DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who observed Nynaeve eavesdropping

spoke

After going through my umpteenth reread of the series, I have yet to figure out who observed Nynaeve eavesdrop. I am wondering if there is anything to suggest who it really was.

This is in LOC "questions and answers" chapter, where they are trying to figure out ways through wards unsuccessfully, and later Nyn. is interviewed by Delana and Jayna, she decides to walk through the ward and eavesdrop from within the ward.

It cannot be Tarna, Sheriam, nor Morvin, because those three voices are mentioned specifically.

the last sentence of the chapter reads "Neither saw the woman watching them from the second story window." (or something very close).

any ideas?

After going through my umpteenth reread of the series, I have yet to figure out who observed Nynaeve eavesdrop. I am wondering if there is anything to suggest who it really was.

This is in LOC "questions and answers" chapter, where they are trying to figure out ways through wards unsuccessfully, and later Nyn. is interviewed by Delana and Jayna, she decides to walk through the ward and eavesdrop from within the ward.

It cannot be Tarna, Sheriam, nor Morvin, because those three voices are mentioned specifically.

the last sentence of the chapter reads "Neither saw the woman watching them from the second story window." (or something very close).

any ideas?

Moghedien. IIRC its not long after that that they see her in T'A'R, and Birgitte gets expelled into the real world and Moghedien gets collared. Nynaeve figures out that shes in Salidar.

Actually, it probably was Tarna--Tarna left the room on the first level of the Little Tower some time before the watcher on the second level of the Little Tower is mentioned--which is where her rooms most likely were. A short time later Tarna shows up at Nynaeve's room stating that she knew she was in Salidar despite attempts to keep the information from her.

Moghedien. IIRC its not long after that that they see her in T'A'R, and Birgitte gets expelled into the real world and Moghedien gets collared. Nynaeve figures out that shes in Salidar.

You are arguing from the wrong book. This was well after Moghedien was collared.

I don't think we were ever meant to find out. The scene was used the exact same way as the one with Macura's message after the forkroot incident, when a second message went in a different direction. I took it to mean there are more currents at work than those the main characters know about. It might be thought provoking as to who it would be, but I would be surprised to learn we could find out from what's in the books.

As I said, Tarna seems very likely. She left the room, Nynaeve evesdrops on the Salidar Six for a full nother page and a half, and then the watcher is cited. Aside from which it is almost certain she would have been given a room at the Little Tower--it's stated directly that the Aes Sedai kept her penned up to keep her from learning too much, and the Little Tower was the most secure building, it's papers already a facade.

She left the room and the perfect amount of time for her to walk up stairs to her room. Then, in the very next chapter she turns up stating that she knew Nynaeve and Elayne were present in Salidar despite attempts to conceal the fact from her.

A watcher watching Nynaeve from a place Tarna was known to be--one who did not report Nynaeve evesdropping on sisters--followed directly by Tarna displaying knowledge of Nynaeve's presence in Salidar despite the fact that it was supposed to be a secret.

I don't think we were ever meant to find out. The scene was used the exact same way as the one with Macura's message after the forkroot incident, when a second message went in a different direction. I took it to mean there are more currents at work than those the main characters know about. It might be thought provoking as to who it would be, but I would be surprised to learn we could find out from what's in the books.

Macura was most probably recruited by Seanchan Seekers to serve as a Listener--the second message went west towards either Tarabon or Cantorin. Given its doubtful anyone in Tarabon would be interested the Seanchan seem likely, especially given the speed at which Macura was able to bring her forkroot to Seanchan attention. I doubt that she knew precisely who was buying the information however. Prior to Elaida's beating, I see it as doubtful she'd serve the Seanchan and the Tower knowingly.

The real mystery is where the third letter went.

Who maintained the ward? The three AS (Sheriam and co.) leave the room before the ward winks out.

Also to spy on Nynaeve, Tarna would've to put her head out of the window. How would Tarna even know to do that? I got the impression that the watcher was on the opposite side of the street. The sentence is not specific, but that's how I picture it.

Who maintained the ward? The three AS (Sheriam and co.) leave the room before the ward winks out.

Also to spy on Nynaeve, Tarna would've to put her head out of the window. How would Tarna even know to do that? I got the impression that the watcher was on the opposite side of the street. The sentence is not specific, but that's how I picture it.

Likely Sheriam and co. One does have to stay at the centre of the ward, and the ward encompassed the entire building.

As to why Tarna went to the window... frustration? To think? It's not an uncommon thing to do, to stare out a window whilst thinking, and Tarna does state in CoT that she was very disturb by what she found in Salidar.

I'm going to say it was moridin. There's ample evidence for it to be him.

There is plenty of evidence that it wasn't Moridin. It states very clearly that it was a WOMAN. Moridin is not a woman.

Are you mb in disguise? :lol: :lol:

On topic.

Im going with Tarna aswell. OThers have explained it better than I could.

Archived