DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Mistborn: The Well of Ascension

-ZanMgt- OneNight

Here are the first two chapters of Mistborn: The Well of Ascension. I hope you enjoy reading my first read through.

Chapter 1

• Yay! I get new blurbs about, what I hope to be, someone perspective other then... whatshisname, the last Hero of Ages... I like these.

• Interesting that Elend was able to get into power. Maybe the Kelsier crew realized they needed nobles to actually maintain a government.
    Perhaps they kept the Obligators too? That would be cool. But they most likely did not.

• So they haven't found the Atium yet? That either means it is hidden within Kredik Shaw or the Lord Ruler was burning a lot of it to do...
    something... maybe prevent the worlds end?

• And now I learned that they are under siege against a superior enemy and Elend's father no less. And I am only one and a half pages in.
    Sanderson really wanted to start this book off quick didn't he? In any case this book is already looking good.

• I pray that the Watcher is not Kelsier revived. That would completely ruin the story.

Chapter 2

•  
  • Vin is very lucky to have happened to run into those assassins.

• By the end of the book I believe that either OreSeur will betray Vin or OreSeur will save her.

• By the way she keeps thinking that if she had no Atium and fought against a Mistborn with Atium that she would die, I believe she will find
    a weakness to Atium somewhere in the book.

• You know... Speaking of OreSeur and Atium. Kelsier said in The Final Empire that he used his last Atium in the OreSeur contract. Does that
    mean that kandra only accept Atium as payment and require Atium for something? I hope I learn the answers to these questions in this book.

I will post more chapters tomorrow. Until then.

--- End of Line ---

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 3

• Wow, Elend did the worst thing you could do in his position in that time and place... When you destroy an empire you do not
    set up a new government that has any control over you. Or at least not until you secure your kingdom or country, otherwise you
    will always pay for it in the end. I don't think that is what is going to happen but it still is a retarded thing to do.

• I think that weird Mist thing Vin saw is that same Mist that tried to prevent Alendi from giving the power away.

• Interesting, so if Cett is trying to kill Elend that means that he will siege the city. But with an army already there that
    prevents either actually attacking. For if one was to attack the other would come up behind them and annihilate the last of the
    city defenses and the first attackers army.

Only one today... I have been busy doing a lot of work, and now it is off to bed with me.

--- End of Line ---

Sorry I didn't post yesterday, and sorry I am posting so late tonight. Watching AGT, I really think Fighting Gravity should have won by the way <_< .

Chapter 4

• Haven't learned anything new from the blurb besides it is about this Kwaan guy.

• Heh, wonderful. Now the Mist is killing people. Always a delightful thought that mist can kill. And in the day time no less.

• I hope Sazed leaves the Village soon.

Chapter 5

• The blurb suggest that releasing the Well is a bad thing. I really think Vin, when she gets to the Well, will make a HUGE mistake in releasing it.

• Vin is going to have to change her mind with the fact that many Skaa believe that she is a religious icon. Right now the Skaa need one, they have
    had the Lord Ruler for all of their lives and then they got Kelsier who is now dead. Who else should they look towards but Vin?

• A dog really does not fit Vin, what would she do with it?

• Wow, that is actually pretty smart of Vin, although I obviously see the real reason she did it. This will work well later on though.

• This duralumin looks perfectly worthless, meaning that it will give her a very great and powerful advantage over other Allomancers if I am any
    judge of horseflesh. ;)

That is it for today.

p.s. I am absolutely no good with horseflesh. I only know enough to make sure it is not dead. :rolleyes:

--- End of Line ---

Chapter 6

• Elend's reasoning is illogical. If there was ever an assassin that was not an Allomancer, but a just a plain old knife wielding Human
    then he might be able to protect himself. He is proving himself more a fool with each chapter <_< .

• Someone is spreading rumors about there being Atium in Luthadel after they stamped down those rumors. And with those rumors another army
    should be arriving soon. Which will create a stalemate for a while and by then Elend should be able to do something to defeat both armies.
    If I was Elend I would give that certain someone just about whatever he wanted for indirectly holding off an attack from his father.

• :huh: OreSeur is acting wrong. And after he says something off, the passage reads,
    "No, Mistress," OreSeur said. "The hair. I'm sorry I didn't warn you--placing
    fur like this takes a great deal of precision and effort."
    "Actually, you did mention it," Vin said, waving her hand.
    He wouldn't forget something like that that quickly. Something is up...

Chapter 7

• Oy, another Sazed chapter. I don't know why but I just don't care about his character very much.

• NOOOOOO!! Marsh has turned evil. He called the rest of the Steel Inquisitors, "brothers".

• I hope Marsh does not try and kill Sazed while in this whatchamacallit.

Marsh referring to the other Inquisitors as his "brothers" doesn't necessarily mean he's turned evil :P

Chapter 8

• Nothing new from the blurb.

• Wow, duralumin is very powerful if used carefully. This should give her the advantage need to defeat a Atium using Mistborn.

• Another clue that OreSeur is different. The scene plays out as follows.
    "What? No, no assistance." Vin shook her head, clearing her mind. "I guess
    that's one thing I didn't think of by making you a dog. You can't carry metals for
    me now."
    The kandra cocked his head, then padded over into an alleyway. He returned a
    moment later with something in his mouth. Her Belt.
    He dropped it by her feet, then returned to his waiting position. Vin picked up
    the belt, pulling off one of her extra vials. "Thank you," she said slowly.
    "That is very... thoughtful of you."
    "I fulfill my Contract, Mistress," the kandra said. "Nothing more."
    Well, this is more than you've ever done before, she thought,---

That last line proves to me that OreSeur changed. Maybe the rest of the kandras
    caught wind of him bordering on the edge of disobeying the Contract and he must
    shape up.

--- End of Line ---

Chapter 9

• Got nothing from the blurbs.

• I really like Marsh's attitude. Especially the whole "You will return to Luthadel once we are finished here"
    bit. Really makes him feel powerful and in charge. Very rarely is that seen in a good guy.

Chapter 10

• I feel like there is a clue in this blurb. Something about the height...

• What Vin comments on is true, Elend acts too much like a normal noble. He needs to stop that and behave like a King.

• And there is the second army they needed to keep Venture off their backs arriving just in the nick of time.

--- End of Line ---

Chapter 11

• Good job Breeze! Extra points for doing a very logical and rational move without being blinded by
    the little fact that the other army happens to be and enemy. (Not being sarcastic.)

• That would be freaky to jump like that. Not something I would ever do... Maybe...

• Ha! Wouldn't that be nice? To have someone you know replaced by another being without you having
    the slightest clue as to who it was? Especially in Elend's and Vin's position.

p.s. 100 points to whoever can guess what I mean by this; :gholam::flamingsword::elayne:

--- End of Line ---

Chapter 12

• Heh, very good use for the Iron metalmind. Instead of climbing ropes just reduce your weight and float down.

• Kwaan, I think, is suggesting that the prophecies are changing. That "anything not set in metal cannot be trusted"
    and that records change. Although... Terrisman would be able to have the prophecies in their copperminds right? So
    unless the changes effect the copperminds then Kwaan is wrond. Or rather my theory of what he is suggesting.

• Sazed needs to give up on the whole, "I must be a Keeper and not meddle in the affairs of any power". He knows
    that the other powers are corrupt and that should be all there is to it.

--- End of Line ---

Chapter 13

• OreSeur is going to go against the contract in this book.

• Those mist Ghosts I think are actually good ghosts.

• Elend lost control of the meeting as soon as bumped that stack of books making them collapse.
    He is not enforcing his position enough. He needs the rest of the crew to realize that he is in charge there.

• Hmm, I wonder if this Terriswoman will help Elend with his leadership problems. She has the attitude down pat.
    I hope thats what shes there for anyway. Otherwise I think she is just another problem or enemy.

--- End of Line ---

Chapter 14

• This chapter has started out nice. I strangely really enjoyed the first few paragraphs.

• Hey Tindwyl is giving him advice! Luthadel is not ruined!

• I really like Tindwyl's character. Her character is forceful but only so much and also helpful. Overall I look forward
    to seeing more of her character throughout this book and the next.

• Again Elend brings up Kelsier. He really does need to let go. Accept that no one other than he can save Luthadel.

• I agree with Elend. I do not think the impostor is among the crew. Perhaps someone I continue to read about or
    maybe someone new? Oh no... could it be? I hope not. I really hope it is not Tindwyl. That would just suck!

Hehe, good read. Love seeing your predictions. Hope you burn though the rest quickly (to provide me more entertainment).

Aww, sorry Silver. I had to return the book back to the library! Ran out of renewals. So for a little while I will not have the book.

However I will try to get it again and start posting as soon as possible. I really am enjoying the series so far. The writing is very good.

Chapter 15

• Wow, I do really do not like the way this part reads. It is written as,
    "Marsh knew the way. He would catch up."
    That combined with Marsh calling the other inquisitors 'brothers' I now fear that Marsh has become evil.

• Haha, that crazy ol'Mist. Randomly killing people and forcing other into cannibalism. So cute.

Chapter 16

• It is strange that most of the prophesies regarding the Hero of Ages seemed to have changed to match Alendi. Perhaps someone changed the prophesies?

• !! OreSeur is the impostor! It's actually brilliant when you think about it. Why would they suspect their kandra is the impostor? I came to this conclusion when I read,
    "No," Vin said. "I mean he should have been the one who took the power at the
    well of ascension. This man, the man who wrote this book-we don't actually
    know his name- was some kind of prophesied hero. Or... everyone thought he
    was. Anyway, the man who became the Lord Ruler-Rashek-was this hero's
    packman. Don't you remember us talking about this, back when you were imitat-
    ing Renoux?"
    That coupled with my previous observations pretty much confirms that he is no longer OreSeur. Now I just wonder if he will be a Good Guy at the end, or a Bad Guy.

• I find it funny how the characters, namely Vin, is fretting over what the Deepness was when to me it is pretty obvious. The Mist. If it is out 24/7 it could destroy everything.

• That is very odd, both Alendi and Vin mention their "overworked mind" and so they dismiss the Phantom creature from the Mists. The very same one that tried to stop Alendi and Rashek from getting to the Well of Ascension, which we all know led to disaster. Could something be overworking both of the "Hero of Ages" minds and making them believe that the Phantom is evil, or just non-existent?

• How could Vin possibly miss something like that? She just found a nice long decent passage about the Phantom, which of course says that it is evil. Of which she does not remember seeing before. I now understand the statement at the start,
    I write these words in steel, for anything not set in metal cannot be trusted.
    Something is changing paper. And perhaps memory? And if it could a affect memory why could it not also affect copperminds? If my theory is true that answers a lot. And means that the characters are in for a rough time, if do not know they cannot trust paper or copperminds, than they be screwed.

• I am really liking the changes in Elend so far, keep it up Tindwyl!

Over all a pretty nice chapter. There is a chance that I might not be posting for the next few days. It is highly unlikely but I just thought I should inform you all just the same.

Chapter 17.

• I think this Zane guy is going to convince Vin to do something that she knows she shouldn't do. Like finding another allomantic metal and giving it to him.

• The fights really are very interesting in Mistborn. Very descriptive.

• I thought so, I was thinking that Zane was hiding some metal on him. Smart idea to put the coin in his mouth.

• You know, as cool as fight scenes are. I do wish that people would not make entire chapters composed of them.

Chapter 18.

• I highly doubt that God is actually talking to him, he is probably insane.

• Wow, I was not expecting that. Elend apparently has a brother. Zane... That will create complications...

• When did "OreSeur" have a chance to leave that message for Zane? :huh: Vin keeps him around all the time now.

• I reverse my previous statement about doubting that God was talking to Zane... for the most part... I now believe that a powerful being is talking to him, but not God. Zane is just acting far to rational for him to be insane. I wonder though, will this voice help the Good Guys? Or hurt them? I am thinking a mixture of both.

• The thought that Zane has, "Perhaps she could save me." has me wondering if Zane might turn good. That would be interesting. Doubtful though.

• ! Zane tried to poison Straff? And then Straff just accepts it... I have come to the conclusion that Zane is sane and Straff is insane.

• Straff drinking the poisoned tea just supports my theory of his insanity.

Chapter 19.

• Who could possibly control a Koloss army? The only person I can think of that would be crazy enough is Straff, and even he is smarter than that.

• Sazed believes that the skin of a Koloss is like a mask, but who is it that provides the skin? Is this explained in this book? Or the next?

• That would be cool. If Lekel, a friend of Elend, would join him. I can see a pretty interesting end battle with Koloss helping out Elend.

• Man I was way off in my last prediction. From what I just read there is no way Lekel would join Elend. It is strange how Lekel is different now. I wonder what happened to him after the Lord Rulers death to make him the way he is now.

Chapter 20.

• This should be interesting. "OreSeur" is in the room as they discuss their plan with how to deal with Straff. Meaning that Straff knows their plan so he may now counter their plan with his own. I foresee disaster soon.

• I really like this new Elend. He is turning into a great character.

• LOL! That was a great end to that chapter! Ham wasn't that far off after all.

Chapter 21.

• Hmm the blurb is an interesting twist of current events. It reads,
    "He was born of a humble family, yet married the daughter of a King."
    Replace that with "She was born of a humble family, yet married the son of the highest of Nobleman." and went maybe eight months in the future and this will fit Vin perfectly.

• I do not think Allrianne is at all what she seems. I think she is in there to do some spy work, or at least something along those lines.

• I am seeing some problems between Vin and Allrianne. Most likely ending with Vin finding out that Allrianne is acting as a spy.

Archived