DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Realizing Mat is married to the Empress..

johnnyrocket

When everyone realizes that Mat is married to Tuon... That is going to be awesome. How do you think it is going to go down, do you think he will tell Elayne and co. when/if he meets them in Caemlyn? Is he just going to sort of jaunt off to Finnland before telling anyone who his new wife is and helping with negotiations? I think he may rather face the snakes than admit to his friends that he kidnapped and married their enemy. I started my re-read way to early...

Mat's going to have other things on his mind, like the cannon and getting those organised, trying to hold Thom back from a mad dash to the ToG, wondering what's in Verin's letter and wanting to open it before the time is up, and so on. Plus he's less than happy with the knowledge that he's now a noble! I don't see him waltzing in and saying 'hi Elayne, know what, I married the DotNM'. It will come out in conversation but only when it has to, when Mat is in a situation where he has to say 'er, guys..', I think.

yeah, i agree with FSM. He wont really want to be admitting it, but there will most likely be a time of great need when he has to put his foot down.

On a side note, its funny with verin's letter, do we know of any way to bind the letters instructions to the particular person?

Because if i was mat, i would just open the letter in any case and see what it is, then throw it away if i was not keen on it.

Because if i was mat, i would just open the letter in any case and see what it is, then throw it away if i was not keen on it.

Mat is too honorable, he keeps his bargains. He may gripe about the unfairness but he always keeps his word.

You know, when next Rand or Nynaeve meet him, they might think to ask him WHY he decided to kidnap Tuon. From there, things might develop a certain way, and he'll end up telling them the truth. Or Thom might. It's not like the marriage was kept secret.

Ever since tGH and the Portal stone trip, I've wondered about the whole "I'd never betray you Rand". I mean there are supposed to be so man different endings viewed in those Portal stones that why would that be a common enough thing for Mat to have to comment on after the trip? I've wondered if his marrying Toun would somehow set Rand off. With VoG in tGS it might not even be an issue but it sorta stuck out to me seeing Mat that tramuatized by the trip that Betrayl was what most shook him up.

Maybe it's just a mark on how damn loyal Mat really is.

Recall that Mat was under the influence of the ruby dagger at the time, which magnifies feelings of paranoia.

Yeah but even under it's influence he still never betrayed Rand.

Want to clarify that I don't think Mat would ever betray, only that Rand would think he had.

Egwene will capture Tuon, leash her with an a'dam, then Egwene will find out Mat is her husband when a very angry Mat comes knocking

I think Egwene is entirely too self-righteous to ever leash another human. But the thought of Mat spanking her into oblivion makes me happy.

When everyone realizes that Mat is married to Tuon... That is going to be awesome. How do you think it is going to go down,

Rand's an understanding chap, especially once Mat explains about how the snake heads from that doorway in Tear said he was fated to marry the 'daughter of the nine moons'.  After all, The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills.

Because Rand knows Mat so well, the fact that Mat not only married, but a noblewoman and the Empress of Seanchan to boot might make Rand end up laughing so hard tears roll down his cheeks, and he has to hold his side for fear it will tear open. All the while Mat punches Rand in the shoulder with a glare grumbling, "at least I'M not married to THREE bossy women."

I agree with FSM, too, in that Mat will probably be put in a position where he will HAVE to say something. Given his history of womanizing and his pride in that, I doubt it's information that he will outrightly divulge.

That being said, there also another possibility. Thom, or some other person with his ear-to-the-ground, will most likely have heard of the Empress' wedding. As someone else said, it's not like it's a hidden fact. Granted it was something of an ordeal to be reached, word DOES tend to get around.

But I digress. The scene that I visualize is Thom reporting to whomever he's with, Mat included, that the Empress has married someone of Randland. The group will then proceed to tease and/or talk about the situation and how anyone could betray their lands or aid in the invasion in that way. Mat, in this time, will be either silent or violently outspoken in agreement of this.

Later, when the truth of his marriage is revealed, those involved in that conversation will wonder why he didn't say anything. It'd be funny, I think.

The scene that I visualize is Thom reporting to whomever he's with, Mat included, that the Empress has married someone of Randland.

Since Thom was present when Mat and Tuon got married, Thom could identify who the husband is.

I think that Mat's marrital status will be disclosed by one of his men or one of his traveling campagions calling him the Prince of Ravens in front of one of the principles.

I think that Mat's marrital status will be disclosed by one of his men or one of his traveling campagions calling him the Prince of Ravens in front of one of the principles.

That's my thinking also, with the culprit possibly ending up being Talmanes.

Do we know what Mat's title is now that Tuon is the Empress?

Prince of Ravens

Source? I asked in the Simple Question simple answer thread a while ago and the consensus seemed to be that he had got a silent promotion of some sort - I'd find it highly unlikely if it was still Prince of the Ravens.

My idea was King of the Ravens - less than Empress, but most certainly there can be none above him besides her. Others suggested Emperor of the Ravens but I think that implies too much equality with the Empress.

Source? I asked in the Simple Question simple answer thread a while ago and the consensus seemed to be that he had got a silent promotion of some sort - I'd find it highly unlikely if it was still Prince of the Ravens.

Why? Queen Elizabeth's husband is still known as Prince Phillip.

More likely the three AS that were with Matt would grasp the moment into their games!

More likely the three AS that were with Matt would grasp the moment into their games!

the AS would hold onto that information until the time they could get the most influence from it. Talmanes will likely say hello to rand and introduce mat with all his titles like fool noblemen insist upon

Archived