DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I watched a movie last night that was eerily similar to King's ''Gunslinger.''

The Fisher King

If I overlook the religious overtones it's a decent movie.

Whats wrong with the ''religious overtones'' ... it was actually the entire point of the movie: Eli even said it himself at one point. He'd spent so many years carrying a Bible around with him that he had started to forget the teachings in it that he had come to value most, like ''do more for others than you do for yourself.''

It was also meant to show the contrasting ironies of how two polar opposite personalities view and use religion. Eli used it for good and to help others; Carnegie used it to control and manipulate.

Theres nothing wrong with religion being in movies (or governments - or schools, for that matter).

If its not your thing, you certainly have the right to overlook it, as you say you did - I'm just giving my own opinion too.

To me, religion is a personal choice that each person has the freedom to make - or not make - for themselves.

JMO

Fish

To me, religion is a personal choice that each person has the freedom to make - or not make - for themselves.

Exactly, and having it forced on me through a movie isn't something I enjoy. That said, I thought the rest of the movie was well done, particularly Denzel's performance.

(Don't even get me started on religion's place in Governments and schools or the less than savory teachings you can find in the bible.)

Lynchgrinch - after you watch, you gotta comeback here and tell me/us what you think of it. Theres one really sweet part about 20 minutes in that is soooo reminiscent of Tull :)

Hallow - I'm not going to argue religion - or politics - or education with you. I'll just say that I do understand where you are coming from.

Fish

Exactly, and having it forced on me through a movie isn't something I enjoy. That said, I thought the rest of the movie was well done, particularly Denzel's performance.

(Don't even get me started on religion's place in Governments and schools or the less than savory teachings you can find in the bible.)

Where do you live that they forced you to watch Book of Eli?

Where do you live that they forced you to watch Book of Eli?

ROFL!!!

Fish

i watched it and have to say Fish i don't know where your comming from. it didn't remind me at all of the Gunslinger.

it was a good movie, and the surprise about Eli was ruined for me before i watche dthe movie so no "OMG" at the end. it was on par with the regular apocolypse are movies and a very good & realistic concept on the power religion would have in a godless world.

No it was blah, heck even the remake of the crazies was better.

The characters were cardboard cut outs, the story was uninspired and the twist was silly.

Denzel was good but then he always is. Check him out in The Fallen.

Now The Road was a far better movie of that type but then it didn't have any action or Gary Oldman in it so.....

Every film souls have Oldman in it.

it was good! Not HUGELY reminiscant of the gunslinger though, although the bar fight scene did remind me of Tull a bit. Fight scenes in general were pretty awesome tbh.

I was enjoying everything until right at the end were the last 2 minutes were spoiled by the little, "hey i'm Mila Kunis and i'm badass!", bit.

No mila, your not badass, Hot yes. But not badass.

Good film, 7.5/10 i recon.

Theres nothing wrong with religion being in movies (or governments - or schools, for that matter).

Hey Fish. Though it pains me to do it (as I usually agree with you on most of thins) I have to disagree with you here. Movies - yes (it's all personal choice) but government and schools - I'd say no. Nothing wrong with religion (or philosophy of it at the core). But most religions (or at least major ones) have some very bad ideas and teaching (in writing). Now, one may argue that it does not mean it's all bad, but the bottom line is that men (and it is 99% men) will use the teachings to manipulate, conquer, and/or subjugate people. Once again, religion of itself is not that bad, but once it enters the sphere of government (though I would argue that it already has) and/or schools it's being taken way too seriously.

Hey Fish. Though it pains me to do it (as I usually agree with you on most of thins) I have to disagree with you here. Movies - yes (it's all personal choice) but government and schools - I'd say no. Nothing wrong with religion (or philosophy of it at the core). But most religions (or at least major ones) have some very bad ideas and teaching (in writing). Now, one may argue that it does not mean it's all bad, but the bottom line is that men (and it is 99% men) will use the teachings to manipulate, conquer, and/or subjugate people. Once again, religion of itself is not that bad, but once it enters the sphere of government (though I would argue that it already has) and/or schools it's being taken way too seriously.

Netslider, great post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and I'd like to clarify mine a bit:

I think there is a big difference in *Taught* and *Forced* ... or *Taught* and *Followed*

What I mean is, yes I think religion should be taught in schools. But I also think Communism should be taught - that doesn't mean I think kids should grow up to be Communists.

With any type of knowledge, you run the risk of people using that knowledge to manipulate and conquer - knowledge IS power, after all - but you have to give people the ACCESS to that knowledge. If you don't, you are taking away that CHOICE we talked about above - then you are right back in the Dark Ages.

JMO

Fish

LynchGrinch, Red, Sam Vines, OTT

LG )glad you saw it!) and Red ... I found alot of similarity to DT, but then, I LOVE DT so maybe I was looking too hard, lol. But, Eli's travel's and need to find the ''Library'' and keep heading ''West'' reminded me so much of the Gunslinger's need to find the DT and follow the ''Path of the Beam'' .... The town shootout of course reminded me of Tull and Eli himself reminded me a bit of the Gunslinger.

Now, I know that alot of these themes are the typical elements in both End of World and Westerns - in fact, the fact that these themes are so common were what inspired King to write Gunslinger in the first place.

OTT - We can disagree on this one. At least it lets me know you have high standards ;)Thanks for the tip about ''Fallen'' - ill check it out! Also, try ''Man on Fire'' - another great excuse for Denzel to just wade through streets being a Badass, lol.

Sam - I liked it too :)

P.S. - Mila Kunis is disgustingly hot. And for those that like her, Google/IMBD ''Lindsey Hartley'' - they could be twins and both Smoke.

Mila's mom (Jennifer Beals) in the movie is actually pretty hot too, lol.

Fish

Netslider, great post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and I'd like to clarify mine a bit:

I think there is a big difference in *Taught* and *Forced* ... or *Taught* and *Followed*

What I mean is, yes I think religion should be taught in schools. But I also think Communism should be taught - that doesn't mean I think kids should grow up to be Communists.

With any type of knowledge, you run the risk of people using that knowledge to manipulate and conquer - knowledge IS power, after all - but you have to give people the ACCESS to that knowledge. If you don't, you are taking away that CHOICE we talked about above - then you are right back in the Dark Ages.

JMO

Fish

I completely agree with you on choice. If you ask me I think that our whole lives come to our choices and the choices of others (destiny is something we create and is not pre-written by anything or anyone). The issue is that we have close to 2000 years of example when religion was on top and the mandate it wielded. People were not free to have choice. Now, that does not mean we cut religion out completely as a revenge (though we all have more than enough reasons to be very skeptical and scrupulous of any organized religion), but because there is a large amount of different religions and faiths (besides smaller ones that do not make it on the list of the governments classifications as religions) there is no fair way to have them presented in public or educational sectors. The science, on the other hand, is only one. There are different disciplines of science and different subjects, but the scientific method is constant and thus represents all of the subjects equally. I think that most people don't recognize this fact and thus group religion with science. They are completely two different beasts. It does not mean they don't belong at all in our lives, but they should be recognized and addressed in different manners. Education should be handled on a scientific method (in schools and universities) and religious studies should be handled on religious grounds (the places of worship and such). When it comes to the government - it should stay out of it all together (religion and science research) all together, unless either of the two becomes a tentative threat to human wellbeing. IMO of coursesmile.gif

JMO

Fish

I completely agree with you on choice. If you ask me I think that our whole lives come to our choices and the choices of others (destiny is something we create and is not pre-written by anything or anyone). The issue is that we have close to 2000 years of example when religion was on top and the mandate it wielded. People were not free to have choice. Now, that does not mean we cut religion out completely as a revenge (though we all have more than enough reasons to be very skeptical and scrupulous of any organized religion), but because there is a large amount of different religions and faiths (besides smaller ones that do not make it on the list of the governments classifications as religions) there is no fair way to have them presented in public or educational sectors. The science, on the other hand, is only one. There are different disciplines of science and different subjects, but the scientific method is constant and thus represents all of the subjects equally. I think that most people don't recognize this fact and thus group religion with science. They are completely two different beasts. It does not mean they don't belong at all in our lives, but they should be recognized and addressed in different manners. Education should be handled on a scientific method (in schools and universities) and religious studies should be handled on religious grounds (the places of worship and such). When it comes to the government - it should stay out of it all together (religion and science research) all together, unless either of the two becomes a tentative threat to human wellbeing. IMO of coursesmile.gif

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Netslider :)

Fish

Archived