DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Hello, everyone

Ikkarus

Well, what to say ? I am a returning member; I have been away since last year around this time. This is an entirely new profile, however. It is nice to be back; the people on this site are mostly friendly, in my experience here. But that is the ambiance created amongst any group that hold interests in common.

I am not too much of a talker, but I think when I want to say something, it must be meaningful. English is my second language, but I have been speaking and writing it for some ten years now, so I think I have a very good hold of the language. I of course love The Wheel of Time series - I do not think I would be here if I did not - but I would say I love anything that can carry a story or vivid emotion across all mediums of art.

Anyways, I am nineteen years old, on my second year of college, so I may not be on too often; I do not usually need to study, but the professors like to make up for that by piling work on you that you wish you did not have to do. Lol, I am sure everyone who is in or has been to college knows about that. And besides that, I am working on my own story, which I usually feel I must write when I am not occupied by something else, but I will try to have access at least once a day.

That is a fair introduction. I can get to the more interesting bits about myself in the threads. A pleasure to be a part of the community.

Hi Ikkarus, nice to see you come back to join us! I'm also a college student so I know how the limited time on here goes, but nevertheless I do what I can as second in command of the Band of the Red Hand Org.

Anyways, I'm curious since you said English is your second language...what is your first language? Have you studied any other languages besides English? I'm studying to be a Teacher of English to Students of Other Languages so...my curiosity has gotten the better of me right now :)

My first language is Deutsch. "Southern" Deutsch, lol - not a real language, just a dialect. Most people who do not speak the language cannot really tell the difference between accents from different regions, but they are there. I took Latin back in school also, which I had to drop later because of a schedule interference, but I really liked it, so I went on to study more by myself. I cannot speak Latin, because we did not learn it that way, but I can write it pretty well; once you know the basics and a bit more of a language, learning some more complex aspects, it is not so difficult. My father, who is Finnish, has recently tried to teach me Finnish, but it has not really ingrained in me yet because my father is not a good teacher; what he cannot explain, I have to look for on my own and connect it. I have always wanted to learn Japanese, too, but I think I would need to get an actual class for it because learning an oriental language on my own would be very hard. There is absolutely no room on my schedule right now for a language, though, so nothing to do about it.

Welcome to the Mount!

I myself am a College Student, (Or will be soon, I start the 20th on m first year of college). It is good to see another member return to these forums, it always warms my heart to know that people like to wander back and re-join us :)

Anyway, we are in a new place, as you can see, and alot of bugs are being worked out. If you have any questions feel free to PM me, or ask them here, and I shall respond asap to them!

Until then, have fun Storming the Mount!

Thanks, Winterwinds. And good luck with college. Depending on what you chose as your major and if you have actually been so interested in it before, your actual lessons may be easy to pick up; it is the work that the professors give you that causes most of the stress, at least for me. Big universities are not too bad - the professors do not want to grade assignments from a thousand different students - but if you are going to a smaller school, either private or public, the professors make sure to give you something do for every week...and, needless to say, I have never liked working hard on things I am only half-enthused about.

You should do fine, though; if it is a small college, make sure to just do the work, and if it is a big college, make sure the few assignments you get are done very well.

Ah Deutsch! I am taking German 2 right now. I have no talent for languages at all so its been trouble, but I'm determined to see it through until I am at least passably conversational. By southern German do you mean Austrian? Thats the only dialect we've really talked about.

No, no, lol. I do not think it official; it is more the particular way people from my part of Deutschland talk, which is in and around Rheinland-Pfalz, southwest. Like, how in America, you get how people in the South talk different from people from the North, and there is a different way for people in California, and on and on. If you want to learn Deutsch really well, as in speaking it, I would try to live in the country for a little bit, as an exchange student. Being surrounded by the language, having to really learn it to communicate, I think, really helps the verbal language; I did not really start to speak English well until I began exchanging in the U.S. when I was young.

Nice. I do not know what sort of work load you shall have, because I am not a writing major, but if it is a small college, that is very ideal, in my own opinon (other than the work they might give you). The professors actually acknowledge you exist, unlike huge universities, and you can actually get a hold of them; I have an older brother who goes to a massive university, and he is always so frustrated because he can never get a hold of the professors. Not in their office, not in the email, not on their phone - as if the professors know they will be swamped by questions if they do not hide. That prompted me for a smaller place.

Archived