DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What has Moiraine been up to in Finnland?

Dead Guy

Do we know anything regarding the circumstances of Moiraines stay with the Finns?

She's obviously trapped in their world, but do you think she's managed to do anything productive at all while she's been in there. Will she have gained any valuable insights that could play a part in the final events of the series, or has she just been locked up all this time?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, we have no way of knowing what it's been like for her. We can speculate, though. And keep in mind that it might not have been the same amount of time for her as for everyone else.

Indeed, without knowing the specifics of the time physics of the finn realm, she could have only been a prisoner for a matter of hours or decades. We have Mat's visit in Rhuiedan. That was about 1-5 hours (not sure how long he was) equates to 7 days as an approximate. So we could make an estimate from that. However, we have no idea if that is consistant with every visit, or what. I think it is just RAFO.

I'm guessing time flows very differently in there, enough that it's not a 1:1 ratio at least. We have two possibilities: No time at all has passed, and Moiraine has no inkling that time has passed outside, or enought time has passed and she has gained enough information inside to be able to contribute to rand's cause. Discovering the true meaning of Herid Fel's statements maybe?

I'm guessing time flows very differently in there, enough that it's not a 1:1 ratio at least. We have two possibilities: No time at all has passed, and Moiraine has no inkling that time has passed outside, or enought time has passed and she has gained enough information inside to be able to contribute to rand's cause. Discovering the true meaning of Herid Fel's statements maybe?

Cyndane recalls being held by the 'finns, so perceptible time passed in finnland for her. Of course, that's no guarantee that it was the same for Moiraine.

I imagine she has been pretty busy getting answers and trying to figure them out. I would not be shocked if she was able to find out some key hints or tidbits of knowledge regarding the Last Battle. I mean you can only resist her so long before even the finn would be doing anything to be rid of her :biggrin:

What I want to know, is that If Moiraine isn't dead as stated in the letter, how was Lanfear brought out? Being in a new body suggests the DO ressurected her right? So how was Moiraine unharmed (if that's the case), or further more, what if Moiraine is a DF/Chosen? The glossary suggests that "more than 13" were actually forsaken... did the DO bring her back aswell? Just speculation. Thoughts?

I don't think Lanfear was brought out, I think she was killed. Moiraine knew that her only chance of survival was to surrender and wait for Thom to bail her out, but Lanfear was pissed off and looking for a fight and got herself smoked. Then the DO grabbed her soul and tossed into a loaner body he got from somewhere.

Yea I cant see Lanfear choosing to listen to anyone other then moridin(cause of the mindtrap) or the dark one willingly. I assume to be safe and stay in finn land you have to go along to get along. I can see Moiraine playing their little games and rules until her possible rescue.

I think Moiraine's three wishes were:

1. I want Lanfear's strength in the OP

2. I want Lanfear's knowledge of the OP

3. I want to live.

The Price was she couldn't leave.

Something tells me Mierin Sedai visted the 'Finns at one point early in her AS career in AoL so they have a copy of her memories to give Mo. Don't know how they'd do the strength thing (maybe Mo and Lanfear "crossed streams" during their fight.

But I think, if she had the opportunity, she was watching the outside events through Rand and Mat's eyes.

Won't that make for some awkward moments for uptight Moiraine and Rand, Mat, Min, Elyane, and anybody she encounters that Mat bedded after tFoH.

The Aelfinn punish questions concerning the Shadow. Lanfear is near enough Shadow incarnate. I imagine they didn't take too kindly to her.

Well, we don't know how or why they punish Shadow-related questions. Is it that they are blind to the DO, but contractually obligated to answer EVERYTHING, leading to a "DOES NOT COMPUTE" moment of things going horribly wrong when a question touches the shadow, or is it a conscious, cause-and-effect punishment straight from the Finns?

Moiraine uses the word "punish" implying a conscious choice, but she is not all-knowing. I got the indication that Moiraine & co. were the first visitors they had in a long time. So really, how would Moiraine know the rules about the Finn

The Aelfinn punish questions concerning the Shadow. Lanfear is near enough Shadow incarnate. I imagine they didn't take too kindly to her.

It is possible that they were also a trifle irritated that she burnt down their front door.

It is also possible that she was stilled/ burnt out when Moiraine snatched the angreal and the Finns punished her (note that she was passed around to both sets of Finns so they spent some time (in finn standard time) thinking about it.

Once they executed her, the GLoD revived her and got a BA healer to restore her channeling ability.

The timeline (WoT normal) fits for that since she was Mindtrapped before Moggy.

It would explain everything we know about Cyndane's memories and relatively lower strength.

I think Moiraine's three wishes were:

1. I want Lanfear's strength in the OP

2. I want Lanfear's knowledge of the OP

3. I want to live.

The Price was she couldn't leave.

I think it was more likley:

1. I want to help the Dragon win the last Battle

2. I want to ensure the Dragon lives to fight the last battle

3. I want to ensure that the Dragon is not turned against the Light before the last battle.

The price was her freedom, traded willingly

Once she makes these wishes -POOF- Asmodean gets killed. It is intuitively obvious...

Archived