DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Quistion on agelessness

Jarred Darque

Maybe it has been discussed before, but I have missed it.

OK, after being stilled, the agelessness goes away.

The Kin do not show the agelessness.

The Damage do not show the agelessness.

The Wise Ones do not show the agelessness.

(We know that they live longer, and look younger than their years, in so far as the Kin and Wise Ones are concerned...do not know about Damane)

This leads me to believe that the agelessness, along with why Aes Sedai do not live as long as the Kin and Wise Ones, is tied to the placement of the Oaths, which are broken upon stilling.

(Otherwise, you would also have some life-long accepted that have it too....from what I can figure, it really shows up within 5-10 years of being raised to the shawl, so for Moraine and Suiane, that would be around 11-16 years using the power, and there are some accepted who have been there from what we can tell, at least 10-15 years)

So, my question is this.

Wouldn't members of the Black lose their ageless qualities since the three oaths are removed from them?

I am just throwing this out there, I know that Sanderson has mentioned that there is something big in books 4-6 that has not been discussed. (His B.U.T) or whatever it was.

I am not on the boards all that often, so if it has been found out in the last few months I do not know about it, I may be making a few posts on topics in the next month or two while I make it through books 4-6 again.

Maybe it has been discussed before, but I have missed it.

OK, after being stilled, the agelessness goes away.

The Kin do not show the agelessness.

The Damage do not show the agelessness.

The Wise Ones do not show the agelessness.

(We know that they live longer, and look younger than their years, in so far as the Kin and Wise Ones are concerned...do not know about Damane)

This leads me to believe that the agelessness, along with why Aes Sedai do not live as long as the Kin and Wise Ones, is tied to the placement of the Oaths, which are broken upon stilling.

(Otherwise, you would also have some life-long accepted that have it too....from what I can figure, it really shows up within 5-10 years of being raised to the shawl, so for Moraine and Suiane, that would be around 11-16 years using the power, and there are some accepted who have been there from what we can tell, at least 10-15 years)

So, my question is this.

Wouldn't members of the Black lose their ageless qualities since the three oaths are removed from them?

I am just throwing this out there, I know that Sanderson has mentioned that there is something big in books 4-6 that has not been discussed. (His B.U.T) or whatever it was.

I am not on the boards all that often, so if it has been found out in the last few months I do not know about it, I may be making a few posts on topics in the next month or two while I make it through books 4-6 again.

Thats all good. As it happens, this exact topic has just been posted (within days) but everyone should be happy to answer.

First of all, you are correct concerning the Oaths/Agelessness. That is the cause.

As to the Black Ajah, they do not lose theagelessness because they re-swear oaths to the DO on the binder.

Remember Talene with the BA hunters in the WT. She could not reveal the BA plans because she had sworn on the binder.

Thus, we see the BA hunters force her to un-swear her BA oaths.

So in summary, while the BA remove the 3 Oaths, they are replaced with BA oaths.

I'm guessing you haven't yet made it through all of the books. I will try to avoid specific spoilers, but yes this is something that is figured out by some of the main characters as the books progress, it is also related to why the Aes Sedai think that the Kin have lied about their ages. In the most recent book, tgs, you find out exactly what one of the oaths the BA swears is.

I have made it through all the books about 5 times, well, the last book only twice, this will be the third, but I do not remember much of the small details. I know that Egwene puts two and two together on the age that the Kin and W.O.s live, but don't remember her commenting on the agelessness.

I'm not really sure if the ageless look has been remarked upon (except by one of the Forsaken...Sammael? can't remember, but one of them recognized it as a mark of multiple bindings) but it's a short logical leap that it's the effect of the Oath Rod. The mechanism by which the ageless look is achieved is that it tightens the swearer's wrinkles out -- Moiraine and Egwene thought about how it felt like all their excess skin felt pinched up at the base of their spines, and it makes their skin feel tight for quite a while afterwards. It's 3rd Age Botox.

Archived