DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Burn Me! Blood and Bloody Ashes!

martianblues

I've found myself at times uttering some of the curses used in WoT, especially after hearing them spoken aloud listening to the audio books. I've used "Burn Me" and "Blood and ashes" before without trying to and I always pause and chuckle at it. I've also used "Thank the Light" and got some funny looks.

What are you're favorite curses and/or insults from WoT? There have been a lot of very amusing ones. One of my favorites is Suian's "Fish Guts!" :mad:

and Uno trying not to curse, that was just hilarious.

I like almost all curses. And cultural insults. But "sheep swallop and bloody buttered onion" is a great one. I don't know what it can means, but I like :) "Blood of my Fathers Forgotten", or wasn't there somethi.g with Hawkwing's barb, or something? Leilwin wasn't very pleased at hearing it...

The problem is that it doesn't sound good in french. "Que je brûle!" For Burn me! "Sang et sacrés cendres" for blood and bloody ashes (too much old school in my opinion). So I never use them. Except when I'm drunk. In those case, I either speak german or curse in english :) I then dropped the french version, so I don't know what the other curses are translated into.

The problem is that it doesn't sound good in french. "Que je brûle!" For Burn me! "Sang et sacrés cendres" for blood and bloody ashes (too much old school in my opinion). So I never use them. Except when I'm drunk. In those case, I either speak german or curse in english :) I then dropped the french version, so I don't know what the other curses are translated into.

Sang et sacrés cendres. :smile: I actually like those in French. I wonder if they have the audio books in French, that might be funny to listen to.

I like almost all curses. And cultural insults. But "sheep swallop and bloody buttered onion" is a great one. I don't know what it can means, but I like :) "Blood of my Fathers Forgotten", or wasn't there somethi.g with Hawkwing's barb, or something? Leilwin wasn't very pleased at hearing it...

"Sang et sacrés cendres" i have to say that i actually like it. Like from the Matrix when Merovinchian (sp) guys curses in French - it's just so melodic biggrin.gif. In Russian it would sound like you're trying to eat puppies - "Krov' i krovavyi pepel" - sounds ridiculous!

c'mon "Mothers milk in a cup" has gotta be the best one out there, i love it in tGS when one of the Aes Sedai (can't remeber who :/) says it and egwene reply with..."quite." or something like that.

WoT is fullof awesome speech that I cant help but using in real life, like "LIGHT!" as an exclaimation or of course the usual "blood and bloody ashes"...awesome

Sang et sacrés cendres. :smile: I actually like those in French. I wonder if they have the audio books in French, that might be funny to listen to.

Hey, would like it! But I personnaly want to hear them in VO. Would be better. Far better.

@NetSlider : funny in russian! And it's not funny for us to hear the Merovingien speak his curse. For one they are too well-known, and the rest of the film is in the same language, so no difference. (It remind me of the, WoT in french, when there are annotations saying "in french in the text" I vividly remember Moiraine saying : "Perrin! Is Perrin in there, too? Did he share your... exploit?"(emphasis mine) in tSR, ch. 15 "Into the doorway". It makes me somewhat proud of my language. I can't be too pride with my country in those times. It's chaotic over here. It is like Arad Doman. The DO is flaming stirring in Shayol Ghul!

Hey, would like it! But I personnaly want to hear them in VO. Would be better. Far better.

@NetSlider : funny in russian! And it's not funny for us to hear the Merovingien speak his curse. For one they are too well-known, and the rest of the film is in the same language, so no difference. (It remind me of the, WoT in french, when there are annotations saying "in french in the text" I vividly remember Moiraine saying : "Perrin! Is Perrin in there, too? Did he share your... exploit?"(emphasis mine) in tSR, ch. 15 "Into the doorway". It makes me somewhat proud of my language. I can't be too pride with my country in those times. It's chaotic over here. It is like Arad Doman. The DO is flaming stirring in Shayol Ghul!

I have to say looking from outside in (from US, born in Ukraine, and first seven years of my life spent in freaking Siberia (no joke)) I more and more have respect for one aspect of French people - say what you want but they will protect their rights and will "check and balance" their government. You guys organize like no one else in the world. i guess it has its setbacks as well, but at least it seems people are in control for the most part and your politicians at least somewhat follow the will of people. Than again, i'm an outsider looking in (though a friend of my family was in French foreign legion (the elite force one, something to do with jumping out of airplanes all the timebiggrin.gif) for many years (he still serves i think) and he says that it's very nice in Paris (he lives there for about 15 years now).

You all have too high an opinion of what happens here. It is a real chaos. Mobs, hypocrisy, a struggle for power and influence among politicians. It isn't politic anymore, but Daes Dar'Mar... Roms (european tinkers) are being kicked out, repression is being used and cops are paranoid of terrorism, curfews are almost being organized in bad suburbs. You almost certainly heard of Lilliane Bethencourt, or Jerome Kerviel and the 4.9 billions he stole to a bank. This goes crazy. And when I look at it all, I think : "Blood and flaming bloody ashes!!", or "Mother's milk in a cup!", whatever it means. But Merovingien's type of swearing is pretty od in those situations : ). It went tangent...

Other than all the curses listed, I don't see any others...

You all have too high an opinion of what happens here. It is a real chaos. Mobs, hypocrisy, a struggle for power and influence among politicians. It isn't politic anymore, but Daes Dar'Mar... Roms (european tinkers) are being kicked out, repression is being used and cops are paranoid of terrorism, curfews are almost being organized in bad suburbs. You almost certainly heard of Lilliane Bethencourt, or Jerome Kerviel and the 4.9 billions he stole to a bank. This goes crazy. And when I look at it all, I think : "Blood and flaming bloody ashes!!", or "Mother's milk in a cup!", whatever it means.

It seems like the whole bloody flaming world has gone mad lately. The Light help us!

You all have too high an opinion of what happens here. It is a real chaos. Mobs, hypocrisy, a struggle for power and influence among politicians. It isn't politic anymore, but Daes Dar'Mar... Roms (european tinkers) are being kicked out, repression is being used and cops are paranoid of terrorism, curfews are almost being organized in bad suburbs. You almost certainly heard of Lilliane Bethencourt, or Jerome Kerviel and the 4.9 billions he stole to a bank. This goes crazy. And when I look at it all, I think : "Blood and flaming bloody ashes!!", or "Mother's milk in a cup!", whatever it means.

It seems like the whole bloody flaming world has gone mad lately. The Light help us!

Sometimes I wonder is this is just part of a regular historical and sociological progression (or regression, depends who you ask) or if this is really 'different' situation from the ones before. I guess people always thought they were living in special times, but I have to say that from talking to my older relatives our time indeed seems to be a bit chaotic. Lord of Chaos seems to rule. We all need to get our memory of light! wink.gif

Archived