DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I think the Kindle is pretty swell

The Fisher King

I don't mean this as an advertisment for them, and I'm not connected to them in any way, but I just wanted to give credit where its do ... I had never had a Kindle or anything even remotely like that ... but when I heard you could get it for free, I chose to do so last night in order to obtain Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson's Distinctions.

I have to say: I am very impressed and think its very cool. Im not tech-savvy. TRUST me on THAT!!! - LOL!!! ;)

But its just really cool. For me, NOTHING will EVER replace the feel and the...PRESENCE of an old fashioned BOOK in my hands......you folks should see my (three, lol) paperback copies of The Shadow Rising, lol.

BUT. As an alternative, this is very neat.

Also, I have discovered that lots of FREE books are available ''out there'' to download for it.

I just got this one that I downloaded for free just to experiment with it and get a feel for the process (total random selection) and its actually a really good book, LOL!!!

Its called Weapons of Choice by John Birmingham.

I just wanted to share that.

Happy Week :)

...where'd my coffee go...? ;)

Fish

... but when I heard you could get it for free, I chose to do so last night...

Fish

um, what?

you got a free Kindle? how did you do that?

I feel bad now - I probably should have clarified. I was referring to *Kindle For PC* and, as far as I am still aware, you can download it to your computer for free anytime you want. I got mine a couple days ago through Amazon. And, to give credit where its due, I believe I followed a link someone posted here.

Fish

As a romantic, the idea of an electronic reading device seemed unnatural and ridiculous when I first heard of such a thing.

However, I recently purchased one because I will be abroad for around 4 months, and it is such a pain to lug around a ton of books...and I read a ton.

So, in perspective, I think the Kindle will be good for my travels because it's easy and a whole lot smaller than 10-15 books. I still haven't gotten it because the shipping is taking forever, and I CAN'T WAIT!

I can hardly read anything online at all; my eyes are slightly light sensitive, so if I sit here and try to read something for more than thirty minutes on a bright screen, I get a debilitating migraine. So...I hope they never attempt to get rid of physical books, because I will be screwed over.

So...what does that mean ? It is hard for me to imagine a screen format that is not giving off any light. Oh, and Krak, do you have any idea what is going on in BORH? I am a recruit, and there was a post that says the training program is suspended, and I am not too sure what to do. Might as well throw that out there now, if you can help.

Ikkarus just go and mess around in any of the regiments.

If anyone moans send them my way as it seems I am in charge of the Cavalry until Canis can get back on.

I was actually trying to get more info on the Kindle. I presume u buy an electronic copy of the book and if so how much do they usually cost?

The Kindle is nifty but there is nothing that beats the feel of a real book in your hands. I also like having a lot of books in my bookshelves, it makes for a nice decoration.

But wait until you need to move. :biggrin:

The last ten years I've moved seven times (granted it's been two different households). Even with an entire wall lined with bookshelves filled with books, it's not that much of a hassle really.

Ikkarus just go and mess around in any of the regiments.

If anyone moans send them my way as it seems I am in charge of the Cavalry until Canis can get back on.

I was actually trying to get more info on the Kindle. I presume u buy an electronic copy of the book and if so how much do they usually cost?

Yeah, after a week or so you can choose which regiment you want to join. I'm the leader of the Infantry right now, but we aren't too active because we only have 3 members and the move threw things off.

The screen of the Kindle doesn't give off a glare in sunlight, it's made to look like a book. It also doesn't use LED lights, so it doesn't strain/hurt your eyes.

The Kindle has it's own internet called "whispernet" that's super fast and exclusive to the Kindle. You buy books off the whispernet which is 3G so you get it anywhere and they download wirelessly and charge whatever card or paypal you have linked to amazon.com. Generally, the Kindle ebooks are less than their paper counterparts; Amazon says new books cost $9.99 and older books cost less, etc. Also, they give away a bunch of free books (old classics among others), and I think there are like over 800,000 free books available. Also, it can read pdf's and play music (in limited quantities) and has access for a flash drive. You can also download books to your computer and then sync your computer with the Kindle and transfer them that way.

I'm actually a big Barnes & Noble fan, that's where I buy all my books and where I'm a member, so I downloaded the Nook application on my smart phone (droid eris by HTC for Verizon) so I could read the prologue for ToM. I don't plan on using it anymore though. In theory the Kindle or the Nook (I would probably go Nook if I bought any of them) is awesome. I live 2 hours away from the closest book store, and so when I go I have to stock up on books, so it would be awesome to have a little electornic hand held "book" and be able to have pretty much whatever book I want in like 5 secs.

In reality, for me, though it's just another piece of expensive equipment that I have to look after and make sure I don't ruin. Also, though technology is awesome, it kind of runs our lives these days, and nothing, I mean nothing beats the feel of walking into a book store and spending hours looking at the different books and finally making a purchase of one and physically having in to put on the book shelf.

Also I take tons of bubble baths XD and I always bring a book to read while I'm chilaxing in the bath. I definitely wouldn't take a kindle/Nook into the bath with me because I'm a klutz and accidents happen no matter how careful you are, so that would ruin my baths for me and that would just be sad. So all in all, though the electronic hand held books are cool, I don't think I would ever get one.

Regarding the Kindle - What is the battery life? And does it get warm, like a laptop? And is it spill-proof?

@Imperium - I heard that e-books are cheaper than the paperbacks, with bestsellers at 10 dollars ('round). @Ikkarus - eInk means it looks just like a book, meaning the screen doesn't emit light, so no headaches. Light has to reflect off the device. Also you can download a LOT of free books (out of copyright - I believe they have Goethe - in German and English) from Project Gutenberg, when you're in a cash crunch.

Carrying 3000 books - is just WOW. I'll get one when I can afford it - :sad: which wont be anytime soon.

my thoughts on ereaders are that i think they are cool but i too like books on my shelves and the feel of holding a book. But when they start offering a free ebook download with the purchase of a hardback like they offer a digital copy of a movie when you buy the dvd, i want to get one but i dont see my self wanting to spend money on just an ebook

In August there were two books I wanted to buy, The Bear and Way of Kings, I went to my local Waldenbooks for the first one and they didn't have it. This happened the last time I was there, in April, and they didn't have the newest Dresden book unpacked and on the floor by open, on its release date, a best selling author.

Well I didn't want to wait 3-5 days to read my favorite authors and I didn't want to drive an hour to the closest B&N so I said to myself, "screw it, I'll download a Kindle."

Now I can get my favorite authors before the bookstore even opens. But I'll still get ToM in hard copy.

Check this if you have an Android smartphone - it has plenty of non-copyrighted works freely downloadable. I suggest Gulliver's Travels, The Illiad, The Origin of Species, The Art of War, The Book of Five Rings, War and Peace, Crime and Punishment, On War and Thus Spoke Zarathustra/Also Spoke Zarathustra.

I absolutely love my Kindle. I used to be one of those people that thought it could never replace the feel of real books, or that I would miss my weekly bookstore trips. That belief lasted about 2 months with the kindle. I found that the feel of the kindle (with the bookish cover it comes with) actually became preferable to a real book. I found that until you don't have to do it anymore, turning pages is a real pain in the butt. I can now make myself a sandwich or other meal without having to stop reading, just lay the kindle on the counter and click a button to change the page and never even have to worry about losing my place. And when it comes to actually getting books, the kindle completely kicks the ass of going to the books store. In a bookstore if I want recommendations or to find out what other books I might like based on what I have already enjoyed I'd have to talk to someone. The Kindle provides me with all that info on demand. Never again will I have to worry about finding a decent book to read for a decent price. And let's talk about book prices. Yes the kindle version of a paper back is generally equivalent with a real world paper back, but new releases, those are way cheaper than I would ever pay in a bookstore.

I just upgraded to an IPad (no, i'm not rich just have very guilty parents). I have to say it's decent for reading but not even close to the Kindle's class. Ipad reads like reading from a computer screen (eye strain, etc) the Kindle reads like a book and never once caused me to get any of the symptoms I get when using a computer screen.

I really like mine. The main reason, now don't judge, is I can have my toast and bananas in the morning before work and read my book without having to place my phone on the pages to weight them down or place the plate on it.

Also I don't live anywhere near a decent bookstore so it's handy in that regard.

The screen is quite amazing and when you get one and open it prepare for a suprize.

The inbuilt dictionary is handy.

Reading with one hand is handy for in bed, eating or driving the car.

It cuts down on paper and frees up space in the house. I've a shocking amount of nooks and storage us a prob. Just the Terry practhett books alone dominate the study.

The charge is impressive, very impressive. I have it a week and I've read the way of kings and it's stool on full charge according to the battery.

Okay skipping pages by accident is irksome but so is dropping your book.

I can hardly read anything online at all; my eyes are slightly light sensitive, so if I sit here and try to read something for more than thirty minutes on a bright screen, I get a debilitating migraine. So...I hope they never attempt to get rid of physical books, because I will be screwed over.

I had a friend with the same problem. I don't know what I would do. I'm forever on my computer reading. But there is good news. Both the Nook and Kindle have Eink which means they look just like he printed page. There is no backlighting. That was one of the selling points for me when I bought my Nook. It looked like someone stuck a printed page under the screen.

My husband has a Kindle on order now so soon I will be able to do some comparing.

• 2 weeks later...

To answer the FAQs.

I recharge my Kindle's battery ONCE A MONTH. And that's with a couple days worth of life left. (Leaving wireless off)

My eyes NEVER strain with Kindle. ( With Tv and CPU they do after long hours)

It doesn't get warm at all.

It can take a few drops. Large spills directly on the screen I don't know.

Books like Way of Kings literally take less than 10 secs before you are reading.(I haven't read a WoT book on Kindle.) I usually buy paper, but this time I'm going Kindle because of delivery problems with Gathering Storm.

Plus you can SEARCH the books! Makes finding a particular pov and reference a breeze.

Plus unlimited bookmarks and highlights.

I hate giving big business money as much as the next guy, but this thing is awesome and it cost 3x lest than my phone!

• 3 weeks later...

I got my wife a Pandigital Novel book reader because her arthritis makes it tough to hold a large hardcover book. It's like a Kindle, but links to Barnes & Noble instead of Amazon. It also has a color screen, a web browser, a POP3 e-mail client, an MP3 player, a photo slideshow app, and an SD card slot so she can have her chip full of books and I can have mine when we go on vacation.

If interested, you can see it at:

http://www.pandigital.net/

Archived