DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Are Ogier similar to Aiel?

louigie15

In the sid eof the ocean where Rand and everybody else are the ogier all are in steddings and seem to be a lot different than the Ogier that are from Seanchan and are in the Deathwatch Guard.  It seems like the ones in Rands side of the world follow the old ways and are peaceful and gardeners opposite of the warrior types from Seanchan.  Also Ogier like Loial need to visit the steddings after a time but the other Ogier don't seem to have that problem.  Maybe the Ogier like Loil are following the way of the leaf type lifestyle and the other Ogier follow the warrior path.  What do you think will happen when the two different Ogier groups meet?

The Aiel in the old days followed The Way of the Leaf as the Jenn Aiel until the big split and now they have the warrior Aiel until Rand spilled the beans in TSR.  I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts.

I don't think any Ogier have been shown to follow the way of the leaf.  Though I do think the ones on Rand's side try to avoid violence.  There is the old saying that is mentioned of it being dangerous to anger an Ogier or of Ogier being implaceble enemies. And we know that Loial, Elder Haman, Loail's Mom and Erith were fighting trollocs in TGS I think.  When Rand was in the glass columns seeing through his ansestors eyes, I think one of his ancestors, closer to the Age of Legends, got hit or knocked down and somebody mentioned that an Ogier could come as if that would be dangerous, so it seems to me the Ogier were not following the way of the leaf then either.  Still I think Rand's side Ogier prefer to be peaceful.

Why the Seanchan side Ogier appear to be a little more violent or aggressive, I don't know.  They never developed the longing since Stedding are apparently more plentifull on the Seanchan continent. 

The strong martial tradition of the Ogier has faded over the years. During the Age of Legends and the War of the Shadow, they were known to be fierce warriors (and also appear to have acted as a police force), with Lews Therin Telamon elected as their head. The Ogier of the lands of the east have been tied to the stedding since the Breaking of the World. Due to the chaos of the Breaking, they could no longer could find the stedding nor stay very long in any they could find. Seanchan Ogier also do not suffer from the Longing, because the concentration of stedding in Seanchan was much higher than in the land where Artur Hawkwing was born. This allowed them to stave off the Longing, though the effects on their culture and mindset is unknown. ---- from WOT wiki.

It seems that even in the AOL there were two sets of Ogier anyways the ones who fought in wars and the ones who were Treesingers and helped grow plants, so I think when they do meet up they will be like oh no problemwe can drop our treesingers off with you, any of you Randlanders want to fight?

The strong martial tradition of the Ogier has faded over the years. During the Age of Legends and the War of the Shadow, they were known to be fierce warriors (and also appear to have acted as a police force), with Lews Therin Telamon elected as their head. The Ogier of the lands of the east have been tied to the stedding since the Breaking of the World. Due to the chaos of the Breaking, they could no longer could find the stedding nor stay very long in any they could find. Seanchan Ogier also do not suffer from the Longing, because the concentration of stedding in Seanchan was much higher than in the land where Artur Hawkwing was born. This allowed them to stave off the Longing, though the effects on their culture and mindset is unknown. ---- from WOT wiki.

It seems that even in the AOL there were two sets of Ogier anyways the ones who fought in wars and the ones who were Treesingers and helped grow plants, so I think when they do meet up they will be like oh no problemwe can drop our treesingers off with you, any of you Randlanders want to fight?

I thought the contrary. The Seanchan Ogier giving up axes, joining the Randland Ogier in Treesing, and adressing the aiel :"hey! Do any of you Da'shain wanna join us singing?"

:D would be cool!

Archived