DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What if the Dark One didn't even exist?

MikeRiley

I was just thinking about all these situations the main characters find themselves in where they see things that they either want to see (dream world) or the area draws from their possible futures or mind to create for them a new world (ring ter'angreals, Moghedien's TAR trap). So my thought here,

Is it possible that when the Bore was drilled, it simply opened access to the True Power like they thought would happen, but the True Power acted like the taint and simply (for lack of a better way to put it) spilled over that portion of the pattern, slowly corrupting the people? They hear what they want and the Dark One is just an entity created by them. The first people to tap into the True Power itself and channel it, somebody looking for the meaning behind the corruptness of it might have come to the conclusion that there must be a greater god at work. From there, you have the Dark One's creation - like a nightmare formed in the dream world, he exists because somebody thought he did and others still believe due to the constant effects of the True Power tainting the pattern being misrepresented as being the Dark One's work.

I know the Dark One does show signs of intelligence at times, but as a sort of nightmare that's been created from man's own mind, it would take on its own intelligence, but still cease to exist once the real source of the corruption was removed from the equation.

Rand being tied to the land might simply be a balance in the world against the True Power's effect, to keep things in the natural order until that TP flow can be shut off. The idea here is that even with the seals broken, all it would do is increase the rate of flow, so to speak, and draw more people to the evil path. The Dark One would never really be free because he's just a shade formed from the minds of those that sought him out. It would even explain why Lews Therin shouts that "It's him" when Rand channels the True Power. With the True Power running full force after breaking the seals, given enough time (or Rand turning dark again) it would shift the natural balance from neutral to evil, and the Wheel would be broken that way. Basically, the Dark One wouldn't even need to be real in order to win. So far from all we've seen of him, he's just a caps lock boogeyman.  

Probably just another crazy theory that'll be shot down easily. It's an early morning thought. Shaidar Haran might be able to be explained away as being Moridin (I read some theories on here somewhere suggesting that, too). I'd actually like to see that theory be true.

Edit: Just an extra thought on it, if the One Power is what the pattern is created from and drives the Wheel of Time, simply having the True Power access present would corrupt things, it wouldn't have to actually be channeled.

Driving Mr. Sanderson (from Half Moon Bay to San Jose), 21 November 2009 - Matt Hatch reporting

Matt: There was some confusion about Rand and the Dark One’s permission, so for clarification’s sake, did Rand have the Dark One’s permission to use the True Power?

Brandon: I have not answered that. If anyone says that I have, I have not. What I have said specifically is, this is recording6 : generally one must have the Dark One’s permission to use the True Power. Semirhage believed that the Dark One had betrayed her by letting Rand use it.  It is good that you have asked this so I can make sure on the record that is the answer I have given.

The Gathering Storm Book Tour, Scottsdale Public Library, Phoenix Arizona 16 November 2009 - kcf reporting

Brandon also said that the Dark One would have liked very much to transmigrate Sammael but didn’t. Apparently, since he died by Mashadar, Sammael was either unable to be transmigrated or it would have been a very bad idea. Basically, Mashadar tainted Sammael’s thread somehow.

TOR Questions of the Week, February 2005-July 2005

Week 9 Question: We've read in the Forsaken's points of view that channeling in the Pit of Doom would have some...unpleasant...effects. Is this related to the nature of the opposition of the One Power to the True Power or is it the Dark One consciously acting against the channeler? If so, why should the Dark One care?

Robert Jordan Answers: It is a matter of the Dark One consciously acting, though interactions between the One Power and him, the source of the True Power, can be unpredictable. The Dark One is not pleasant. He is also highly distrustful. He…dislikes…things that happen outside his control or not at his order. Call him the ur-control freak. Combine these two facts, and anyone channeling in the Pit of Doom without permission can expect swift punishment on the assumption that failure to ask permission means you intend to do something he won't like. It isn't that he believes anyone can harm him, just that he is in charge, and your failure to ask permission, your presumed intention to do something he wouldn't like, means that your faithfulness quotient has just suffered a severe downturn. Myself, I'd sell you short in a skinny minute.

AOL Chat #2 - 27 June 1996

DayTripr1: And also is the Dark One the only source of the True Power?

RobtJordan: Yes, the Dark One is the only source of the True Power.

Compuserve Chat 26 June 1996

Martin Reznick: How was the Dark One created, i.e. is he a fallen angel, an inherent part of the universe, etc.?  

RJ: I envision the Dark One as being the dark counterpart, the dark balance if you will, to the Creator carrying on the theme, the yin yang, light dark, necessity of balance theme that has run through the books . . . it's somewhat Manichean I know, but I think it works.

Martin Reznick: Are there limits to the Dark One's power besides: inability to reincarnate balefired people, and his imprisonment?

RJ: Read and find out! Obviously, there are some limits or he simply would have ripped the prison open and done as he wanted to do. With an absolutely powerful character, there is no story, or at least the story goes "it shall be as I will it to be," he said, and so it was . . . the end. That's the whole story.

Hence.. he exists :D

Is there a part in the book where the Creator speaks?

Possibly, there is a scene near the end of Etow where a mysterious voice speaks to Rand and basically states that it will not interfere. It has not be revealed to whom this voice belongs but it was printed in all capitals similar to when the DO speaks and many readers believe this to be The Creator

The theory makes sense, and if the story was "real" it would probably be true. But these are books, the Dark One is a very important part of the plot. Without him the ending would seem stupid. I doubt that Jordan wanted the Dark One to be fake, and I don't think Sanderson would add that in.

Archived