DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Kin, Saidar, and age

Jasonm

I'm on tPoD right now and reading about the Kin escaping from the Seanchan. And a thought just occured to me, how exactly does the age thing work for the women who aren't Aes Sedai? Do you have to constantly be touching Saidar for x amount of years to live for however long. Or like some of the Kin, fairly weak in the power, not touching it so much, but still live to be much older than Aes Sedai?

I know the oath rod is the factor with Aes Sedai, but I guess my main question is, if you touch Saidar, and haven't sworn on the oath rod, will you automatically live for quite a long time?

I'm on tPoD right now and reading about the Kin escaping from the Seanchan. And a thought just occured to me, how exactly does the age thing work for the women who aren't Aes Sedai? Do you have to constantly be touching Saidar for x amount of years to live for however long. Or like some of the Kin, fairly weak in the power, not touching it so much, but still live to be much older than Aes Sedai?

I know the oath rod is the factor with Aes Sedai, but I guess my main question is, if you touch Saidar, and haven't sworn on the oath rod, will you automatically live for quite a long time?

In theorie, the stronger you are, the longer you live. But you have to have been manipulating Saidar for the effect to appear. And yes, the Oath Rod is effectively a factor to Aes Sedai's age problem. However, it's not the chanelled quabtity that affect the lifespan. See Saidar as a virus increase cells resistance to "death" by healing them and improving their strenght. As soon as developped, it can't go further.

I don't know if it's clearer.

I was under the impression that because they were 'touched' so to speak, it prolonged their life. I don't know the science behind it, but I would have thought that accessing Saidar once and being able to channel only a trickle (not enough for the arrogant White Tower) is enough to give you the life boost that all Aes Sedai enjoy.

So I think it is more of a Power thing rather than being an Aes Sedai, who, again, in their arrogance can't believe anyone can live that long.

Look at the Windfinders. I bet they've got a few aged women among them and they can channel very well.

I was under the impression that because they were 'touched' so to speak, it prolonged their life. I don't know the science behind it, but I would have thought that accessing Saidar once and being able to channel only a trickle (not enough for the arrogant White Tower) is enough to give you the life boost that all Aes Sedai enjoy.

Yet Morgase was most deifnietly not on the Channellers life-span. No-one ever commented about how she looked younger than her years, despite the fact that she managed to touch the true source once when she was at the Tower.

Yet Morgase was most deifnietly not on the Channellers life-span. No-one ever commented about how she looked younger than her years, despite the fact that she managed to touch the true source once when she was at the Tower.

Well, actually ...

Yes, Morgase has slowed, and that is exactly why there is so much emphasis on her looking only ten years older than Perrin when she has children the ages of Elayne and Gawyn.

http://www.dragonmount.com/RobertJordan/?p=26

Thats from Jordan's blog, so yes, Morgase definitely has slowed.  She looks like she's only a little older than her children.

Archived