DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Lan's bond. Questions

Moon Sedai

Sorry if it's been covered, but I didn't see it elsewhere....

Myrelle tells Egwene that she plans to give Nynaeve Lan's bond ASAP.

And Myrelle did take an active interest in breaking Nynaeve's block, helping her become AS.

When did Myrelle get message from Moiraine to give that bond to Nynaeve?

I'm certain that Moiraine did so, because otherwise, we don't see Myrelle and Moiraine together after Moiraine meets with the Two Rivers Crew (she never returned to Tar Valon, from what I remember).

And Myrelle somehow knew, after sensing Lan's bond pass to her and before seeing Lan, that Nynaeve was to get Lan.

But she was surprised to find out that Lan and Nynaeve were in love.

Or did I miss something?

I just read that scene from aCoS. Myrelle seemed genuinely concerned and compassionate about what happens to a Warder when his Aes Sedai dies. She really was interested in saving Lan just because Moiraine was a friend and because she cares for the Warders and sympathizes with them.

That said, I don't think Myrelle was doing it just so she could collect another Warder. She was doing it to help Lan, and I doubt she would have had too much resistance to turning his bond over to whomever Moiraine told her to. It's not exactly a secret that Nyn is in the **** a lot, doing important things, and could use a good Warder. Beyond that, a woman who dedicated her life to finding and setting up the Dragon Reborn hands her Warder over to a woman who is from Rand's village and is in a position to do the same. No reason for Myrelle to know they are in love. In fact, knowing Moiraine, it makes much more sense that she would not tell her that. Basically everything in Moiraine's mind is "need to know". And Myrelle did not need to know.

I just read that scene from aCoS. Myrelle seemed genuinely concerned and compassionate about what happens to a Warder when his Aes Sedai dies. She really was interested in saving Lan just because Moiraine was a friend and because she cares for the Warders and sympathizes with them.

That said, I don't think Myrelle was doing it just so she could collect another Warder. She was doing it to help Lan, and I doubt she would have had too much resistance to turning his bond over to whomever Moiraine told her to. It's not exactly a secret that Nyn is in the **** a lot, doing important things, and could use a good Warder. Beyond that, a woman who dedicated her life to finding and setting up the Dragon Reborn hands her Warder over to a woman who is from Rand's village and is in a position to do the same. No reason for Myrelle to know they are in love. In fact, knowing Moiraine, it makes much more sense that she would not tell her that. Basically everything in Moiraine's mind is "need to know". And Myrelle did not need to know.

IIRC Egwene has also decided to make Myrelle hand over the bond. But Nyn and Myrelle have to meet.

It's like Sartyva said. Moirane said who but not why (at Fal Dara). As to why Myrelle is surprised Lan :lan: and Nyn :nynaeve: are in love, do you not know Nynaeve? :tongue: Myrelle obviously thought that Moirane was planning for the future. Who would've thought Moirane would care about emotions?

What I don't understand is why Lan is needed for transferring the bond from Myrelle to Nynaeve - Egwene says that she'd arrange it as soon as she could get the three of them together. It wasn't necessary the first time, so why in the second?

Perhaps Lan was present for the original setting up of the transfer of the bond, he just didn't realise--it's not like he can sense saidar, and Moiraine is a consumate actor.

As for Myrelle, as I read it the understanding was always that Myrelle would transfer--or perhaps let go of--the bond once certain Lan was going to survive Moiraine's death. Pre-Nynaeve the understanding was probably to find someone Lan liked and wanted to work with, and once Moiraine realised what was going down with Nynaeve she changed her instructions to Myrelle.

Myrelle strikes me as too honourable to hold a bond she knew Lan didn't accept. She forced him whilst saving his life, and from there she'd look to see him with someone he wanted.

Perhaps Lan was present for the original setting up of the transfer of the bond, he just didn't realise--it's not like he can sense saidar, and Moiraine is a consumate actor.

As for Myrelle, as I read it the understanding was always that Myrelle would transfer--or perhaps let go of--the bond once certain Lan was going to survive Moiraine's death. Pre-Nynaeve the understanding was probably to find someone Lan liked and wanted to work with, and once Moiraine realised what was going down with Nynaeve she changed her instructions to Myrelle.

Myrelle strikes me as too honourable to hold a bond she knew Lan didn't accept. She forced him whilst saving his life, and from there she'd look to see him with someone he wanted.

Yeah, I think this is it.

Moiraine passed the bond to Myrelle because she has "saved" two other warders in the same position. So it would be sensible to hand it over. Just like going to the doctor if your sick, you get the best doctor you can.

And as for her not knowing about Nynaeve and Lan, Moraine isnt the most forthcomming person in the first place, she would definitely not go round telling people "oh, they are in love with each other." As many AS have said "its not her "secret" to tell".

As far as I know, she set the bond to pass to Myrelle, told her to help him survive and when he had "recovered" pass the bond to Nynaeve.

Also remember that these are AS. Warders dont = love. 95% of warders are bonded for protection, not because they love each other.

Lan and Nynaeve have been travelling together with Moraine. Nynaeve is becomming AS. Nynaeve will need a warder following the DR round and fight BA etc..

Myrelle wouldnt suspect anything.

My thought is this, though.

Moiraine told Lan something like "Before we Left for the Two Rivers, I set it up so Myrelle would get your bond when I die to pass to someone else." Myrelle knew she was to heal him up and pass him on, from the beginning of accepting that burden.

I don't doubt her compassion to keep warders alive.

Before knowing Nynaeve, she just thought 'i'd find the Dragon Reborn, not DR, plus two ta'veren, plus two strong as all heck wilders and an immortal pony.'

So she couldn't have know when she set the bond to transfer about Nynaeve.

And we never see her and Myrelle interact, that I remember.

I would have been surprised the two were in love as well.

I guess what I'm wondering is when do you think Moiraine instructed the bond transfer to be to Nynaeve? After the Fal Dara conversation with Lan? On the way to Tear? To the Aiel Waste?

Guest melville

I believe that Myrelle was waiting for Nynaeve to become an Aes Sedai before passing the bond. In Salidar, she was only an accepted until Egwene made her an Aes Sedai. Lan had not arrived yet for Myrelle to "cure" him before giving the bond to Nynaeve. Myrelle did not think Nynaeve was ready for him at that time.

My thought is this, though.

Moiraine told Lan something like "Before we Left for the Two Rivers, I set it up so Myrelle would get your bond when I die to pass to someone else." Myrelle knew she was to heal him up and pass him on, from the beginning of accepting that burden.

I don't doubt her compassion to keep warders alive.

Before knowing Nynaeve, she just thought 'i'd find the Dragon Reborn, not DR, plus two ta'veren, plus two strong as all heck wilders and an immortal pony.'

So she couldn't have know when she set the bond to transfer about Nynaeve.

And we never see her and Myrelle interact, that I remember.

I would have been surprised the two were in love as well.

I guess what I'm wondering is when do you think Moiraine instructed the bond transfer to be to Nynaeve? After the Fal Dara conversation with Lan? On the way to Tear? To the Aiel Waste?

I believe (and others will most likely disagree) that Moirane did it at Fal Dara, or on the Amyrlin's entourage back to that river boat. At which time Lan and Nyn were already :wub: :wub: . Probably a Baerlon Min viewing was involved, though I can't back it up. The Falme Min viewing is pretty confirmatory, but I don't see Moirane sending this information via pigeon mail. It seems likely that Myrelle was in the group that accompanied Siuan (IIRC the Green's tent had 5 warders, Alanna had 2, and Myrelle had 3 at that time)

That would make sense, I don't really remember who accompanied Siuan, and it seems likely that Myrelle would have been there, given the warder information.

That settles it for me.

Fal Dara, probably right before she had that discussion with Lan.

Archived