DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Basic Training - Stand ready (Attn Katandra)

Nynaeve

IC:

Evelyn sat on the ground in the training yard, meditating. She needed the tranquility. It was becoming more and more of a habit for her to have private sessions with one recruit at a time, instead of a group, because recruits seemed to trickle in, rather than arrive in chunks. She had to comply, of course. There was no other way. But that didn't mean it didn't irritate her. She was less than thrilled, that was for sure.

So she waited until the set time she was told to be there. She eyed passerbyes, wondering when her recruit will finally arrive. As if summoned by her thoughts, a young woman approached her. Evelyn stood up and dusted her pants."Morning, Katandra. Thank you for taking the time to join me today." The sarcasm in her tone was quite obvious. "Lovely morning, is it not? Celebrate it with a run. Yes, you heard me right. Start running in circles around me. Wide circles. I do, after all, enjoy my personal space." Evelyn spoke loudly as Katandra began running. "I will be your instructor today. My name is Evelyn, but I go by other names as well. I'm sure you'll soon learn them from your peers." Evelyn smiled to herself.

"Today you will learn about the concept of SCRAB. Stamina. Courage. Resistance. Agility. Balance. Traits you are expected to either possess or attain. You enlisted to the Children of the Light, but that was just the first infant step. Now you have to prove whether you deserve to be here or you're better off running back behind your mommy's skirts. I will be the judge of that. So, what I want to see is determination. Drive. I want it to be abundantly clear that you WANT to be here!. If you have any complaints, worries or concerns... I don't want to hear about them. I'm not your mother, your father, you sister or your lover. I'm not here to cuddle you and tell you it's going to get better. If it's up to me, it won't. I'm here either to break you or make you stronger. It is your choice which of the two it'll be."

Evelyn seated herself on the ground. "Your stamina is put to the test. You run until I say otherwise. If you falter, that buys you an extra hour of running. So just a fraction of a second before you decide you cannot continue and you're about to fall on your face... do yourself a favor and... and refrain from doing so."

OOC: Two things. First, as of today, all RPs posted until we move to the new DM will NOT be transferred to the new site. This means that at a later date we'll have to copy and paste this RP into the new site :)  Just a heads up.

Secondly...It's a hot day, which makes this task harder. RP your character's emotions and thoughts. You can have her speak to Evelyn through it if you like. Whatever you feel like! :)

Evelyn

Cranky head

Katandra woke at the usual early morning time. She used to love starting her days lounging in bed and would often spend the first hour of her day snuggled up in her blankets still laying as if she were asleep. That was not the case this morning. Of course part of her wanted to wrap the blanket back up over her ears but she wasn't in her mothers house. Today was her first day of training and Katandra knew it would tough, but she knew she was strong willed. Anything they could throw at her here would only help her if she were ever out facing darkfriends and got in trouble. This was the time to push herself and to learn. This was the only chance to prepare her body and mind for the trials that would come while she was out protecting the world. She began to get her mind ready for what she was sure was going to be overwhelming techniques as she folded the blankets perfectly into a beautifully made bed and got into her uniform.

She wasn't sure how much they would throw at her the first day of training. Maybe it would just be a little talk to get to know her, or maybe it would be a test to see how well in shape she was to start with, or maybe they would just drop her into technique training, or maybe it would be all three. She was trying to think of the all the possibilities as she ate her breakfast and made her way to the training yard. As she was walking through the yard making her way over to the trainer she couldn't help but notice the lack of a breeze in the air today. Normally she wouldn't mind that but the sun felt really strong today. She noticed there was no course set up and thought at least if there was a test it didn't look like it would be too challenging.

As she approached the trainer and stood in her usual straight posture she couldn't help but pick up on the noticeably unhidden sarcasm in her voice as she was greeted. "Good morning, thank you for having me," Katandra replied trying to make sure that it didn't sound like a smart remark. She was a little surprised when the trainer told her to run in circles while they spoke. She had prepared herself for talking first, then starting the training, but she knew there was nothing to do but get running. She wasn't sure how far of a circle to make or how fast to go. She didn't want to go to slow and be thought lazy, but she didn't want to go too fast and tire out early. She went fairly wide, but stayed close enough so that she could still hear every word the woman said to her while speaking in the same tone.

Even though Katandra ran at a comfortable place her lungs soon began to burn and she realized she hadn't been breathing. She had been listening and trying to keep her pace and distance and had not been breathing at an even pace. She wanted to cough but she didn't want to seem weak from such a short amount of running so she tried to clear the phlegm out of her throat and she paced her breathing in rhythm with her running. She was told she was going to be doing this until she couldn't do it any more and set out to prove she had what it takes. She couldn't go home. There was nothing there for her anymore. When she set her eye on something she would do anything to have it. She would not walk away from this place and she would not be turned away. The more she ran the more she wished for a breeze. Any bit of cool air would have eased the feel of her uniforms clinging to her. She could feel the sweat dripping from her face and burning her eyes but she after a while she couldn't even bring her arms to her face to wipe it away. She just stayed in her rhythm and tried not to think of anything.

The sun beating down her and the aches in her legs on every lift of her knees, and the burn in her lungs that returned no matter how she timed her breath made her want to drop to her knees but every time she was just about to stop all she could think is what would she do if she did stop. If she fell to the ground and was not willing to leave the fortress it would only mean starting the running over again and then running for longer, and if she were to leave the fortress it would mean that her four year dream of being in this place would be over. She couldn't imagine what she would do if she left, though the more she ran and the more her body ached the more she wished she could think of something she would rather do with her life than be a Child of the Light so she could have an excuse to stop and leave.

She knew this was all there was for her though, all that would ever feel like the right thing for her to be doing, this was her purpose and she would do what ever it took to be a full Child and out there protecting the world. So she ran until she was so delirious that she didn't even realize she was running and her body just went through the motions and she couldn't feel anything anymore.

• 1 month later...

IC:

Evelyn eyed Katandra occasionally with little to no interest. She despised the extra work she had to do with recruits in order to continue climbing the ladder of ranks, but there were certain aspects of the job that she did appreciate. Crushing their spirit was one of them. She firmly believed that she could break anyone, if given enough time. Imagination was key and Evelyn had much to spare.

After approximately two hours, time Evelyn spent reading through a rather fascinating book, she ordered Katandra to halt. She had to repeat the order for a second time until she stopped. But she eventually did, looking rather disoriented. Evelyn didn't make any effort to conceal her amused smile.

"You may go rest until sundown. Gather your strength and meet me back here." With that said, Evelyn turned around and left, half flipping through her book.

Evelyn eyed Katandra carefully before speaking. "I hope you are well rested. I was concerned that the long run might put a stop to the training, but I'm relieved to see you're well." her words dripped of sarcasm. "As it were, we will be training indoors. So follow me." Evelyn led Katandra to one of the practice halls within the fortress where she set up earlier a human sized box made of solid wood.

"Today we're going to cover the second letter, C. Courage. Fear can sometimes be our allay. Every person experiences fear. There's nothing wrong in being afraid and it certainly does not label you a coward. The trick is to learn how to control your fear and use other's fear to your advantage. This is where most people fall into two groups. The first would be the group of frightened little prancers. You do not want to be in that group. And than there's the warriors' group. The group you want to find yourself in if you wish to join our ranks."

Evelyn moved to stand by the box. "This exquisite contraption holds many surprises within it. This exercise will not be physically demanding. It will consist of you entering the box and staying confined within it for two hours. Aside from the small space, stuffy air and lack of light, you will find yourself entertaining some company as well. Conquer your fears and you will pass this test. Go into the unknown and prove that you belong here."

Evelyn gave Katandra a leveled stare."If you come out of the box before the time is complete, you will have to re-enter it and start all over again. I will not lock the door. You are free to run out like an tiny spoiled baby at any point. It is your decision."

Evelyn leaned back on the wall and crossed her arms under her breasts. "Your palace awaits."

OOC:

The box contains creatures within it. Lizards, spiders, crickets, flies and various other insects (you can make some up). Bear in mind that they will be making noises... flapping of wings...communications of any kind... which I'm sure will go nicely with some of your terrified shrieks. ;D It's mostly a psychological test... some characters might be more inclined to be scared of the bugs, the reptiles, some of the lack of light, some of the closed space... I don't want to see someone who feels absolutely comfortable and overjoyed in this situation. No one would feel comfortable, even if they're not phobic of any of the things they endure within the box. So, no godmodding ;)

Have fun ;)

Evelyn

CotL

Katandra had been running for what felt like far longer than it actually was, but it still had been two hours, when Evelyn called her in. Katandra was so pleased to be able to stop that she let her self smile I'm done,she thought,I did it! I really did it! I guess I showed her! When we got to Evelyn's side Katandra cleared the smile off her face and steadied her breath as she stood before the woman. When the woman told her to do it again Katandra nearly argued, but she knew it would do any good. Well, I guess I didn't show her, but shows me! She ran off and did the run all over again. When she was called to a halt again she didn't even feel like smiling, she was almost ready to walk out then and there if she had been told to do it again. She knew that even if that is what she was told she would not really leave, but her body told her otherwise. The woman told her she was done and Katandra let out a small sigh of relief, but when she was told to come back that night she didn't know if she would be able to make it. When she was dismissed Katandra made her way back to her quarters and slept until it was time to get ready for round two.

When she arrived back where she had spend the better part of the day Evelyn was there waiting. After a brief discussion Katandra was led inside where her next test was waiting. On the walk she tried not to think about what it could be. Some times it is wise to try to prepare for what is to come, but in cases like this where you don't know what is waiting for you and you have no way of gaining information to go off of, all you end up doing is planning on possibilities that rarely turn out right. Then when you get there you don't just have to see what is waiting and react, you have to change your mind, see what it is and react. An extra step that could cost a life. As long as she didn't have to run anymore she thought she could do anything this woman could throw at her.

When they got inside Katandra saw the box and wondered what in the world the woman had planned. As Evelyn explained what Katandra's challenge was the girl found her eyes locked on the box. She was used to bugs, and she knew there was no reason fear something so small. There is no way that they would put creatures in there that could hurt me, I can handle a few bugs crawling on me. Clearly the fear is all your mind. Had I not been told what to expect surely that would be a better challenge than to go sit for two hours knowing that there were bugs. Surely it would be more of a challenge if I knew the entrance was blocked. Then I would be trapped in box with the Creator knows what. What sort of infant does she take me for? As long as I remind myself its just for a short time and they are only bugs I'll have no problem with this. When it was time to go in she had her head straight but heart fluttered as she entered.

As the light was blocked out as the opening was covered Katandra took a steady breath and repeated in her mind that it was all in her head. As she heard them start to hiss and began to feel them move she let herself think about how she hoped that she wasn't angering them, but before that thought was too loud in her head she turned it back to what was going on. As the bugs climbed on top of her she tried to just reassure that it was just bugs. The same as when she was a child and had let a spider climb up her arm to prove to the neighbour children that she was afraid. But that was one spider that she could see. She couldn't tell how many there were or what kind they were and they were getting louder and louder. She tried to considerate on keeping her breathing steady and keeping calm. She knew that some creatures do not react well to signs of fear so she tried to keep calm. The longer she was in there the harder it was to ignore the noises and the movements. The ones that were on her didn't bother her too much, she could tell where they were, how big there were and that they weren't a threat, but the ones that weren't on her she couldn't help but wonder how many there were and where they all were. What were they, and how long would it be before they felt comfortable enough to check her out. She was only in there for about 30 minutes when it started to overwhelm her. She knew she could leave at anytime and that knowledge was often enough to keep her from running out.

She wasn't about to run out and quit after having spent the morning pushing herself that far, but staying inside was getting harder and harder by the moment, and as some large thing she couldn't determine climbed onto her face she threw her arms up to her face to get it off and she let out a shreik of surprise. Once the first sound was out of her mouth she couldn't keep quiet and she screamed a few more times. She quickly realized that there was someone out there listening and she didn't want to seem weak, but now that her fear was out there she was having trouble calming back down. Instead of screaming she tried to talk to herself, calming words, reassuring words and reaffirming the situation again and again. I am not really in danger. They are just bugs and forest floor creatures. I can leave anytime I want, but I will not let some little bug out do me! Yes it is dark, but I don't need light to know what is here. Bugs. That is all. All darkness is is lack of light. It doesn't change what is on the inside. A box of bugs is still a box of box of bugs, light on to see them or no.

Katandra was still scared, borderline terrified really, but she kept trying to keep her mind from wandering by constantly just repeating the same thoughts over and over. If she kept her mind busy she couldn't accept too much of the fear. Fear is natural, and she knew it, but that doesn't mean you quit when you are scared. This test was about pushing through the fear and doing what needs to be done. As a Child of the Light she would of course be faced with worse fears than this. She had to be strong to fight the dark. There were more fearsome creatures out there with sweeter faces she knew, and she had be able to push her fear back and stand when others would turn away. It was all she could give but she stayed for the full two hours yet when that opening was finally uncovered she climbed out almost in a leap, and only then did she notice the tears on her cheeks.

IC:

Evelyn couldn't resist smiling when Katandra came out from the box. She half expected the door to slam open and for Katandra to run out and start rolling on the floor frantically. Unfortunately, that did not come to pass. She did however take pleasure in seeing the dried tears on her cheeks. That would have to suffice... for now. "You have passed this stage of the training. Since it is late we will reconvene tomorrow morning. Until then." Evelyn spun around and walked away.

Evelyn leaned against the wall in the training yard, contemplating her training methods. The private basic training class had been running rather smoothly. Katandra didn't prove to be the handful some of the other trainees were. Despite that, Evelyn didn't manage to break her yet. Her time was limited and so she would have to work harder at finding the cracks in Katandra's personality. That's what she needed to take control. If no cracks were found, all the better for the recruit. But it meant less fun to be had.

A few moments later, Katandra joined her. Evelyn was pleased by the punctuality, but her face did not transmit that. She kept it as hard as stone. It wasn't her job to cuddle. All the reward the recruits needed was remaining within the Fortress' walls. They didn't need more than that. Not if the CotL was indeed the place where they ought to be.

"Today we will move on to the letter R. Resistance. This lesson is not going to be easy. It will be difficult as the previous ones, only more physically demanding." Evelyn smiled. "I feel the need to remind you that this is not a tea party gathering. If you are displeased with this arrangement..." Evelyn pointed towards the Fortress' outer gates. "...you're more than welcomed to excuse yourself and go buy some herbal tea in the nearest inn. I hear the prices are very appealing these days. And the company ever so... fitting."

"However, if you choose to stay, you better pay attention." Evelyn started pacing back and forth as she spoke, her hands folded behind her back. "Resistance is a very important attribute for a warrior. It shows how much you can take before collapsing. It's true that every person has his/her limit. But the harder you push yourself, the higher that bar is and the better chance you have to survive when you're fighting for your life and the lives of others. It also means that you can undergo torture without giving away valuable information that might put us all at risk. You're expected to be capable. Strive to higher levels. You need to invest everything you have in you to accomplish this. And that's exactly what's going to be put to the test today."

"You're going to choose a stance. The one you feel you're most comfortable with. Keep in mind that you'll be on your feet for a prolonged time, so choose your stance wisely. Once you do so, I will use chalk to mark circles around your feet. You are not allowed to move your feet out of those circles, nor up from the ground." Evelyn walked to the right and stopped next to a pile of metal bits, each tied to straps. "These are weights. You will start with two of these strapped to you. Whenever 30 minutes pass, I will add another weight. All you have to do is stay on your feet the longest possible. I want you to find your limit, but I also want you to push it further. As far away as possible. And that requires vast concentration. That's key. Don't let your body win over your mind."

Evelyn waited until Katandra found her stance, marked the circles and hung the weights over her shoulders. The first few hours were to be relatively easy. The extra weight wasn't that extensive. But when the weight grew heavier and exhaustion would start to kick in, that's when the challenge really started.

And so Evelyn sat down comfortably, observing Katandra closely.

OOC: My post is pretty self explanatory. Just RP your character reacting to the weight being added and the hours passing... have her collapse at some point. You can choose when you want her to give in, of course, but keep it realistic. :)

Evelyn

CotL

Katandra woke in a cold sweat trying hard to keep from screaming. She had been dreaming that she was locked in that bug filled box from the day before, only this time it was filled with creatures unknown that really were trying to hurt her. She had tried to run, but the door was locked, and Evelyn had been cackling in the distance. Katandra tried to push the thoughts aside. She knew it had only been a dream, and she knew she needed all her wits about her. She didn't know what was in store today, but she knew she had to leave yesterday behind and move on strong today. It was another test she was sure.

She hurried along in making her bed and changing into her uniforms. She still wasn't used to the pants or having to wear the same thing every day, but she had never been one to spend hours in the closet choosing what to wear so it wasn't to much of a big deal. She had pride in wearing this uniform, and at least the pants fit better than the ridiculous things she had on when she first arrived. They could have put her in a wooden barrel and she probably would have preferred it to those pants she had come in. When she finished her breakfast she was still early but she decided to head out. She would rather be their early than to be late. As it was, she got turned around for a moment when she left her room and ended up getting to the training yard just on time. Still she was on time and she hoped that pleased Evelyn. She was beginning to hate how much she was trying to impress the woman. She knew when she came here that the only person she wanted to impress was herself. Do as well as she could, and not any less. If others demanded more she would attempt, but she would do it to prove to herself that she could, not because they had her on a sting! Though in the short time she had been at the fortress Katandra had already seen how she was doing things to show Evelyn that she could. It wasn't about Katandra doing her best any more, it was about Katandra outdoing what the woman expected of her.

She knew it shouldn't be so, it was petty really, and it served no purpose. She had to do it for herself, because at the end of the day she was the only one she could count on and the only one she truly had to take care of. Still that smug "you can't do it" look that always seemed to be in the woman's eyes bothered her to no end. Katandra didn't know if it was real or imagined, but either way when Katandra looked at the woman it blinded her, and she wanted to prove her wrong.

Katandra listened to her instructions and took a stance with feet just a little more than shoulder length apart. It was enough to stand comfortably but enough of a base to hopefully support a lot of weight. She didn't have vast experience lifting heavy things, but she had done the work of men a few times and she wasn't weak by any means. She was fairly stable on her feet, but this would be her first attempt at just holding something heavy in one place. She braced herself for the first set of weights, and when it was lighter than she expected she almost lost her balance right off the start. She quickly recovered and stood for the thirty minutes. She was more bored than anything else when Evelyn came to lay on more weights and as they increased Katandra wished she could move her legs. She didn't want to set them down, just take a step. Something to work the muscle more than just holding up the weight. She went on and on and as the hours passed Evelyn was true to her word adding more and more weight every thirty minutes.

Katandra had wanted to quit a number of times, but she knew that she had to keep going. The task was to push as far as she could. To not just give up when her body said quit, but Light how it cried quit! The girl was shifting her weight from leg to leg, careful not to lift her feet from the ground. She could feel the weights slipping on her sweat and a few times she had had to readjust them. She had almost lost her balance from that a number of times, but she managed to catch it every time. Finally it got too much for her as the woman was adding the seventh set of weights. Katandra's mind said fight it out, but her knees buckled and her legs gave out under her. As the weights dropped on to the ground around her Katandra sat in a crumpled ball. She fought of the tears that came to her eyes. She had done her best, and though she had wanted her best to be better, she knew it was all she could do. She wanted so badly to cry. To let the tears of defeat and pain flow down her cheeks, but wouldn't give in. It was not right for a Child of the Light to cry just because they were tired, sore or hurt. They were the face of strength and though she wasn't one yet, she knew she would never be her best if she couldn't even control her tears. No, she would not cry. She had done her best, and she knew that Evelyn would not have stopped until she did fall. If only she could have gone longer!

• 1 month later...

IC:

Evelyn eyed Katandra impassively as she toppled to the ground, unable to sustain the weight any longer. She wasn't the sort you could impress easily, if at all, but even she had to admit that the girl lasted longer than she would have given her credit for. It didn't necessarily mean much, but there might be hope for her yet. Sometimes Evelyn found herself being even harder on female recruits. The way the world was ran they usually had more to prove and so they had to be tougher. Stronger.

The instructor walked past Katandra, picked up the weights and walked away as she spoke. "We will meet again tomorrow, bright and early...". And with that she was off.

*********************************************************************************************************************

Another day passed to Evelyn's relief. Her part in the Basic Training was soon coming to an end and she couldn't wait till the moment she could pass Katandra on to Ezekiel for the process of the oath taking. That meant she wouldn't have to see her pitiful face ever again. Aside for the casual sighting around the fortress, of course. Or if she had to teach her another class. And so she waited patiently until the recruit showed up. Disappointed that she couldn't tell her off for being late, Evelyn spoke. "Today we review the next to last letter. A. Agility. It is the power of moving quickly and easily, while taking in all the happenings around you into consideration. The information must first be processed in your mind before it is translated into action. One will not occur without the other. Both have to be swift and exact."

Evelyn picked up her backpack and signaled Katandra to follow her. "We're going outside of the fortress. There is a rocky area in the outskirts of Amador, not too far off. A few CotL are waiting there for us, to assist with your training. And keeping them waiting is probably not a good idea. They're not as cuddly as I am. So, let us not keep them waiting more than we have to." With that said, Evelyn broke into a run, not bothering to check if Katandra was keeping up.

********************************************************************************************************************

Evelyn waited patiently until Katandra reached her.She let her rest for a while, while she conversed with the CotL she asked to help her out. A tall cliff loomed over them. It wasn't too hard to guess what the exercise would consist of. The element of surprise was not the challenge, anyway.

"Okay, listen up. Your task is very simple in description, less easy in practice. I want you to scale that cliff. And after you climb up, you have to go down the same way. The same standard rules. You will be tied to a rope that my good friends will be in charge of securing. After all, you're no use to me as a big splat. But if you slip, you start all over again. No excuses. You both act fast and think fast. Be sure you make the right choice. Don't grab a shaky rock just to be faster, though. Find your footing. It surely beats starting over. However, I do not suffer recruits who take half a day to pull this off. Careful yet quick. That's what I want to see."

Evelyn nodded at one of the CotL who let her know that they were ready for Kathandra. "Let the fun begin."

OOC:

So, just RP your character going through this exercise (no godmodding, I wanna see you ache, sweat and get all scraped *wink*) and then I'll move us on to the last exercise and finally the oath taking :)

Evelyn

CotL

Katandra was thankful for the time to rest and gather her mind and energy. It was tough here, but she knew it would be when she started. Nothing important in life ever happened without challenge. She would do whatever it took to become someone who could really help rid the world of darkfriends, and if that meant putting herself in danger than she would do it. She knew that anything that was done in her training would only be to prepare her for what was to come when she was faced with people who wanted her dead and would do anything to stop her from exposing the lies they so intricately placed.

As she came to meet her trainer once again she was fully ready to take on what ever was thrown at her. At least she thought she was. She was pleased to be on time again, and while she knew they should be on the same side as clearly this person walked in the Light or they never would have made it as far into the Children as they had to be able to teach her, she still found herself pleased at the thought that her being on time would be mean one less thing for her trainer to find fault with, and thus one more thing Katandra could do to prove that she was better than the teacher thought she was. She was told they would be going out of the Fortress and Katandra just nodded. What could they be making her do now? As she ran off after her instructor Katandra started trying to think through what they could be doing? Could they be training with weapons? Perhaps long range? A bow perhaps? But wouldn't they have a place at the Fortress to learn that? Perhaps they were taking her out into a place to recreate a scene that she may come into when she was done her training, just to see how she would react in a real world setting? The more she thought the more she found she was falling behind and her breathing was off timing. She pushed any thoughts out of her head and concentrated on keeping her breathing even and keeping pace with the woman in front of her. It was nice to see her do something, Katandra found herself giving the woman a little more respect. So she hadn't been all talk. Katandra knew the woman would have gone through similar training, but she wasn't sure how long ago that would have been and had thought the woman had probably grown soft giving orders instead of doing the training herself. Of course Katandra had no idea what this woman did when she wasn't sitting back watching the trainee all but kill herself.

When they arrived at the cliff and she was told to climb it Katandra's face paled. She wasn't afraid of heights, but that sight would drain the blood from anyone. When she was told there would be a rope the colour came back a little bit, there would be no fear of falling to her death. Falling to her failure would be almost as bad for her though. As she got tied into the harness she just kept reminding herself that this task was accomplish-able. She just had to keep her head about her. She needn't worry of falling, she would be caught, so that was one less thing to think of. Just stay calm and stay smart. She started up the side and she moved rather swiftly. It wasn't her first time scaling something, though it was the first time scaling this high, and she didn't know this ground. She was going cautiously and testing every hold before she put too much weight on it, a few times she had to pull off some pretty awkward positions to reach a place that would hold, but she thought she was going at good steady pace. As she was getting closer to the top she was quite surprised at how quickly she was getting there and then it happened. She reached above her to a rock that looked sturdy, she tested it and it didn't budge so she grabbed it and moved her foot up. As she was testing the rock under her foot her hand slipped and the rock under her food broke free. Her body swung but her left hand held on. She tried to keep herself as close the cliff as she could and she could feel the one hand slipping too as she reached out in panic trying to find anything to grasp with her right.

Her heart was beating so hard it felt like it would pound right through her chest and the fear of falling to her death almost paralyzed her, yet she managed to grab a small tuft of thick grass to give her a little bearing. She knew it wouldn't hold her long but it was long enough to find a foot hold for her still hanging foot and then she found a solid rock for her hand. She wanted to cling to that spot of safety she had found and not move but the words of her instructions rushed into her head. She waited to be lowered down and prepared to have to start over but it didn't seem to come and after only a minute she continued to climb. She was shaky the rest of the way up and she felt she was moving at a snails pace, but the sun wasn't much further over by the time she had reached the top. Hands and legs bleeding from her slip and flailing for a hold, sweat running down her body sticking the dust to her face and clothes like mud. She looked a mess and felt as though she had cheated death. She wasn't ready to dance over it, rather ready to lie on the ground clinging to its safety and cry. Instead she stood at the top of the cliff shaking and soaked holding back the tears of pain, relief, and fear.

• 1 month later...

IC:

After the agility test Evelyn sent Katandra to rest. In a few days she would undergo the lest test before the oath-taking and finally she would be done with her. She started her walk back to the fortress, lost in thought.

******************************************************************************************************************

Evelyn eyed Katandra. "I hope you are well rested. Because every bit of energy you've gained will be exhausted in matter of minutes. Now, we're going to finish with the letter B. Evelyn led Katandra to a contraption that was standing in the middle of the arena. She built it herself for the class. It consisted of a thick log sustained above the ground by support of additional logs in every end. "As I was saying earlier, we're at the letter B. Balance. Which goes hand in hand with coordination. In the battle field the enemy isn't going to wait on you until you tie your shoe laces, before it attacks. You are expected, as a soldier, to have coordination skills... to a certain extent. Multitasking is important in every aspect in life, but today I will only be testing you on one."

Evelyn grabbed a bucket she placed there prior to the class and fished a stone out of it. "Your task is to stand on that log and remain on it as long as possible, while remaining alert as well. Alert to what, you ask? Well, to this." Evenlyn threw the stone in her hand, and watched it whirling just above the log. "You will repeat this until I decide you've managed to hold long enough. And fear not, my aim is impeccable." Evenlyn smiled unpleasantly. "Up you go."

Evelyn

Kickass trainer

• 4 weeks later...

Katandra woke early that morning and winced as her wounds throbbed. Her muscles still strained from catching herself on the cliff a few days before, but the pain had dulled. SCRAB. Stamina. Courage. Resistance. Agility. Balance.she thought. I have proven I have Stamina, Courage, Resistance and Agility. I only have one left. Ha! You only have one more chance to stump me Evelyn! That thought lasted with her long enough to get her up and dressed. Perhaps going through the SCRAB test was just the being of the time this woman would be challenging her. She knew that being part of the Children of the Light would be a challenge almost every day and that there would be new things to learn, but she had to prove that she was worthy to at least get that title. If for no other reason than to prove to this tyrant of woman, who still seemed to think that she could break Katandra, that she was capable of being one of them. She made her way to meet with Evelyn preparing her mind to face whatever would be expected of her as she took the test of Balance.

As Katandra climbed to the top of the structure she still couldn't believe what Evelyn had in store. This must truly be my last test, she knows I will pass it so she wants to have her fun while she can. As she stood tall on top of the structure and tried to balance as she shifted her weight, she all but glared down at the woman. You couldn't make me leave with the other tests you gave, and you can't make me leave now. I will not let you have the satisfaction of thinking you can defeat me, you must be desperate now to even think of throwing rocks at me. How childish, but I suppose its all you have left. Well go ahead and give it your best try, you wont beat me. I will not give up on my dream! Katandra gasped as rock flew by her face, pushing her hair back as it passed. That woman had almost taken out her eye - and by the look on her face it had been an intentional miss.

The rocks kept flying, and not always at the head. To the right and left. At the knees and chest. The rocks kept coming, not very big and not always in quick succession, but they didn't have to be big or fast to knock her off balance. The longer she stayed her ground the more rocks hit her and the more they seemed to sting when they did. She thought the woman was having too much fun with this test, and she probably was, but the rocks seemed to sting more and more each time they made contact even though Evelyn never seemed to be trying too hard to hurt the girl. Katandra managed to deflect or dodge a good number of the rocks but she dared not move too much. She could live with bruises and bumps, but she could not live with the humiliation of falling off that structure and having to face that woman in defeat.

The rocks kept coming and Katandra almost slipped, when she was starting to teeter the woman threw a rock and Katandra ablsently cought it as she fought to straighten up again. That's enough! Katandra thought as she glared out at the woman and rose her hand throw the rock back out at her. Just as she started pull her hand back to wind up the throw she was aiming at Evelyn's head Katandra felt the sharp sting of a rock hitting her wrist and she dropped the rock when her hand spasmed. It wasn't too long after that that the woman finally let up, and Katandra was allowed to come down. I've done it! I've won! Stamina, Courage, Resistance, Agility and Balance. I've proven I could do it all! I can do it. I can do this. I will be a Child of the Light!the thought had started out in her as being proud to have stood her ground against the woman who Katandra felt was trying get her to leave, but by the time she was done thinking the words she was only proud of what she had accomplished. She had proven to herself that she could these things, things she just realized that she had not been sure she really could accomplish when she started.

• 1 year later...

IC:

Evelyn yawned. The lesson lasted longer than what she anticipated and she was growing anxious with finally seeing the training completed and done with. When Katandra reached the ground she grinned and stood up. Without giving her a moment to collect herself, she went on. "You have met the basic requirements that the CotL expects of you as an initiate. It means nothing more that you qualify. That you have potential to perhaps be greater than what you are. Every step you make in the ranks will feel like a thousand. For every achievement there will be ache. Here you remember what you are with every breath. Remember that." She dusted her trousers with a sharp movement of her hands and turned to leave, pausing for a moment to look sideways. "Find your way back to the Fortress. Clean up and stand ready to be summoned to take the first oath. You are dismissed."

Ezekiel barged into rooms with no pause, ordering the recruits to meet him back in the yard. Ignoring any questions or inquiries and simply stating a fact. They were either going to be there or he was personally going to pick out an eloquent punishment for each and every one of them. And he was known for his vast imagination and cruelty. As was the Hand as whole.

Eventually, he made his way back to yard, pursing his lips in contemplation for a moment before proceeding. His cloak flapped in the soft breeze as the sun started to set down, giving the sky a red/purple shade. They were all about to undergo one of the oldest customs the Children of the Light had. The first Oath. A solid tie to the Fortress and the cause.

Increasing the usual volume of his voice, Ezekiel spoke ceremonially. "We meet when day ends and night begins to seal your commitment to the Light. Please, repeat after me." Raising his eyes to the setting sun, Ezekiel recited. "By the Light and my hope of salvation and rebirth, I swear fealty to The Children of The Light. I vow to serve, respect and grant obedience to the high command. In the name of the Creator, I swear it."

OOC: Ok, post yourself taking the oath and what you feel when you swear it....and consider this thread done!

Nyn

CotL

Her legs were shaking, threating to drop her to the ground as she made her way down to the ground. Her wrist was still throbbing and she unconcously wrapped her good hand around to putting some pressure on it. She was going to send a glare at Evelyn but the woman didn't give her a chance. "You have met the basic requirements that the CotL expects of you as an initiate. It means nothing more that you qualify. That you have potential to perhaps be greater than what you are. Every step you make in the ranks will feel like a thousand. For every achievement there will be ache. Here you remember what you are with every breath. Remember that." Katandra couldn't believe her ears. Though she had just thought the same of herself moments before, she couldn't believe she was really hearing it from Evelyn.

Before she could start bumbling excited thanks or thoughts of disbelief, the quartermaster was turning to leave. "Find your way back to the Fortress. Clean up and stand ready to be summoned to take the first oath. You are dismissed." Katandra pulled her excitement under control and quickly ran off to her quarters to follow the orders.

It was time to take her Oath. It wasn't the three oaths that she had spent her childhood dreaming of. She could feel the anger bubble inside her as the thought crossed her mind. No! You will not take this joy away from me too!, she thought, I will be a Child of the Light and that is something far more honourable than being a witch could ever be! I put in the work to show them that I deserve it and that makes me worthy of it. There is no popularity contest in serving the Light!

She looked herself over in the mirror, studying the uniform she had been given. The thoughts of her past slipped away as the pride of her future started to set it. It is real. This is really happening. I really have done it! She had been telling herself that she would succeed. And when she felt she couldn't go on with the training she had reminded herself of all reasons she wanted it. She had forcefully told her self persistence would pay off. Now that it had, she wasn't sure how to handle it. She fixed her uniform and stood staring at her reflection with more pride than she had ever felt before. In a matter of moments she would be a true Child of the Light. She tried to reflect on that but she couldn't make it seem real.

Suddenly Ezekiel barged into her room and Katandra jumped with fright. She pulled herself together quickly and ran out the door after him. She met with the others who were summoned and followed them outside to the ceremony. Even seeing them in the glow of the setting sun didn't really make it feel real. She tried to connect with it, to enjoy the reward for her hard work, to force the reality of finally making it set in, but it was no use. It was nothing more than a dream, someone else's moment that she was mistakenly part of.

As words of the ceremony began Katandra couldn't help but think someone would notice her standing amid the ranks and stop the process to pull her out. The ceremony never did stop and she heard the order to repeat the Oath. Katandra took a steadying breath and prepaired to take the most important oath of her life. I have done it! I have proven myself and my determination. I have earned this, and I am ready for all that comes with this.

As the others beside her began to speak, Katandra let herself smile as her voice rose to join them, "By the Light and my hope of salvation and rebirth, I swear fealty to The Children of The Light. I vow to serve, respect and grant obedience to the high command. In the name of the Creator, I swear it."

It was done. She meant every word. She was truly one of them now, and soon she would be able to do what she came here to do. Soon she would be able to help save the world!

~ Katandra

Child of the Light