DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Re-Readthrough Advice

FrankNeumann

I'm trying to cram a Re-read of the series in before ToM. It's starting to look tight. I'm about to finish up book five. I have an atroctious memory, but I know that WoT takes a big dive for a couple books, a bit after this if I recall correctly, or maybe it was even this book. But the point is, I know for awhile it feels like nothing at all happens, all the elayne chapters with her in Andor feel pointless, as well as Perrin chasing Faile. Things like that. Would you folks recommend skipping a book or two, since I have read it before anyways. If so, which books, and what are the highlights of said books, or things I should recall before moving forward.

Also, I apologize if this is the wrong place.

I would say chapters 10-15 of CoT (Elayne), or if you want to cut more than that do 5-22(Perrin, Faile, Elayne, Egwene, and White Tower), 4 being a Mat chapter and 23 being the first Rand chapter. Then Perrin (axe/hammer) Mat(something flickers) and Egwene's capture gets you ready for KoD.

Truthfully if it's only your first re-read then I recommend not skipping anything at all because you'd be surprised at what you miss the first time. I can't agree that WoT takes a dive at any point other than mid-CoT (or possibly the Mat-less PoD) if you're reading it straight through. To be able to pick up the next book and keep going without waiting a few years makes the 'less exciting' parts much more bearable. Sanderson even commented on his website before TGS came out that when he did his read-through before writing he couldn't understand the criticism of CoT. There's good writing in there and it leads very smoothly into the much more exciting KoD. Waiting 2 more years for KoD made it downright disappointing though.

Based on your memory I recommend one of two things:

1.) Do a complete reread to reremember as much as you can

2.) Don't bother because you'll forget it all in like a week anyways.

I personally would choose option 1, but my memory is pretty good so I like to see what I missed the last time around.

Based on experiance, i'd do a complete re-read. yeah some chapters are increadably boring but not untill WH and CoT and even then you should give them a shot but maby at a faster pace, you'll miss alot otherwise. Don't even consider missing out a whole book!

I wish i had started a complete re-read but instead i just did KoD and tGS but now i'm finished them and it seems pointless to backtrack :sad:, i should have started at WH probably or something, but i couldn't stomach reading my two least fave WoT books in a non-complete Re-Read.

Based on experiance, i'd do a complete re-read. yeah some chapters are increadably boring but not untill WH and CoT and even then you should give them a shot but maby at a faster pace, you'll miss alot otherwise. Don't even consider missing out a whole book!

I wish i had started a complete re-read but instead i just did KoD and tGS but now i'm finished them and it seems pointless to backtrack :sad:, i should have started at WH probably or something, but i couldn't stomach reading my two least fave WoT books in a non-complete Re-Read.

Thanks everyone. Your information has all been very helpful indeed.

But Lynch, you should have started earlier, at least book two, I've gotten so much out of re-reading from the start.

But Lynch, you should have started earlier, at least book two, I've gotten so much out of re-reading from the start.

I know! it makes me sad, but hell. Whats done is done, and there will be plenty more re-reads to come...i've already ran through 7 or 8 times ( i think :dry: ). But it's been a while since i've picked up some of the best books in the series like tSR of tFoH. :sad:

I'll recommend Dr. Samuel Johnson's method of how to judge a book - Open a page at random. Read a couple of pages. Take another page at random. Read a couple of pages. Repeat till you've teased the meat out of the matter.

When appended to this series, you pick a book, open a page at random, read that chapter from the beginning. Repeat till satisfied.

I know! it makes me sad, but hell. Whats done is done, and there will be plenty more re-reads to come...i've already ran through 7 or 8 times ( i think :dry: ). But it's been a while since i've picked up some of the best books in the series like tSR of tFoH. :sad:

You have a whole new chance before the next book!

You have a whole new chance before the next book!

I suppose i do at that. I'd have to be damn fast though...a book every few days.

When a new WoT book comes out i finish it within the day. no exceptions. but re-reads are differant...i'll give it a bash...maby from tGH though, i can't find tEoTW...and i have two copies! i need to stop lending books out :dry:

Archived