DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Found A Copy of Towers of Midnight Early?

Luckers

I went to a local Books-a-million this evening just for kicks. Walked in... 30 copies sitting in front of the entrance. I was shocked. Grabbed a copy, walked up to the register, gave the cashier the book. She scans the book in and the register alarms. I guess her screen popped up a warning that the book should not be sold before Nov. 2. She called the manager and they took the whole stack of books to the back of the store. All-in-all, a pretty disappointing evening.

Wow, that would be pretty hard to take.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to a local Books-a-million this evening just for kicks. Walked in... 30 copies sitting in front of the entrance. I was shocked. Grabbed a copy, walked up to the register, gave the cashier the book. She scans the book in and the register alarms. I guess her screen popped up a warning that the book should not be sold before Nov. 2. She called the manager and they took the whole stack of books to the back of the store. All-in-all, a pretty disappointing evening.

I think I would have cried... either that, or I would have went and grabbed a copy of TGS or KoD and swapped the covers. :biggrin:

Okay probably not, but I would have been sorely tempted.

I think I would have cried... either that, or I would have went and grabbed a copy of TGS or KoD and swapped the covers. :biggrin:

Okay probably not, but I would have been sorely tempted.

Oh gees, could you imagine someone going into the bookstore later, buying said swapped cover version and getting TGS by mistake?

I did take a copy and sit in a comfy chair for a minute. But I haven't read any of the chapters already released and I decided that I didn't want to read any of the book until I could read it all. Wish I had thought to go switch a cover... Other plan I thought of afterwords would have been to show the cashier the book, throw 35 bucks on the counter and tell her to keep the change. Man this sucks... I should be reading right now.

All-in-all, this experience has soured me on the publishing industry. I can't understand what sense it makes to tell a paying customer that he has to wait a week to buy a product. What can they possibly gain by having a set in stone release date. We all know the book will be available for free by next Wed. or Thurs.

I GOT MY COPY TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I live in Philly where things notoriously fall off the back of trucks. If I am allowed to I will tell you the Chapter order. SO EXCITED. If you live in the area PM me and I will tell you abouts where to go. So long as yo SWEAR you will not get the small book store I got it from in trouble.

Hi Oliver,

I just wanted to let you know that I tried PMing you again when I got to an actual computer and unfortunately received the same error message as before. I've sent an email to Jennifer hoping to rectify the situation. In the meantime, being a crazy WOT addicted fiend, here's my email nwash_10 at yahoo dot c.o.m -I would be truly greatful if you could hook me up with the location of where you got your copy of ToM.

On a side note, I appreciate that everyone on this board is cool and won't use my email for evil.

Thanks!!!

Well unfortunately I live in Naples FL, a land where corporate stores have destroyed all the little guys. After a brief google search and many phone calls, Ive decided all the small shops are officially closed. Cant see BaM, Borders or B&N putting them up early. :( my dad is traveling so Ive got him on the look out, but I dont feel confident. I got excited because the library called and said I had a book in today. I do, just not the one I want.

If you're willing to make the drive, there's a small bookstore in downtown named Haslam's. I have no idea if you'll have any luck, but they're about the only independent place I know of in these parts.

If you're willing to make the drive, there's a small bookstore in downtown named Haslam's. I have no idea if you'll have any luck, but they're about the only independent place I know of in these parts.

Doh! Meant downtown St. Pete. That might be helpful :)

Elend is a sad panda.

I'm almost certain that I could go to one of our many locally owned bookstores here (no Barnes and Nobles or anything within like an hour's drive to be honest) and find an early copy. Its the type of place you'd expect to find it.

The problem? I have no money until... around Nov. 2. Yeah. How's that for karma?

*walks in sadly* so apparently its agaisnt the book law in MS to sell a book before the release date and the store will get fined for it.

went to B&N yesturday and this is how the convo went

me: Excuse me ma'am, i have a wierd question for you.

clerk: um okay, how can i help you?

*looks and sees a copy of CoT and grabs it; shows it to the clerk*

me: *hopeful* This series has a new book comming out on Nov. 2nd; and some bookstores have been able to sell a copy early. I was wondering if you had any in the back?

clerk: sure, let me check

*clerk types on computer and i cross my fingers*

clerk: yep, we sure do have that book in the back, but sorry can't sell it until Tuesday.

*hopeful smile turns into a sad frown like a kid with a toy just snatched from their hands*

me: but...

clerk: *sympathetic smile* sorry.

*i walk out of the store dejectedly with my head hanging*

i mean why tell me you have it in the back!! thats just PURE TORTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so moral of the story, don't try the main national branches.

i'm trying walmart today. walmart is evil, so maybe they will sell me a copy.

Archived