DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Will Moiraine either Want or Need a new Warder...do you think?

The Fisher King

She'd probably bond 'her dearest Thom' if anything. She knows better than to bond Rand.

I mean, unless she was driven insane by the Finn's.

I have to disagree with you this time, Sidster - for a few reasons:

1 ''Knows better''??? Did Alanna? Did Min or Elayne or Avi? Or Cadusane when she was contemplating it? ... Moiraine repeatedly stated that she would do anything - whatever was necessary - to win the Last Battle.

2 I don't think Moiraine would ever Ward Thom. Marry him maybe, certainly love him. But she would never make him her Bonder. I mean, for his age he is still nifty with his knives, but a crippled, aged, gleeman? No practical reason for Warding him in her eyes.

3 And, as you say, she may very well be NUTZ.

Fish

1 ''Knows better''??? Did Alanna? Did Min or Elayne or Avi? Or Cadusane when she was contemplating it? ... Moiraine repeatedly stated that she would do anything - whatever was necessary - to win the Last Battle.

Fish

I say 'knows better' because it would be against Rand's will. Avi, Min, and Elayne asked him beforehand. Alanna obviously didn't know better, and neither did Cadsuane until she saw how nearly useless it was for Alanna to try using the bond to order him around.

Moiraine started doing well with Rand when she remembered 'how to embrace Saidar'. I doubt she would bond him against his will.

As for Thom, who knows? I think she'll bond him (and not be insane), but I can't think of any specific foreshadowing that says she will. I'm guessing that she'll marry him (foreshadowing) and that she'd likely want a warder, and marrying someone and bonding someone else would be pretty awkward.

I guess we're all assuming she can still channel, too.

Yeah whether or not she can still channel is kind of an issue along with her sanity...

As for Thom being old wouldn't bonding him be the best thing she could do for someone she loved? Making him stronger, and possibly prolonging his life?

Her being able to channel is really a moot point since one of the first things she will do is see Rand (the first being to marry Thom i would bet). And we all know damer is always with Rand since he is a part of his entourage.

Well, in Lanfear's point of view if she had been bonded you would think she would have mentioned it at least once, it doesn't seem to be the kind of thing you can forget even if you want to (Rand could never quite ignore Alanna's bond no matter how much he tried).

I doubt Moiraine will try to bond Rand, he is already bonded 4 times over, honestly who knows what each additional bonding does to him. And remember, Alanna was quite insane with grief when she did it (I don't doubt Verin was truthful about that from what we've heard about the effects of losing a warder on an Aes Sedai).

She should just bond Lanfear. Boom! Problem solved.

She may already have done exactly that.....

How could she have already done that to Lanfear when Lanfear is (and has been) running around Randland with Moggy and wearing a Mind Trap???

Fish

Never mind. Just me going off at a tangent. Forget I said it.

Her being able to channel is really a moot point since one of the first things she will do is see Rand (the first being to marry Thom i would bet). And we all know damer is always with Rand since he is a part of his entourage.

Well, in Lanfear's point of view if she had been bonded you would think she would have mentioned it at least once, it doesn't seem to be the kind of thing you can forget even if you want to (Rand could never quite ignore Alanna's bond no matter how much he tried).

I doubt Moiraine will try to bond Rand, he is already bonded 4 times over, honestly who knows what each additional bonding does to him. And remember, Alanna was quite insane with grief when she did it (I don't doubt Verin was truthful about that from what we've heard about the effects of losing a warder on an Aes Sedai).

When Alanna bonded Rand, she told him that she would not harm him, and in fact had 'done the exact opposite of harm'. Certainly the bond does lend the Warder some useful qualities - strength, endurance, and so on; witness Bryne's response to Siuan's bonding of him. 'I wish I could give this to every man in my command.' Doesn't excuse doing it without permission, though.

She should just bond Lanfear. Boom! Problem solved.

She may already have done exactly that.....

How could she have already done that to Lanfear when Lanfear is (and has been) running around Randland with Moggy and wearing a Mind Trap???

Fish

Never mind. Just me going off at a tangent. Forget I said it.

Actually, lets not. I got to thinking about this. We've been hit over the head many, many times over the years about just how differently time works in the land of the Finns. And, while Cyndane HAS been back in Randland in a new body (Cyndane's) for a while now, she WAS inside Finn Land with Moiraine for at least a little while before the DO transmigrated her into Cyndane's body...And also, because of the very fact that time DOES run differently in Finn World than it does in Randland, it might turn out that Lanfear was trapped there with Moir for a LONG Time before she was pulled out by The DO...

Who knows WHAT might have happened between Moiraine and Lanfear before the DO yanked LF out of there. I'm very very interested in what transpired between the two while they were there. Maybe even some temporary alliances were necessary to team up against the Finns in order to survive???

Fish

I said it as more of a serious joke (if Moraine did indeed bond Lanfear, it would make everyone's lives a lot easier (but the same can be said for any forsaken)). However, the consequences of such an action would be of enormous import as Lanfear would be, for all intents and purposes, more or less under Moraine's control (or at the very least, Moraine would always know where Lanfear was).

Such an action might be the reason the DO transferred her consciousness to a different body (which I think is really reaching), or she simply could have died. I guess we will find out. Supposing she was bonded by Moraine, it would be interesting to see if the bond is a purely physical bond (in which case the bodily transfer would destroy the link) or if it's a physical and metaphysical bond (in which case Cyndane would still be bonded to Moraine despite her bodily transfer).

2 I don't think Moiraine would ever Ward Thom. Marry him maybe, certainly love him. But she would never make him her Bonder. I mean, for his age he is still nifty with his knives, but a crippled, aged, gleeman? No practical reason for Warding him in her eyes.

Despite the foreshadowing, what about the Blue Ajah rule (mentioned in NS) forbidding marriage? It would have to be a secret marriage. This is a problem for Siuan and Bryne as well.

We all kind f assume that Mo will want to be healed. What if she politely refuses healing deciding to live out her life with Thom.

Quite frankly, this is all assuming she lives long enough to have the opportunity to be healed. I wouldn't like it but I could totally see her and Thom both dying in the ToG and she passes on some super important information that Rand needs to win the LB.

Guest daemonhat

Despite the foreshadowing, what about the Blue Ajah rule (mentioned in NS) forbidding marriage? It would have to be a secret marriage. This is a problem for Siuan and Bryne as well.

Well, Siuan wouldn't have to worry about the rule because since she was stilled and the 3 oaths didn't apply to her anymore, she was no longer a blue so those rules don't apply either. But then I did forget she was healed and more than likely will be retaking the oaths in ToM. However I think there will be someway to get around it.

I see two possible outcomes.

1. She still has the ability to channel. If so, then she will likley bond Thom. She cares deeply about him, and there are benifits to the bonding. I don't see her bonding anyone else.

2. If she doesn't have the ability to channel, then I see her and Thom heading off to rule Cairhein.

One question, who is next in line for the Cairhein crown? Galad, Moiraine, or Caraline?

Moiraine already mentioned to Rand that she saw herself bonded to him and that leading to disaster when she went to Rhuidean. So Rand's out.

The idea of being a queen repells her, has always repelled her and there is nothing to indicate that she changed her mind on that. She's grown up with the knowledge that history shows any queen being Aes Sedai in Cairhien only led to disaster. Besides which, Elayne is the rightful ruler of Cairhien even without Rand's involvement and after her, her kids. She doesn't have the same aversity to the idea of an Aes Sedai queen that Moiraine has and so won't see any problem in it.

The only one Moiraine would bond now is Thom. As some have already stated correctly, the bond lends the Warder enhanced speed, strength, endurance, senses and age. All of which would be greatly beneficial for a man. Bryne is around Thom's age I think or slightly younger perhaps, but he definately felt the benefits the moment the weaves settled on him. Thom will too and his limp may not even bother him that much anymore as a result. We've never seen the effects on the bonding weave on physical handicaps before. Rand's wounds are different, as they are Evil in nature and not natural. Though it was never mentioned or hinted whether or not he'd have suffered from them more or equally if he handed bonded the four he did.

I still don't see any reason why Moiraine would suddenly not be able to channel anymore.

Guess we'll have to rafo. :biggrin:

Archived