A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Warbreaker

Zyntras

19 members have voted

1. 1. Read Warbreaker ?

• Yes
    • No

hi,

im re-reading WoT atm but i will be finished in a few days and im loocking for something to read until ToM,

is warbreaker a book you would suggest is readworthy? ;p i dont realy enjoy to read pdfs so i ask you, who have read it if i should endure it ;p ?

yes you should pick up Warbreaker. and Elantris as well. both are equally good in their own rights.

and the Mistborn Trilogy; even though i didn't like the series personally, alot of readers on DM do like it :smile:

once ToM comes out and your looking for a new series to pick up, i'd also recomend George R.R. Martins A Song of Fire & Ice (ASoI&F) epic saga. be warned it's only supposed to be 7 books long, and the 5th book has been 6 years in the making. but it's still a really good series, and while much more dark & adult (sexual situations) than the WoT; WoT fans will enjoy this series emmensly as his style is right on par with Jordans imo. (style as in, attention ot detail, variety of characters, multiple main & supporting character plots, political intrigue)

Warbreaker is a good story but has pacing issues, and by many readers is considered one of Sanderson's weaker novels. Elantris is also a novice endeavor, though I did enjoy it. Mistborn is considered a strong outing and seems to be most loved by favorites, and The Way of Kings is very good, greatly displaying Sanderson's growth as an author.

With that said, I'd suggest reading it. I enjoyed it, but I also understand the criticisms. There may have been too many plots in too small a space.

I do think that it was a fun read, stronger than Elantris - though I don't think it matched up to Mistborn in terms of plot and characterization. There is a bit of, well, "convenient" plotting in Warbreaker, which may break the suspension of disbelief on a reread.

• 1 month later...

I am reading it online and IMHO it seems to me like Elantris but with everything worse (mind that as of now I´ve read only these two books from him). It seeems painfully obvious that Sanderson is unconfortamble with less developed setting and therefore his characters are written in very modern fashion. In this particular book it simply feels odd how Lightsong who should really be very otherwordly man is the most sympathetic protagonist (someone might see it as a strength however)and both princesses strike me as one-dimensional.On the other hand, his ideas are simply addictive and I can´t stop reading.

BTW:I checked the paperbeck in a store here and czech translators did a war crime with names of the gods: Lightsong became Hymnus (which is, well, hymn) and Blusheweaver became Aurora.

Archived