DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What could have been done with the Power

LemonPastie

Something that really grinds my gears is how the small uses for the power, or even clever uses aren't explored. Some ideas of what a channeler could are

Furniture that is made from air, maybe with some fire/earth to give it some colour. You could give it a switch that has a 'normal' chair setting and a lighter than air setting (with attached rope). Or even a 'briefcase' setting like george jetson. This would seem to make travelling a lot easier on people, and imagine the prices you could sell it for.

As for clever things, why didn't Egwene just make a small Traveling gate, put her hand through to touch the chain and turn it to Cullendar remotely. This could even be used to pour boiling oil over enemies etc.

While I'm on my gears being ground, why can't Traveling gates be tied off?

What else would you like to see someone do, just for the convenience?

A lot of the uses for the Power have been lost over time, but I'd like to see elementals being made.

i.e. making a soldier out of earth or fire.  This could be tied off and injected with a spirit weave or somesuch, and voila.

I also wondered if Rand would/could make a sword out of gateway.

i.e. we know the gateway will cut through anything, so why not make a thin gateway and use it as a sword? 

Would be sharp as anything.

Discuss.

This gets to me to.

One i want to see is someone opening a gateway to the bottom of the ocean, and pointing the other gateway towards say... Shayol Ghul and watch that massive stream of water flood the place. Or just point it towards an oncoming army and watch the great highly pressured stream of water tear them to pieces.

oooh a hot air balloon made of air with a vacuum in the middle to make it float.

so many things they could try  :-\

a lot of the clever things probably don't even require any new knowledge of the power, just innovative ideas.

and why would power swords be of fixed length? put a intermittant jab on them, take the opponent by suprise

I suppose Rand's fire sword could jab out, if he wanted it to. Of course, if you can do that, you can also just burn whomever you're facing to a crisp without using a sword to begin with, which is probably why he stopped using his fire sword a long time ago.

and why can't Egwene just make a brace for her chair that 'almost' collapses under her every time she sits down?

gah! I had a big grumble to my wife tonight about the things they don't do in the books, and she hasn't even read them and doesn't know much about the mechanics of channeling

As for clever things, why didn't Egwene just make a small Traveling gate, put her hand through to touch the chain and turn it to Cullendar remotely. This could even be used to pour boiling oil over enemies etc.

Traveling is a closely guarded secret. She also considered Traveling into the White Tower to obtain the oath rod but doesn't do so because if anybody inside could read residues or see her create the gateway then she would have given up their whole advantage with the siege.

A lot of the uses for the Power have been lost over time, but I'd like to see elementals being made.

i.e. making a soldier out of earth or fire.  This could be tied off and injected with a spirit weave or somesuch, and voila.

i.e. we know the gateway will cut through anything, so why not make a thin gateway and use it as a sword? 

Would be sharp as anything.

Discuss.

I guess the Nym can pretty much be considered as earth elementals.

Rand already uses the gateways in this way, he called them deathgates at Algarin's manor.

and why can't Egwene just make a brace for her chair that 'almost' collapses under her every time she sits down?

Because she's too busy bullying everybody else and talking to herself about how Mat and Rand are woolheads. I believe there's also a bit of the whole "I'm the Amyrlin so I can have candles, too. She and all the other Aes Sedai could have just used the power. Egwene even used the proper weave for this when she, Nynaeve and Elayne went down to the White Tower's sub levels to paw through the Black Ajah leavings. They tied off a glowing ball of light and attached them to the walls. That was probably the last we've seen of the weave entirely.

One i want to see is someone opening a gateway to the bottom of the ocean, and pointing the other gateway towards say... Shayol Ghul and watch that massive stream of water flood the place. Or just point it towards an oncoming army and watch the great highly pressured stream of water tear them to pieces.

That would be terrible from a story point of view.

i.e. making a soldier out of earth or fire.  This could be tied off and injected with a spirit weave or somesuch, and voila.

That wouldnt be possible.

He already uses a more effective method, Deathgates.

Furniture that is made from air, maybe with some fire/earth to give it some colour. You could give it a switch that has a 'normal' chair setting and a lighter than air setting (with attached rope). Or even a 'briefcase' setting like george jetson. This would seem to make travelling a lot easier on people, and imagine the prices you could sell it for.

The AS arnt strong enough. Only a few like Egwene/Elayne etc.. would even be able to try it, as it is, there is no point in trying, they have better things to do with their time than make "clever" things.

Because she didnt want to risk giving the Tower AS the weave for Travelling....

While I'm on my gears being ground, why can't Traveling gates be tied off?

Its not possible.... Only Demandred, Lews Therin and Semirhage can hold a gateway open.

Something that really grinds my gears is how the small uses for the power, or even clever uses aren't explored.

Its pointless, its a story, not a realll world, it is still a boook, plot driven, theres no point in exploring these things, it would only slow the story down. Too many complain that the story goes too slow as it is....

In any case, I imagine some of this will be discussed in the WoT encyclopedia that will be out sometime after AMOL, so you may find a lot of nifty littlle things in there. Keep your hopes up ;D

PS: (Sorry for the overlapping posts)

Really? Lanfear was pretty strong, and you have to figure Ishamael/Moridin is as well. Or is that strength in a particular area, like Healing for example?

Yeah I imagine it would be a talent and not really based on strength. Alot of channelers seem to have all these little strange things regarding him that arent at all strength specific, and holding a Gateway is probably one of them. Or it could be dexterity based, although Demandred being more "agile" with his weaves more so then say Lanfear or Graendal is a bit weird.

Archived