DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Sexist Reader?

Phenom

So I have something to confess...I have never read a book (besides in school) in were a female is the main character. Especially never a fantasy book. It just puts me off. I just feel like I can't relate. Am I the only one who is put off by this? What am I missing out on?

I get what you're saying, but I do think you are missing out on a lot of great books. I've never had a problem with this reading males as main characters, but I guess most books do have males as main characters.

Anyway, I do think that books with females as main characters can be different than ones with males for obvious reasons, but sometimes that can be a good thing. Maybe it'll give you a glimpse into the mind of the female species :tongue: I haven't read a lot of fantasy books with females as main characters but I have read many classics, and I actually find that I like the classic "female" ones as opposed to "male" ones. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy is ah-mazing, as is Pride and Prejudice.

I don't know about the whole female hero thing in fantasy books though. I'm not sure if I would like one as I have never read one. It's kind of weird to think about, me being a female but not wanting to read any fantasy books with a lead female warrior. I wonder if that's an effect of society. You have given me much to ponder friend.

Don't feel too bad about it, Phenom. I haven't read many books with a female as the main protagonist, either.

As to why we tend to enjoy Fantasy books with male main characters, I'd probably go with something like this:

1. There are more of them, so you have a higher chance of finding good books with male leads. This, I think, can be attributed to the idea that Fantasy is the realm of nerds(i.e. D&D), a group which tends to be viewed as overwhelmingly male, as well as lacking in the social graces or physical prowess to impress the opposite gender. For people such as this, a good Fantasy yarn could be viewed as a power fantasy.

Luckily, most of us nerds are a little smarter than that.

2. Many Fantasy stories seem to be the last bastion of certain older ideals. They offer worlds where "Men are men, and women are women." Gender roles seem to be very clearly defined in these stories, which often makes them feel more stable/secure than the real world. I'll admit to this being one of the reasons I enjoy them. I'd call it a guilty pleasure in my case. (Would never dream of telling a woman to "Go make me a sandwich, wench!" I'd probably just get beat up, being one of the unphysical specimens mentioned earlier.)

3. The remnants of the aforementioned "older ideals" make it more believable to us that a man would be the one out there cleaving his enemies in twain with his enchanted blade than a woman. After all, most of the history we are presented with is told from this point of view. Not that I mind, though. :wink:

Though I do agree there are a lot of good books with females as leads, I relate to what you're saying. What's even more amazing to me is when male author can write with female lead. I really don't know how they do it (kind of like Mistborn).

The key is realizing men and women are not vastly different. Watch for stereotypes and jump on them when you see them; other than that, it isn't so bad.

A few other things you can do but I'll not get into them here and I doubt most would agree with me on them anyway.

I think Sam's WIP also involves a female lead, so he may have something to contribute.

How could I forget about the Mistborn series? I loved it, they were good books. One part did dissapoint me a little bit... but I won't go into that right now. I would definitely suggest that series, the books are pretty easy to read and there's only 3 of them.

According BS's tweets and Facebook postings, he is taking a creative break from Way of Kings and Wheel of Time and is writing a new short story (now turned novella) set in the Mistborn universe. Unclear if we will ever get to read it.

BTW, BS has said that Mistborn is a "trilogy of trilogy" (kinda like Star Wars). So expect more stories from that universe.

Oh good, I thought I was the only one. :)

So Mistborn has a female protagonist?

What did you guys think of Anne McCaffrey's books?

Mistborn is very good, its a bit cliche in some areas, but still good. I know what you mean when you say a female character as the lead, but I think if it's done right, then you won't be able to tell the difference.

Oh good, I thought I was the only one. :)

So Mistborn has a female protagonist?

What did you guys think of Anne McCaffrey's books?

Mistborn is very good, its a bit cliche in some areas, but still good. I know what you mean when you say a female character as the lead, but I think if it's done right, then you won't be able to tell the difference.

Not so cliche in many areas too.. Lead female protaganist works perfectly for Mistborn, and I thought the story was great! Sanderson's Elantris also has a major female protaganist as well.

Well, think about this. How did you think you have a problem with a female protagonist when in the Wheel of Time series we actually have three protagonist males (Rand, Perrin and Mat) and three protagonist females (Egwene, Nynaeve and Elayne), not to mention hordes of associates and less important men and women characters?

Or, have you just so far skipped over the women?

Marion Zimmer Bradley. Octavia Butler. Anne MacCaffrey. Sherri Tepper (I recommend Beauty for starters). There have been many women fantasy and scifi writers. There are so many fantasy and scifi writers, there will always be others we have not yet read.

Try get Ancient Future. The main character in that kicks ass, literally.

Shes basicly a modern girl who sleeps in a group of standing stones and wakes up in Dark Age Wales, where she marries a king, introduces Tai Kwon Do into the regime, sets up equal opportunity for everyone, becomes a goddess and gives birth. And thats only the first book.

Archived