DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Covina ~ Feel the Power ~ Channeling Class

Guest Allisa

Guest Allisa

Chinara sat atop a rock outcropping, legs folded gracefully beneath her bulky wool gown and her hair swept beneath her shawl, now intricately folded around her head to keep off the worst of the sun. Circled around her like a flock of birds sat the children of the Hold. Several of the smaller boys, instead of sitting, crouched low clutching imaginary spears as they listened to the old Wise One recount the story of Laman’s Sin, and not a few girls as well. Chinara had a knack for storytelling, for bringing a tale to life.

Though she spotted Covina waiting patiently to one side she continued at the same pace delighting the children with the imaginary sights and sounds of battle, the dramatic tale of Laman’s death during the dance and descriptions of the fifth brought back to the Three Fold Land from the wetlands. When she finally shooed the children away, with promises of a more in depth description of Laman’s death on the morrow, she gestured the Apprentice forward.

“I see you Covina. Sit, child.†The Wise One studied her from her rocky seat as one might an ant crawling across the floor of the desert. The silence lengthened and the sun crawled higher. Neither moved - simply took one another’s measure. Finally the older woman smiled, flashing teeth so white they nearly blinded, “Alisis’ dream was true then. I can sense it. A good thing seeing as how I’ve traveled so far.â€

Gracefully the old woman descended from her rocky throne and flashing a sign at the young woman who cast the Wise One a startled glance but obediently followed. Rumor had struggled for years to place the woman’s age with each whisper contradicting the last. Only one thing was known for certain. She had once been a Maiden of the Spear. And now stood high among the Wise Ones of every Sept. While most people walked lightly around Wise Ones in general around Chinara they walked the lightest of all.

She led Covina through the Hold at a brisk pace speaking over her shoulder as she did so, “I have heard many things of you, Covina but we will not discuss those things now. Know this however, I was once Far Dareis Mai and I will stand for none of your nonsense.†The old woman whirled around and assumed a sorrowful expression, “Poor me, no longer able to run with the spears like a child! My life no longer my own†Casting a dramatic pose, hand to her forehead Chinara grimaced, “Responsibility thrust on me without my consent, my destiny denied me.†Making a disgusted sound deep in her throat the old woman glared at Covina, “You may be able to use that on the others but just remember girl I was a Maiden long before your mother’s mother was born and a Wise One before you were even a twinkle in your mother’s eye.†Turning she led the girl toward the Wise One’s Roof, past the other Apprentices who watched from the corners of their eyes and into her private rooms. Here she grunted a bit as she settled on the cushions. When Covina started to do the same the old woman glared at her until the Apprentice stood awkwardly once more.

“Your first lesson as my student, Covina, will be submission.†The Wise One chuckled at her charge’s expression, “Don’t like that at all do you? But unfortunately you will never be able to realize your full potential until you have surrendered yourself to your fate and your power. Now I will tell you things only a Wise One knows.†Sweeping her shawl from her head and revealing her nearly snow white hair, still cut short in the style of the Maidens Chinara adjusted the shawl around her shoulders. “There are those among the Aiel who like the Aes Sedai of the wetlands can channel. I see you have suspected as much, most Aiel do though they never speak of it. What you may not suspect Covina, is that you are one of those women.â€

Without waiting to let this news sink in Chinara went on, “If you do not learn to first submit and then control this power it can destroy you. Today you will begin. Look closely at me child, do you not see anything unusual?†The Wise One waited until the girl before her gasped, “I have been holding the Power since you first approached me in the Hold. If you had but concentrated you would have seen it then. In the future you must pay closer attention. At some point in the future you will be able to sense the ability in any woman and young girls as well.â€

Finally she gestured for the Apprentice to sit, “Clear your mind of all things. Sweep it as clear as the sands after the storm. Let go your resentment, your disappointment. Release yourself to the Power, let it flow over you. A woman must be a tree that bends in the wind. Bend, Covina or you will surely break.â€

She waited impatiently as the Apprentice obeyed.

Seeing the joy of Saidar on Covina’s face after so many days of sullen determination lightened Chinara’s heart, though of course she let nothing in her expression show. Instead she frowned severely and reached out one bony hand to tap the Apprentice sharply on the forehead.

“Now use your head, girl. The reason the people only suspect that Wise Ones can channel is due to the fact that we rarely, if ever, do. Let loose the Source. Now.†Chinara waited until her student had done as she was told. “The next time I tell you release it more quickly. The Power is seductive, addictive. You will never touch the Power of Saidar unless granted permission from a Wise One to do so. Any bending or breaking of these rules will be dealt with more harshly than you can imagine.†Chinara leaned forward and peered into Covina’s eyes, “Unless of course you’d like being shipped off to the White Tower? Forced to wear white like a gaishain and dance attendance on Aes Sedai? No? That is only a part of the reason we keep our powers secret, child, but it is certainly the most important reason.â€

Adjusting her shawl the old Wise One nodded, “Now, embrace the Source once more and simply hold it.†Once Covina had accomplished this the Wise One then directed her to let it slip away once more. This process was repeated for the rest of the day, at times Chinara directing Covina to release more slowly or so swiftly it felt nearly as sharp as being shielded. “At the beginning of each lesson you will do this. Your control must be absolute and you must train yourself to let the Source go, feeling no loss. Aes Sedai may cling to the Power like weak wetlanders do but none among the Aiel shall.â€

“Now you will reduce your contact to the Power to the barest trickle, allowing only the slightest bit to reach you.†Again and again she demanded Covina demonstrate, until she was sure the young woman could do so at will.

Finally the Wise One called a halt and allowed her student to draw in the Power once more. “Until you grow more adept you will be able to see my weaving more clearly if you hold the Power yourself.†Deftly with a skill borne of lifetimes Chinara wove five separate strands of Saidar into the air between the two women. Each shone to Covina’s eyes with a resonance that entranced. “These are the five elements. Fire and Earth.†As the older woman spoke each strand brightened, one by one. “Spirit and Air. And of course Water.†Both women stared at the strand of Power with reverence. Even in this it was the most important.

“Study each carefully. You should be able to identify them in a glance, which is often all you will get when a Wise One channels.†Chinara let the strands fade away. “You remind me of a girl I knew once, Covina, when I was but an Apprentice, chafing at the restrictions and rules, always reaching for more. But you must remember if you draw too much of the Power into you it will destroy you. My near sister Jindayla did this and her ability to sense the Source vanished. Though she finished her Wise One training she died within a few years, years spent wishing for something she could never have again.†Chinara tipped her chin up almost proudly, “She was strong but once the Power left her she let her life slip away like sand through a child’s fingertips. Do not make me mourn another, Covina.â€

Chinara

NSW Wise One

OOC: ok hun I have to use Chinara for this class because Alisis cannot channel any questions pm or email or catch me in chat. Welcome back! This class used to be 10 posts but now we're combining it to total 5 posts.

Channeling was not something she had wanted or asked for. It was the reason she had to abandon her spear sisters, she despised the very idea. Today was to be her first lesson, and with Chinara. The woman was nothing short of a legend, but perhaps by now she was so on in years her wits had begun to slow. Covina tripped as she saw the women she was to have her lesson with. Now matter how many months passed she could not get used to the bulky shirts. Chinara was telling the story of Laman’s Sin. It was one Covina had heard many times, but she settled back to listen.

“I see you Covina, sit child†She took a seat across from the Wise One. For a time they observed each other. Covina could not shake the feeling that this woman could see inside her head. Finally the older woman smiled, flashing teeth so white they nearly blinded, “Alisis’ dream was true then. I can sense it. A good thing seeing as how I’ve traveled so far.†When the Wise One used Maiden Hand talk to single her Covina blinked in surprise but followed immediately, The tiraid that flowed from the womens mouth made Covina stop dead in her tracks. She had to jog to catch up. “I have heard many things of you, Covina but we will not discuss those things now. Know this however, I was once Far Dareis Mai and I will stand for none of your nonsense.†The old woman whirled around and assumed a sorrowful expression, “Poor me, no longer able to run with the spears like a child! My life no longer my own†Casting a dramatic pose, hand to her forehead Chinara grimaced, “Responsibility thrust on me without my consent, my destiny denied me.†Making a disgusted sound deep in her throat the old woman glared at Covina, “You may be able to use that on the others but just remember girl I was a Maiden long before your mother’s mother was born and a Wise One before you were even a twinkle in your mother’s eye.â€

Her throat felt dry as they stepped into the tent, without thinking Covina attempted to take her seat but with a harsh look from the Wise One she stood.

Submission? She had never submitted to anyone! She was a Maiden she was Far Dareis Mai to her toes! She…Covina’s eyes welled with tears only for a moment. She wanted to wail for her loss, but all she could do was listen and obey. At least in her dreams she still ran with her sisters.

“Clear your mind of all things. Sweep it as clear as the sands after the storm. Let go your resentment, your disappointment. Release yourself to the Power, let it flow over you. A woman must be a tree that bends in the wind. Bend, Covina or you will surely break.†The feeling of life, a pure bust of ecstasy flowed through her, everything was clear and crisp the whisper of her skirts as she shifted rang in her ears. Never before had she felt such joy! All thoughts of loss were gone, she had never know life until she felt this. Covina jumped when she felt a finger tap her forhead. “Now use your head, girl. The reason the people only suspect that Wise Ones can channel is due to the fact that we rarely, if ever, do. Let loose the Source. Now.â€

As she let go Covina wanted to sink to the carpets, she wanted that feeling again.

Every moment that she held the power was joy, and without was agony. Her lessons stretched into the day. Her head began to bead with sweat as she followed the Wise Ones directions.

“Now you will reduce your contact to the Power to the barest trickle, allowing only the slightest bit to reach you.†Again and again she demanded Covina demonstrate, until she was sure the young woman could do so at will.

Finally the Wise One called a halt and allowed her student to draw in the Power once more. “Until you grow more adept you will be able to see my weaving more clearly if you hold the Power yourself.â€

The weaves she saw in front of her bloomed with color. “Study each carefully. You should be able to identify them in a glance, which is often all you will get when a Wise One channels.â€

Covina would not have to be told twice to study and practice. She was addicted to the feeling. Despite the warning she had received Covina could not wait to be alone in her tents that evening. As if Chinara had read her mind she spoke once more.

You remind me of a girl I knew once, Covina, when I was but an Apprentice, chafing at the restrictions and rules, always reaching for more. But you must remember if you draw too much of the Power into you it will destroy you. My near sister Jindayla did this and her ability to sense the Source vanished. Though she finished her Wise One training she died within a few years, years spent wishing for something she could never have again.†Chinara tipped her chin up almost proudly, “She was strong but once the Power left her she let her life slip away like sand through a child’s fingertips. Do not make me mourn another, Covina.â€

Covina left the tent in silence, her thoughts of ecstasy momentarily misplaced with worry.

Covina

Dreamwalker

When Covina presented herself at Chinara’s roof the next morning the effects of a long and worrisome night were apparent on her face. The Wise One on the other hand was practically cheerful, for an Aiel.

“I see you, Covina.†Chinara indicated the Apprentice should sit with her, “Have you broken your fast this morning? There is porridge if you like. You will need all your strength for today’s lesson.†Slyly the Wise One examined the girl’s pale face. “But perhaps you are not feeling well this morning?â€

Without waiting for an answer Chinara clapped her hands together sharply. The hide door opened to admit two older Apprentices whom Covina knew only in passing. Cheena’s blonde hair was cut as short as Covina but she lacked the tail of a Maiden and her blue eyes were more somber than a woman twice her age. Nearly as tall Tietsi’s long auburn curls were confined only by layers of her woolen shawl wrapped artfully round her head. Her blue eyes were full of merriment and laughter, even in the presence of Chinara. They sat on either side of the younger girl, neither sparring her a glance though Tietsi pressed her hand in sympathy.

“This morning you will learn the importance of working together and how we are always stronger when surrounded by those whom we trust. This is so in everything. When gaishain grind the zemai they work together, alternating and sharing the task. When warriors dance with the enemy they depend on their brothers and sisters as if they were the same person. So too do Wise Ones depend and rely on one another.â€

“This is an important lesson,†Chinara’s eyes bored into Covina’s, “for there will rarely be a time you will hold the Power when another Wise One is not involved. It is not only for the strength gained but for the balance, the check against power ~ of any kind. Now, open yourself but do not hold the Power simply feel it.â€

When the bright nimbus of Saidar surrounded each girl Chinara herself let the Source flood into her. “Now, can you feel the difference? I have reached for the Source through each of you, using your connection to it to strengthen my own. You can no longer weave without my permission. Our circle is controlled by me. Now I am going to pass control to Tietsi and she shall pass it to Covina and so on until I tell you to stop.â€

Chinara watched them for nearly an hour then called an abrupt stop to their practice, “Now, before you become too exhausted I want the three of you to form a circle with Covina in control.†Once they had accomplished this the Wise One nodded with satisfaction, “Good now, Cheena.â€

Once they had all had a chance to control a circle Chinara sent the girls off to their chores with a strict reprimand to let any of the Wise Ones know if they felt dizzy or too tired to continue. When they had done this to her satisfaction she dismissed them, warning Covina she would see her again come morning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chinara stood leaning against a finely carved wooden cane, her eyes slowly adjusting to the dark. Around the hearth lay several young girls, most lying still in exhausted sleep. The one at Chinara’s feet however tossed and turned, her dreams obviously troubled. After watching her frantic movements for a time the old woman used her cane to poke at the girl until she abruptly sat upright, muscles tense and ready for combat.

Chinara chuckled, “The instincts of a Maiden will serve you well in your new life, Covina. It is time for your next lesson. Come with me.†Without waiting for a response the Wise One turned and left the roof of the Apprentices, the cane now tucked away within her woolen skirts.

The Hold was still tightly embraced in slumber but Covina noticed several sets of eyes marking their progress, Alisis’ among them. The others, sentries for the most part and weary gaishain roused from sleep to begin early morning chores, turned away. Chinara led Covina to a part of the Hold that inevitably inspired awe in anyone who was allowed to enter.

And only certain people were ~ among them the Wise Ones and the Clan Chief, the Leaders of each Society, the Roof Mistress and the senior gaishain of each roof. For the spring was a sacred place to the Aiel and the water it yielded more than a necessity. It was life itself.

Chinara nodded to the still alert Red Shields who surrounded the path to the spring and they parted respectfully before her. Closely guarded, the water sprang like magic from a rocky outcropping. Wood, rare in the Waste and nearly as dear as the water itself, had been used to construct a pavilion to protect the spring. Motioning to her charge the Wise One walked to the pavilion and sat, arranging her bony legs with care. Breathing deeply she nodded to Covina to do the same.

“Can you feel the difference in the air? The moisture of the spring hovers near and today’s lesson will be aided by it. Today I will teach you to control and manipulate the elements most dear to the Aiel. Water and Air. We must do this early, before the gaishain arrive to draw the daily allotments. Now, watch closely.†The nimbus of Power appeared around the graying head and Chinara slowly wove a thick strand of water letting it hover in the air between them. “Of all the elements Water is the most useful to us. With it we can nourish the body and soul. We use it in healing and in certain ceremonies only the Wise Ones know.†The flow dissipated and Chinara sighed, “It can be difficult to control for here in the Three Fold Land it is the least easily drawn from the world around you. But it is there, patience and strength, Covina. Do it now.â€

Though it took several attempts Covina finally managed to summon a weave, though not as large and vibrant as Chinara’s. The Wise One seemed pleased however. “Not many accomplish this the first day. Now make it stronger, bit by bit. Do not let your control slip. You must firmly grip each strand as you weave.†The shining element between them began to grow, larger and larger. Both women leaned forward unconsciously entranced. Suddenly the weave faltered, then faded a bit before regaining its brilliance a hundred fold. Covina gasped and the light around her winked out. A large dark spot appeared on the ground between the two women and the Apprentice stared at it in horror.

Wasting water was anathema to the Aiel and deeply shameful. As Covina’s face paled then darkened with disgrace Chinara leaned forward, laying a hand on her shoulder. “Watch.â€

Weaving slowly and carefully the Wise One gathered the Water from the ground until the sand was as dry as midday and then slowly picked the weave apart, letting the pieces float to nothingness. “This is no reason to waste water, you understand,†she warned Covina. “But do it again.†Eyes sparkling with humor Chinara let slip a rare smile, “But this time do it on purpose.â€

Later after she felt the Apprentice had practiced with Water enough she showed the Element Air once more and walked her through the same steps. Dawn was creeping over the horizon when she called a stop to their weaving. “You will wake yourself at the same hour tomorrow and we will meet here. Your control must be absolute.â€

OOC: Linking has the strange side effect of allowing the person in control to feel the emotions of the others So rp out several days practicing with Water and Air. I have no particular weaves for you yet - this phase is about control and strength. Water and Air are strongest in women but lets suppose the Aiel awe of water has skewed their view a bit. Water seems hard to summon in the arid waste. Any ideas for weaves may earn you extra points toward punishment or chore threads! But remember they should be necessary and quick, the WO don’t channel unless they have to.

Covina’s ran her hands through her short red hair, her hand always paused where the tail used to be. With a sigh she made her way to her next lesson. A night of tossing and turning with no sleep had left her mood sour.

When Cheena and Tietsi entered Covina sat a bit straighter, these girls had been apprentices for quite some time now. “This morning you will learn the importance of working together and how we are always stronger when surrounded by those whom we trust. This is so in everything. When gaishain grind the zemai they work together, alternating and sharing the task. When warriors dance with the enemy they depend on their brothers and sisters as if they were the same person. So too do Wise Ones depend and rely on one another.†She could not help but think about her spear sisters and all the times they had danced.

Her sleepless night seemed to drift away as the feeling of life flooded into her. “Now, can you feel the difference? I have reached for the Source through each of you, using your connection to it to strengthen my own. You can no longer weave without my permission. Our circle is controlled by me. Now I am going to pass control to Tietsi and she shall pass it to Covina and so on until I tell you to stop.â€

They were going to allow her control?! As the control was passed to her, she became aware if the women around her. Cheena had an upset stomach this morning and Tiesti had blisters on her hands. The awareness was unreal.

The hour of holding the power had left Covina feeling lightheaded, but not so much so that she needed to be let out of her chores. That night when the sun fell and the waste grew cold Covina feel asleep with out thoughts of the One Power.

~~~~ ~~~ ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Her dreams were haunted, and she tossed violently in her sleep. She felt something hit her hard in the leg and she sprang up her hands ready to battle. She rubbed the sleep from her eyes to see Chinara standing above her. Dressing quickly she followed the women out her tent.

Chinara led Covina to a part of the Hold that inevitably inspired awe in anyone who was allowed to enter. She could do nothing but stare in open mouthed wonder. As she arranged her skirts she had to fight to keep her hands from dipping into the flowing spring. “Can you feel the difference in the air? The moisture of the spring hovers near and today’s lesson will be aided by it. Today I will teach you to control and manipulate the elements most dear to the Aiel. Water and Air. We must do this early, before the gaishain arrive to draw the daily allotments. Now, watch closely.†The nimbus of Power appeared around the graying head and Chinara slowly wove a thick strand of water letting it hover in the air between them. “Of all the elements Water is the most useful to us. With it we can nourish the body and soul. We use it in healing and in certain ceremonies only the Wise Ones know.†The flow dissipated and Chinara sighed, “It can be difficult to control for here in the Three Fold Land it is the least easily drawn from the world around you. But it is there, patience and strength, Covina. Do it now.â€

She bit her lip as she concentrated hard on making the weave. Her first few attempts slipped away with out result, but what happened next caused Covina great shame. Her eyes were wide as the water made a dark brown spot before her. But without so much as a blink Chinara moved on, the dark brown spot faded and the ground dried as if the water had never been. Covina felt like clapping with delight. Until the sun started to rise of the crest she practiced her weaves of air and water.

OOC: I thought your post most excellent Crys - post more if you want for character development but thats totally up to you

Covina sat within the suffocating closeness of the sweat tent, her eyes focused on the glowing rocks piled haphazardly in the center of the room. Chinara sat opposite her, naked arms and legs even bonier than expected but still taut and muscular. Sweat covered both women but neither reached for the brass staeras to swipe the dirt and perspiration from their bodies. Seated near the entrance with several other Wise Ones Alisis could not see the nimbus of light surrounding both but she knew they were channeling. It was Covina weaving Fire into the rocks that heated them to white hot. Occasionally another Apprentice, Jindi, would lean forward and with a dipper would scatter the precious drops of water across their surface.

The Wise Ones sighed in contentment as steam filled the tent and their lungs. All but one.

Chinara leaned across the rocks, her creased face flushed with both heat and displeasure, and poked Covina in the shoulder, “Concentrate, girl. Your weaving is weak. Your control laughable. You are no longer a Maiden playing with spears.†The Wise Ones eyes widened, “This is Fire and with it you can kill, others or yourself.†Leaning back she waved a hand, “Again. Do not let the water cool the rocks this time, keep them as hot as you can.â€

Alisis saw several of the Wise Ones glance covertly at one another. Already the air within the sweat tent was nearly unbearable, even for an Aiel. With a nod she released several who hurriedly finished their cleansing and ducked out of the tent. Chinara sent Alisis a wry look that the Head Wise One returned. Standing Alisis laid a hand on Jindi’s blonde head and with another nod sent the Apprentice running. Taking the girl’s place Alisis focused on the rocks, now cool and gray.

Slowly she began to sense a change in them, the warming as Covina wove strands of Fire into their centers. Soon they glowed red once more and then white. Alisis reached for the dipper and steam filled the air but the rocks remained white hot. As they watched one cracked open to reveal its super heated core. Chinara nodded with approval.

“Well done. Release.†Chinara waited while the light around Covina winked out. The Apprentice sagged a bit, her face running with perspiration. “Now watch carefully, Apprentice.†Carefully and slowly Chinara wove strands of Earth. A moment later the cracked rock was whole once more with not even a seam to show where it had split open. Alisis gasped as Chinara reached and picked up the rock, the older Wise One shot her an amused look. Covina had seen the flows of Water she had woven to cool the stone, but Alisis could not. Passing the stone to Covina she waited as the Apprentice turned it over and over in her hand before returning it to the pile. “With Earth you can mend or rent. Open yourself once more, Apprentice. Break the rock and then repair it once more.â€

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A gaishain stepped quietly among the sleeping forms of the Apprentices bending to shake one or two gently and with a soft word wakening them more fully. Covina was the last she paused over laying a hand on the girls shoulder. Sleepy gray eyes blinked up at the white draped figure before clearing into a question.

“Chinara summons several Apprentices to the Roof of Healing.†Without another word the gaishain turned and vanished through the door into the cold night.

The Apprentices glanced apprehensively at one another. None had been allowed to help within the Roof of Healing though many had run errands to and from or fetched this herbal or that for the Wise Ones. Swiftly they found their clothing and helping one another as best they could, soon presented themselves at the Roof.

The Roof of Healing was an immense adobe building set into the far eastern rock face wall of the Hold, well away from the hustle and bustle of daily life. Unlike most Aiel homes it had many entrances, some with ramps leading into the dark interior and its only guards were the worried kin of those being treated within. Tonight several Maidens shuffled uncertainly before the main entrance, eyes downcast. Covina frowned at them as she passed and one flashed a subtle sign that raised the Apprentice’s eyebrows to her hairline. Her step quickened and she crowded the girls ahead of her who hesitated in the doorway.

Pushing past them she nearly ran into Alisis whose expression made Covina want to run back to her blankets. She glared at Covina for a moment clutching blood stained bandages, her green eyes snapping. “Your former Sisters have danced unwisely this night and have paid the price for such foolishness. Come.†Handing her bloody burden to a waiting gaishain she turned and led the group into the Roof proper.

Inside most of the expansive room was open but many woven screens were stacked at intervals, a few even open and shielding the sleeping form within, some turning restlessly at the quiet commotion nearby. Many Wise Ones were gathered around four Maidens laying on pallets. Their cadinsor’s were torn and bloody, their eyes a bit wild as they stared at the ceiling high above, jaws clenched in pain. Covina could see the nimbus of Saidar around two Wise Ones, Chinara and Jarila. Alisis led the Apprentices to a pallet nearby and motioned them to sit.

“You have been brought to observe and perhaps lend a bit of strength should it be needed. Watch in silence.â€

The Maiden nearest turned her blonde head away but the Apprentices could see clearly where her cadinsor had been cut away to reveal the belly wound. Spears sliced as well as stabbed and her innards were in shreds. Blood trickled from the corner of her mouth and Alisis knelt near her head and wiped it away. Soaking a cloth in water she wiped the woman’s face as Chinara crouched so close Covina feared the ancient Wise One might tumble onto the wounded woman. And then she too was crouched low with the other Apprentices watching in awe as Chinara wove Spirit with the tiniest amount of Fire and Water. Slowly the intestines of the Maiden seemed to expand a bit. The Maiden gasped and Alisis shifted to hold her shoulders tight murmuring assurances. Chinara muttered something as well that sounded more like a curse. Strands of Spirit so thin Covina could barely see them appeared and wove themselves into the Maiden’s organs. Rents dissolved into healthy pulsating tissue and the flow of blood lessened. By the time Chinara straightened away and turned to the next Maiden the wound still gaped but it was obvious the most harmful injuries had been healed. With brisk efficiency Alisis accepted a glistening silver needle from a gaishain and as calmly as if she were mending a cadinsor sewed the stomach of the Maiden closed.

The Apprentice next to Covina leaned close and whispered, “Why don’t they just mend her wound with the Power?â€

Before Covina could do more than shrug Surien, a Wise One with graying blonde hair flowing in waves past her shoulders whirled. “Silence!†she hissed and the Apprentices cringed. As directed they did not speak again as they watched both the Power and poultices, Spirit and Herbs were used to mend the broken arm of one Maiden and stop the profusely bleeding head wound of another. They hovered over the fourth Maiden for the longest - with both Wise Ones channeling. The muscles in the leg had been severed and a major artery as well. Though the woman was conscious her face showed none of the pain she must be feeling. The only expression she showed was when Jarila murmured softly to Chinara that they leg must be cut off, it was beyond repair. The Maiden paled considerably at that and turned beseeching eyes to the Wise One. With a grunt Chinara shook her head and laid a hand on the Maiden’s forehead. A moment later she slept, uncaring and unaware of what might lay ahead.

Hours later as the drained Apprentices stepped into the dazzling sun of mid afternoon they were a silent and sober group. Chinara had worked herself to exhaustion, at the last losing her hold on Saidar and she slept within the Roof of Healing near her last patient. Whose leg remained attached to her body. She might limp, Alisis had said, but with hard work it would be barely noticeable.

OOC: So rp practicing with Fire and Earth. At the end have Chinara reveal that these are the hardest for women to control, not Water as she led Covina to believe. Then you can rp the next day with the Apprentices coming to visit Chinara within the Roof of Healing (where she is no longer bed ridden but under the watchful eye of several Wise Ones - including Jarila) both of the channeling Wise One’s teach the girls to weave Spirit, the major component of healing. No specific weaves yet - just control.