DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Football - Premier league 10/11

Majsju

Ok, Community Shield is played, and we are only days away from kickoff for the new season.

I think we are looking at a more competative season than ever. Man City is obviously posing a threat with their insane spending (over £100 million for the second seson in a row), but clubs like Aston Villa, Everton, Sunderland and last sesons surprising 4th team Tottenham have all boosted their squads. The top teams will lose quite a few points against eams they easily pushed aside a few seasons ago. And the new rules about a 25-player squad also plays a role here, making it slightly easier for the smaller clubs to narrow the gap.

But in the end, I think it will be as usual, United and Chelski will fight till the end for the title. With united as slight favourites, for several reasons.

Behind them it is a bit more interesting. Two CL-spots to fight for, and four teams who should be fighting for them - Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City and Tottenham. I would have tossed in Aston Villa as a fifth team, but I just heard that O'Neill has left the club, and that weakens them a lot.

In the bottom, Blackpool will definitly get relegated. They came up with a squad too weak for a PL campaign, and have not really signed anything. Newcastle, West Brom, Stoke, Wolverhampton and Wigan will all be involved in the fight to avoid the other relegation spots. Fulham might get a tough season now that Hodgson left for Liverpool.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Villa will end up around 10th place, because you can not replace someone like O'Neill just like that. However, in a longterm perspective, this whole affair opens for a better future for the club. They got a good result last season, they had one of the best managers in the PL, so there must have been a great deal of temptation to just throw money out there, trying to boost the squad for for another successful season, and worry about the finances later. Instead, the owners show that they want to be responsible, and not go shopping for money they do not have. Something I think will pay off in seasons to come.

Of course, Villa is hardly alone in this. Pretty much every club except the wankers in babyblue have been quite careful on the transfermarket. Even Spurs, who all of a sudden found themselves in the Champions League. They did not do any spectacular signings until the last day, when 'arry got an insane bargain on VDV.

Top 4 will most likely be,

1. United

2. Chelsea

3. Arsenal

4. city

With a big questionmark for city, they have so far shown that they will be hard to beat, but there is a huge lack of creativity on the midfield, hinting at them just like last season lining up draws where it should be wins. But, their greatest competition for the 4th spot should be Spurs, and unless Spurs are eliminated in the CL group stage, I can not see them have the squad depth for fighting two campaigns. They have a starting 11 that could even challenge Arsenal for 3rd, but the players 12-25 is a different story. And there is so much money in CL that they must go for it.

I agree with ur probable top 4 apart from Chelsea will beat u to the title.

Thing that annoys me the most about the Villa is we haven't had a reliable striker since we sold Dwight Yorke to you. When I said reliable I meant it in a good way...

So, PL took a break for the Carling Cup. Lets look at a couple of games, shall we...

Newcastle eliminated Chelsea.

Arsenal took out Tottenham.

West Brom eliminated Man City.

United brushed Scunthorpe aside, in a game that was mostly interesting because it was Bebes competative debut for United. There is talent in the boy, no doubt about it.

And finally...

Northampton (League 2) eliminated Liverpool. At Anfield.biggrin.gif

Well there's more to laugh at, a nil all draw with Utrecht. It be bleedin hilarious if it wasn't so depressing. Joe Cole can't be arsed at the moment and neither can Torres. Carragher is a big hoffer, Johnson is all over the place, Lucas just goes missing and Maxi have massive ears. They can't make a forward pass or press the ball or win headers or just bleeding string a few passes together. :sammy:

I still think Villa will end up around 10th, even if they have managed quite well without O'neill so far. But it is one thing to play football in september, when the weather is decent, you get a couple of results, and most players are fit. Come the nitty gritty in january, a club needs great leadership, and O'Neill is one of the greatest leaders in British football.

On the other hand, sometimes a thing like losing a boss like O'Neill can make the players come together as a team in a way no coach can make them, so who knows.

And of course, to finish above liverpool his season you probably will not have to reach 6thbiggrin.gif

Big South Coast derby today down in League 1, where the Saints take on the Cherries! Big game for the Saints as we try and restart under a new manager.

I think a 2-1 win for Southampton over Bournemouth!

With PL on a break for the international qualifiers, we get an opportunity to look at other leagues for our regular fix of high quality football.

For example, North Ireland. Hands up everyone who had heard about Matty Burrows before he introduced himself by doing

Bloody hell!

Today should be an interesting day for Liverpool,as the high court will start the process of deciding whether or not Hicks and Gill were allowed to block the sale of the club. If they were, it might mean administration, and -9 points for a club that has had a catastrophical start of the season.

Cheer up, scousers, tickets are much cheaper in the Championshipbiggrin.gif

Archived