DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Where in the world is Padan Fain?

FainsLeftFoot

I have been trying to re-read the chapters to find out where good ol Fain is located right now. The last location I could figure out is some sort of Inn in Ceamlyn.

This got me thinking, is it possible there are hints to what HE has been up to?

1) Amys speaks of a evil in Tanchcio, could that be a little bit of Fains work?

2) There was mention by Elaida of the wards failing in Tar Valon, do the wards protect against his kind of evil?

Maybe this all has been discussed before but I thought it might be fun to figure out where he is, or where he has been during the Randlanders adventures.

Foot.

The wards everywhere are failing. I don't think we've seen what he was doing in Caemlyn yet, but he's been thinking of it for quite some time so he's probably still there. In the scene at the end of The Shadow Rising when he's watching Perrin meet with the Children of the Light he thinks to himself that he has to go to Tar Valon to reclaim what's his and then he's going to Caemlyn.

I don't think it's Elayne he's after, since he knew she wasn't there at the time he first thought of it.

Wasn't Fain able to sense rand? if that is true could he then not be able to sense his children too? assumeing that is if he can even sense rand, maybe he has to be in somewhat close proximity to him.

but I bet we will see a Elayne Fain showdown, I think that would be cool.

Foot.

The wards everywhere are failing. I don't think we've seen what he was doing in Caemlyn yet, but he's been thinking of it for quite some time so he's probably still there. In the scene at the end of The Shadow Rising when he's watching Perrin meet with the Children of the Light he thinks to himself that he has to go to Tar Valon to reclaim what's his and then he's going to Caemlyn.

I don't think it's Elayne he's after, since he knew she wasn't there at the time he first thought of it.

If you re-read the passage, you'll see that it's clear he went to Caemlyn to spread rumors of the 'rebellion' in the Two Rivers, thinking to bring the wrath of Morgase down on them, since things didn't work out with his Whitecloaks and Shadowspawn-thievery.  Also, he went to Caemlyn first, then Tar Valon, and the timeline makes it clear he used the Ways for at least part of the journey.

There are a couple of hints that Fain was in Altara before he went to Far Madding:

1.  Slayer's Darkhounds appear to have been on his scent in northern Altara.

2.  Rand was there around that time waging his campaign against the Seanchan, so he had motive to be there aside from his tendency to try to influence the most powerful people around.  We know from book 2 that he wants the Empress like no other, and we know from RJ that the Seanchan appeal to him because they collar channelers.

3.  There is a Waygate at Londaren Cor, not far from where the Darkhounds searched Perrin's camp.  Londaren Cor has been emphasized a few times in the series, as if RJ wants us to be aware of it for some reason.  Haman emphasized it when he listed the Waygates, and Mat also went there, chasing after Tuon...and he had two separate memories of the place, once when it was Londaren Cor, and once when it was in Shiota.

Archived