DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Completely Random question about a fantasy series.....need help!!! :)

bjclinton

Okay, so about 4 years ago (maybe 5) i was reading a really good book that had at least 1 or 2 more coming out after it. It was good....that much i remember. What i don't remember however, were some of the specifics about the story line and nothing about the title or author. In large part because my oldest was just born around that time and i was totally sleep deprived.

Anyway, after much deliberation, i decided to post on these forums, because here  i know I'm surrounded by the biggest fans in fantasy around  ;D :

- book started off showing how the 'world' was divided into two areas- 'normal' areas and areas that were almost completely covered in either fog or mist....and the mist line or fog line was expanding out. People were afraid of it- if you went into it, you eventually went mad

- i remember that the people/creatures that lived on the other side of the mist line were thought to be evil, but they were also driven there hundreds and hundreds of years ago and adapted to living in a very different environment that in the light of day. they also had their own creatures there.

- I'm pretty sure they were either immortal or just had very, very long lives because their kind was old as hell....and angry as hell.

- they took a newborn child of theirs and brought him outside of the fog shrouded land and the child was found by a family and raised by them. they knew there was something different about him, but didn't know what it was or that he was even from the other side.....i seem to remember them to be part of a race of gnome type people?

- i also remember that he was given a little rock that he always carried with him, and unbeknown to him, they used that as a way of always being able to find him and track him down- i think i remember that has something to do with a big invasion that took place in the book of which he was the target.

- i remember things really coming together and getting exciting before a crazy ending tying it all up, but the details are totally foggy.

does any of this ring a bell for ANYONE? its driving me crazy!!!

hoping someone will recognize this series and remind me what that first book was called again.

Thanks!

The series is called Shadowmarch. It is by Tad Williams, (another great author), and the series will finish up this year.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

dude, thank you so much......this has been driving me crazy for a WEEK straight.

you're the man.

did you read it? really liked the first book from what i remember. might have to dig it out for a reread

I just finished the third book and the fourth is due out around the same time as ToM. The books are awesome. The first one starts out slow, (like all of Tad's series), but it picks up pace and the second and third are some of his best writing.

Archived