating couple of months in the build up. Happy reading everyone!

Well atleast most of you live in the states where you can get things in midnight relese. I've cheaked all the nearby (and even far away) 24/7 supermarkets and NONE of them even have ToM ordered in for the relese date!!!

NO midnight releses from any dedicated bookstores either, poor-friggin show!!

The relese is 1 and a half hours away but i can't get my paws on it for another 9 hours!!!!!

it's all worsened by the fact that i'vbe actualy held ToM last week and had it taken of me, see page 7 for details.

FML!!!!

Guest DeadAngel

I as thinking now I will check Walmart at midnight tomorrow. Since they're open 24/7, they should be able to sell it at midnight, right? That's where I bought all my Harry Potter books.

Walmart website states they will not sell the book in stores. I would kill to know of a store in the San Diego area where I can buy the book at midnight but closest i found is a store opening at 8am :(

Well I have had zero luck finding an early copy in Southeast Texas, but at this point I am past excitement and into "calm before the storm" phase. Should have the audiobook in about 5'ish hours (depending on if it drops at midnight EST or PST) and will have my hardcover tomorrow about 10 AM.

I do have to say I am somewhat impressed though, as I do visit torrent sites (I freely admit being a horrible pirate, but only of BBC TV shows that aren't available in my neck of the woods) and this release seems to be leak free from an online perspective. Should bode well for sales tomorrow/tonight.

Yeah I called Walmart and they told me the same thing :sad: The weird thing, the B&N closest to my house (not the one where I work) isn't going to have it by tomorrow! So my boss asked if I could work a few hours tomorrow morning, and I was like, well, I might as well, since I'm going to have to go down there to get the book anyway. At least it's only a few hours, and then I can go home and read.

I have obtained Towers of Midnight. You may touch me.

I'm pretty surprised I found it to be honest. I'd looked over the Wal-Mart book section twice and... hadn't seen it. Finally I did it one last time and bam, there it was, right in front of me. Somehow I'd missed it the first two times (I was only one back there so no way they'd put it up while I checked).

My local library came through with flying colors again. Damned if I didn't have ToM before they closed on Monday evening :myrddraal:

It's not every day you get that 'can't believe it's actually happening' feeling of opening up a previously unread WoT book.

Firstly, you are a lucky person, and I hate you to the core of your being!!!

:biggrin:

Secondly, for the time being we're keeping the board strictly to the Pre-release material, which is to say the Prologue and Chapters 1,2 and 8. Closer to the release I'll move all this to a Pre-Release subboard and set up this board for full spoilers, at which point you can feel free to go nuts, but for the moment no spoilers from elsewhere in the books.

You may feel free to reply to this thread with a general response--"I really liked the book." "I did not like the book" etc. The same goes for characters--"I like Dumbeldore in this book." "I thought Dumbledore's scenes were really slow." But, for the time being no plot specific ones, including just telling that a plot gets resolved--we've seen what the fandom can do with those after Larry's review. There will be time for that when the board goes into Full Spoiler Mode.

Other than that die a horrible death you lucky sod, I hope you enjoy the book.

I had no idea Dumbledore was existent here as well.... I stand flabbergasted :) just got my hands on ToM, just begun reading... To bad i have to do some work between readings though...

• 2 years later...

Archived