DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

BUT / Unseen Eyes - New Perspective

Sentinel78

Let me start off by saying that I never would have considered this if Luckers hadn't put a lot of information together, but I have a new theory regarding the Unseen Eyes, and also the Big Unnoticed Thing (BUT).

To start off, Luckers established a good theory that the BUT corresponds to the Unseen Eyes of TAR. I'm starting to come around on this theory. Luckers personal opinion is that the Unseen Eyes are the Evil of Shadar Logoth, the source of the actual evil that corrupted the city and gave birth to Mashadar.

However, I was rereading another of Luckers' theories relating to the Darkhounds here.

I now think that the Unseen Eyes of TAR may be the trapped Wolf-souls of wolves that have been turned into Darkhounds.

We have already seen through Hopper for a while that the souls of dead wolves go to TAR. Does it not follow that wolves that die and are converted to Darkhounds would also have their souls stored somewhere in TAR, albeit a different place?

Numerous times now in TAR, Perrin can sense a distance 'force' in TAR that Hopper keeps stopping him from reaching. I think Perrin is stumbling onto the region where the Darkhound's source-souls are trapped in TAR, which are manifested to visitors of TAR as the Unseen Eyes.

Regarding the Potential Impact criterion, or the shocking revelation that this will have in ToM, there are tons of references to the Wild Hunt or Last Hunt, whereby huge armies of Darkhounds wreak havoc and are nearly invincible. I could see Perrin finding a way to free these trapped souls (killing Slayer will be involved here) in TAR, thus liberating / killing the steadily increasing horde of Darkhounds. As the flap for ToM says, Perrin will have to seek answers in TAR and learn to master the Wolf inside himself to prevail.

I think this meets all the requirements for the BUT, and also makes Perrin's storyline somewhat more relevant.

Pretty creative, but you should watch out for Luckers' :flamingsword: of retribution. :biggrin:

So why are they content just watching?

If I'm right, they'd be 'watching' because the Darkhound souls are essentially trapped in TAR, unlike wolves like Hopper that can more or less go where they want. They can't really do much and they've been twisted by evil somehow, which is why they appear to be malevolent.

It explains why Hopper is so determined to keep Perrin away from whatever distance force or power he's picking up when he 'stretches' his wolf-senses in TAR, and if the Darkhound soul-entrapment location were not dangerous the wolves would have already freed their brothers. Plus, I'm just trying to think of some way that Perrin could actually do something really cool and relevant to the Last Battle. Perrin's supposed to have an awesome character-building story arc in ToM, and the ToM blurb says it will involve Slayer, TAR and making peace with the Wolf inside of him somehow, so it just kind of fits I think.

Hmm. I like it. The place where it really kicks my theories buttocks is that it explains why Perrin will be the one to deal with it, and not, say, Egwene, or Amys. I do think, however, that my holds stronger in terms of descriptive parallels between the Eyes and the Source of SL Evil (we really need to come up with a distinct name for that--preferebly one that doesn't sound like its out of Charmed).

The other problem is the eyes don't seem physically distinct. The feel like more of a force--a presence--whereas I would imagine the souls of Darkhounds, like the Wolves, would be more defined. Nothing really to base that on though.

I'm actually working on a third theory, linking the eyes to Machin Shin--it's weaker than either this or the Source of SL Evil, but I still think its viable. :)

Archived