DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Egwene

saxedspc

I really used to dislike her character, but I just got done with (rereading) tGS To be Forged Again and I find myself re-examing her.  She has really taken on the Amyrlin Seat and the Stole.

Wow!  Never thought I would like her, but I find myself (grudgingly) feeling props for her.

But I still will never like Elayne.

I've never had a real disliking for Egwene. I was just annoyed when she was being all 'mightier than thou' to Nynaeve, especially because of the sheer hypocrisy of her actions.

In TGS, while I found that things seemed to fall into place too easily for her (that it was too convenient), I liked her character very much. Now, if only her opinion about the Oath Rod can be rectified. She had the right idea before, a change of heart for the worse imo.

Seriously Egwenes allright, i really think a lot of people just hate some of the female characters just because they are female.

I for one don't hate any of the other female characters, just Egwene (And I don"t HATE her, just dislike).  I for one am extremely happy to see strong women in these books.  It's about time fantasy caught up to reality.

I don't despise the other female characters, just her.  But Faile does need to be thrashed for tricking Loial but I really only hate Egwene.  I used to dislike Nyneave but I don't anymore.  I think some of her flaws came from being young for her role as wisdom and maybe being an only child.

P.S.  Okay I despise some of the seafolk.

The biggest problem with her above the usual AS who live their entire lives in one spot and shipped to the tower between 12-18 and are clostered there for who knows how long.  She above all those women should know better, she saw something of the world before she went to the tower, she was in company with Moiraine, an AS who has an open mind, and she was taught by wise ones.  Yet she swallowed AS habits whole and seems to have disgorged everything else.

If her "trial by fire", that has made her mature so much in her dealings with Aes Sedai, means that she now works with Rand in a cogent and cohesive manner, recognizing him as the one who needs to save the entire world by battling the Dark One and thus deserving some freaking respect and information sharing....

Then yes, I will continue to like where she has come from since a few books back.

If she continues to treat Rand like someone who can't be trusted to take the garbage out, then she will continue to annoy me.

I love Egwene, she is the one that I think has learned the most and TRIED to do the right thing. I know she has made stupid mistakes and there has been times she needed a slap but I am proud of how far Egwene has come since EOTW.

Also, I think she has gotten enough slaps now to make up for whatever people might hate her for.

Anyways, Egwene is awesome. I always loved Egwene. I agree with the poster some posts above; if I was to get with someone from the series, it would have to be Egwene.

(except Nynaeve, Lanfear and Berelain :P(this was supposed to be small, but I couldn't figure out how to do that. (if anyone knows how, please tell me, I'm sad)))

I've never understood the dislike for Egwene.  I don't remember her being mean to Nyn except from Nyn's POV and only when she was being (as usual) obstinate and bull-headed.  She seems to have the most level head of all the AS, and she has a good idea of what they need to do to make it through.  She may not treat Rand as well as she could...but then again, who has other than Min?

She doesn't appear to me as overly arrogant.  As a manager of people, I understand what it takes to lead people, and she has accepted her role as a leader.  As such, she has to believe she's doing the right thing else everyone will second-guess her.  Overall, she's one of the most robust and real female characters.

• 3 weeks later...

The biggest problem with her above the usual AS who live their entire lives in one spot and shipped to the tower between 12-18 and are clostered there for who knows how long. She above all those women should know better, she saw something of the world before she went to the tower, she was in company with Moiraine, an AS who has an open mind, and she was taught by wise ones. Yet she swallowed AS habits whole and seems to have disgorged everything else.

Not quite true. She is bringing about some drastic changes, that will have a huge impact on the White Tower.

Her plan to tie the Wise Ones, the Kin and the Windfinders to the WT. Considering the typical Aes Sedai attitude towards Wilders, this is (potentially) a very big thing.

Her opening of the Novice book to all women, regardless of age. Before, they only accepted children as Novices, children who are easily molded into classic Aes Sedai. But now they are getting Novices who have spent decades living normal lives.

These two changes combined should push the WT towards taking a good look at their role in the world.

Not quite true. She is bringing about some drastic changes, that will have a huge impact on the White Tower.

Her plan to tie the Wise Ones, the Kin and the Windfinders to the WT. Considering the typical Aes Sedai attitude towards Wilders, this is (potentially) a very big thing.

Her opening of the Novice book to all women, regardless of age. Before, they only accepted children as Novices, children who are easily molded into classic Aes Sedai. But now they are getting Novices who have spent decades living normal lives.

These two changes combined should push the WT towards taking a good look at their role in the world.

You realise the boards are not active yet? They can't argue back. ::)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new here. but, to the point:

Egwene's character now is fine with me since i figure when she shows Rand her wrath she is going to get knocked down a few notches. (I'm of the mind that rand post VoG will be completely unperturbed by her "wrath"). And perhaps, as much as many of us hate to even think of it, Elayne may be able to do something useful and get Egwene to remember why the oath rod is a bad thing. (you cannot survive being above the people forever, if anyone knows this is would be Elayne, you must make them understand that you are like them).

Don't get me started on how men and women are written in this series. It's the only bad thing about the run of books. Apart from that they're a thoroughly good read.

I've never been an Egwene fan. She's become a total Aes Sedai. Just because you become a leader doesn't mean you lose all common sense. Put it this way, while Elaida was a nutter, I see Egwene as equally fanatic in her own way. I think until the stupid White Tower stop thinking they're above everyone else and have the right to control any woman (and man!) with the wisp of an ability to channel, they are going to fall, and hard.

Currently Taim seems to be at the head of the downfall and Rand doesn't even acknowledge Aes Sedai, so yes, very important they are...

Their biggest problem of course is that they think if they demand something they'll get it. They need to learn humility. You would have thought that Egwene of all people would have some of that, but it seems that there's no chance of that.

Nynaeve is the most promising at the moment. She seems like she's still the Wisdom for the Twin Rivers and still behaves that way, luckily for Rand, not so lucky for Lan...

If her "trial by fire", that has made her mature so much in her dealings with Aes Sedai, means that she now works with Rand in a cogent and cohesive manner, recognizing him as the one who needs to save the entire world by battling the Dark One and thus deserving some freaking respect and information sharing....

Then yes, I will continue to like where she has come from since a few books back.

If she continues to treat Rand like someone who can't be trusted to take the garbage out, then she will continue to annoy me.

I'm gonna LOL when she next meets Rand and finds him an entirely different person.

Veins of Gold was Rand successfully integrating LTT into himself. That would give him about 500+ years of life experience?

Yeah, their meeting is going to go really smoothly. [/sarcasm]

In all honesty though, I don't think Egwene will be allowed to meet with Rand. Remember that the Salidar Hall already made it clear that the Amyrlin is not allowed near potential threats, and there is no way Rand will consent to being shielded in order to be in her presence. So either Egwene will have to slip out of the Tower to visit Rand, or another Aes Sedai will try to handle Rand.

However, I think Rand Lews Therin Telamon al'Thor (such a bad*** he has five names) won't react with outrage as he used to, I think he'll just ignore any Aes Sedai that doesn't present a clear danger. And what is more entertaining? (1) Rand severing/killing Aes Sedai or (2) Rand ignoring them like bitemes?

I'm gonna LOL when she next meets Rand and finds him an entirely different person.

Veins of Gold was Rand successfully integrating LTT into himself. That would give him about 500+ years of life experience?

Yeah, their meeting is going to go really smoothly. [/sarcasm]

If I remember correctly, he remembered all of his past lives at that point, basically giving him millenia of experience. But then again people with hundreds of years of experience seem to turn into babbling children around Egwene so she'll probably just walk roughshod all over him...

If I remember correctly, he remembered all of his past lives at that point, basically giving him millenia of experience. But then again people with hundreds of years of experience seem to turn into babbling children around Egwene so she'll probably just walk roughshod all over him...

Egwene has only walked right over people that have no experience improvising. Most Aes Sedai seem to be either lacking will or only have cards up their sleeves.

The problem with relying on schemes and bullying is that when someone comes along and decides to bring the game above board and into the open.

While Rand does scheme and bully. He doesn't seem to go much for the long term schemes, and he can back up his threats. Egwene can't just go, "Hey! You've been causing chaos in the world!" and expect Rand to just be shamed or embarrassed into submission.

The only thing Egwene could throw in Rand's face is the bonded Aes Sedai and his failed negotiation with the Seanchan. And it isn't like Rand didn't hit all the points Egwene would've wanted (except freeing all existing damane). And Rand had no part of the initial bonding of sisters, in fact, he already tried to make up for it by offering up Soldiers/Dedicated.

The only leverage Egwene has in negotiating with Rand is access to the Aes Sedai as a resource (and maybe in convincing the Borderland rulers to stop trying to play him be hiding in Far Madding). Rand is already of the belief that "general population" Aes Sedai (those with zero experience with male channelers beyond catching and gentling) are fairly useless next to his Asha'man (and their bonded Aes Sedai) and the Aes Sedai that have bonded male channelers.

Hell, Rand might be better off if the White Tower just sits and spins it wheels in Tar Valon. Sure they won't be helping then, but they also won't be trying to preempt control of useful endeavors.

But then several prophecies would not come true. Ewgene HAS to show Rand her wrath, and Rand needs the Aes Sedai to serve him or the last battle is lost. As for the pratical reasons why, well perhaps the white tower has a hold of some ter'angreal or other that they don't know of, or perhaps its the "all the light of the world" moment, were either all the good stands together, no matter how weak, or falls.

I must be blanking right now. Is there a specific prophecy that says the Aes Sedai must serve Rand? I thought the bit about Aes Sedai bowing before the forgotten symbol already happened at the end of The Lord of Chaos.

But I am not saying Egwene can't vent on Rand, but I just don't think she has anything to bargain with.

Is she going to tell him she won't fight during the Last Battle just to spite him? No. So she can't threaten to withhold channelers.

Is she going to try to wipe out the Black Tower? No, she knows she wouldn't win. And retaliation is impossible to prevent (so Tar Valon would burn). So she can't threaten war.

While I am sure she will find a way to blame Rand for Aes Sedai being bonded by Asha'man (even though they came to the Black Tower to execute all male channelers found therein) and the Seanchan attack on the White Tower (even though they were already planning the attack before Rand's failed negotiations). It makes no difference.

To put it another way. Egwene has something Rand wants, but she has already stated her intention to provide it. She no longer has anything to offer Rand, so she can't make demands on him.

Archived