DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who would win?

In a fight between Rand, Perrin, and Mat? Consider their weapons and skills:

Rand: Rand is extremely competent with the sword. He has defeated many men, and almost defeated 5 men at once (LoC). RJ said that Rand would win in a fight between him and Galad, so he must be really good then, ah?

Perrin: Perrin has an axe. And muscles. He can carve his way through Shaido dogs like they weren't even there, and he can chop off a limp with little effort.

Mat: Mat defeated Gawyn and Galad at the same time, while also being extremely weak from his healing from the ruby dagger. And he also did it extremely fast. What would have happened if he was fully recovered? GL forbid we ever find out.

So after examining their skills, I would have to say that, weapons only (no TP), that Mat would win. He has the speed of a swordsman, plus he can bring power with a wide strike of the quarterstaff. He can keep people at a distance, like Rand for instance, and confuse them by attacking with both ends of the staff.

Who do you think would win?

Sorry, but Rand is the stronger ta'veren of the three, and so just that alone would ensure his victory.  However, the Pattern wouldn't let that happen, so I suppose they would all win/lose.

I agree this wouldn't happen.

However if the three did find time for some non-lethal playtime, (and I assume this is before Perrin throws his axe away, Rand losses a hand -although that wouldn't really slow him down much, and Mat goes to Rhuidean -though some people like to give him unfair advantages) I think it would be a VERY close match between Rand and Mat. 

Perrin IS fast but not as fast as the other two, and muscles don't necessarily mean victory.

Rand not only has super sword skills but is also very strong, intelligent, good at reading his opponent, uses the Flame and the Void, has Jedi reflexes, and also has Aiel fighting technique w/ and w/out spears under his belt, and is a Warder so he can take more before going down. 

Mat is also VERY fast, defeated Couldean(that Aiel dude) who has much more Aiel fighting technique than Rand, is shorter then Rand so he might be able to get at Rand's lower body/limbs easier, and I guess he's also good at reading his opponent to have beaten both Gawyn and Galad.

So this would either end in a stalemate, Mat would forfeit from exhaustion, Rand's wounds on his side would start bleeding so would have to stop, Mat pays a woman in the audience to scream to distract Rand, or one would get a lucky shot at the other.

personally I put rand on top, like previously said he has awesome blademaster skills, flame/void, aiel fighting with feet and hands, is patient, can easily recognize forms, also rand knows something of quarterstaffs so he can guess what mat is going to do, and although mat would know quite a bit of the sword due to past lives rand has the purest form of blademastery from LTT

Everybody seems to be forgetting rand only has 1 hand now.

I'd say if Rand did have his hand he'd win. Hes spent the most time practicing with a weapon while Matt and Perrin just learned theirs as they went along. I'd put Matt in second just because I like him more than Perrin.

Everyone also seems to forget that Rand s bonded as a Warder, which doesnt technically count as channeling and I would say it definitely affects his fighting skills because he has greater endurance and can also survive greater wounds. Plus he has the ruthless Sheathe the Sword form to fall back on, which is only a small thing but not many have the will for that. Rand would keep going for longer than the others I think, easily. We havent seen the other two fight blademasters have we?

Mat. He beat Couladin

Why oh why did we not get that offscreen. Couladin was aggressive, I really wanted Rand vs Couladin, and the fact that Mat took him makes me all the more dissapointed that we didnt get it. Was there something about him nopt knowing he had kileld couladin untikl after the fight?

Okay picture this.

Its a bright morning day as the Sun is reaching towards the apex of the sky, sucking the land dry of all water that might have ran through this arid dry place some time ago. To the East and West there was sparse forest while to the South a great valley existed.

As a man named Rand ran with his 11 dedicated Aiel bodyguards through the desert, Perrin and a pack of twenty-four wolves were racing from the East towards the valley to hunt the giant bison that were known to travel through there for water. Unluckily for Mat, he was caught in the valley with only Tuon and her life-long body guard as they frolicked under a tree in the noon of the day.

Perrin was exchanging thoughts with the wolves when the forward wolf sent the image to him. "Men. Masks. Spears." they also sent a thought of great hesitation. Perrin sensed that the wolves had great respect for the man. They wouldn't fight on his side this day if he decided to fight. He decided to turn back West with his pack and find better hunting grounds that were not already taken.

At the same time, Rand and his eleven Aiel were advancing steadily upon the unbeknownest lovers that were cuddling under the tree. Suddenly the dice in Mat's head went rolling, and he jumped up with a curse. "Bloody ashes not again, the Dark one can burn himself, and these bloody dice. Tuon, stand ready.

Rand knew the two were there before he got to the entrance of the valley. He had Namiste scouting ahead and she did her job well. He wondered who this man was that supposubly was just here at this time. The pattern made no mistakes. But how to avoid the situation of violance with Aiel all around him? It was decided.

Just as Mat was preparing his horses to get him and Tuon away from whatever the dice were warning him about, a man of great height came out behind a large boulder. Mat knew that man was not there before, and there was no way for him to have come there any way else. He held his spear with a blade on the end in ready for battle. The dice stopped rolling.

The man was very tall, and Mat took him for a Aiel besides the royal clothing. Bloody lords never were the best people to make bargains with. He was wondering where this man's soldiers or servants were.

"Do not be alarmed, I mean no harm to you if you mean no harm to me. I have ran a great distance here from the three-fold-land because I have felt a great longing. My name is Rand'Al Thor, and I am the Dragon Reborn."

Mat thought to himself how he was going to get out of this pitfall. Bloody ashes! Came all the way from the three-fold land for me? Longing? I did feel a pull towards this valley and it felt like I had no choice... but what does this Aiel want? I minus well make him think im being friendly... he looks like he can use that sword.

Lol that would be their battle.

Mat. He beat Couladin and is a beast.  Rand with two hands might of had a chance.

Of course, Rand need only channel to defeat either.

100% agree with this. When it comes to pure melee Mat is the best. Rand would snuff them both out with the wave of a hand though.

Mat. He beat Couladin and is a beast.  Rand with two hands might of had a chance.

Of course, Rand need only channel to defeat either.

100% agree with this. When it comes to pure melee Mat is the best. Rand would snuff them both out with the wave of a hand though.

I would just like to point out you cant use couladin as a measurement since we do not know how good of a fighter he was, he could have ranged anywhere from weak to very strong

Mat, he beat two blademasters at once, while recovering from a long horrible sickness, plus even with channeling he would still win. Remember when Aran'gar channeled at him? Also, wasn't the best blademaster ever beaten by a farmer with a quarterstaff?

well they could still channel to pick up a giant rock and throw it at him right? it stops direct channeling but not channeled objects from hitting him from what i remember.

RJ said Rand was second best at swords, behind Lan. That means he'd be tough.  I think Perrin's a good fighter, the thing is he goes into the bloodlust, so from a readers point of view, we don't always see how good he really is.  But without channelling, I think Mat, partially because his spear gives him a better reach, and that's important.  Also remeber, while Rand is a massive Ta'varen, it doesn't mean he's invincible.  He can be caught and nearly defeated by non Ta'varen, as was shown at Duami Wells and far Malding, or when fain's attacked him mutliple times. 

Here's a question, which non Aiel is best with knives? Mat? Thom? Faile? Min?  Remeber, Faile's dropped a lot of Trollics with her knives, and they aren't the easiest thing to kill.  Thom, well, we've seen him do a lot with his.  Mat, he's good, but prefers his spear, and who can really blame him?  Min, sadly, seem's a little more showy,  but we've not seen her in a "fair" fight, she's mainly tried to hit Forsaken with her knives... Here's a crazy theory for you: Min's going to kill Fain as he sneaks up on Rand...

Excellent question. Since Thom taught Min what she knew of knives and how to use them I believe, it would be a even match if Thom taught Min well and she managed to get to her full potential. Mat... his skills are not in swords or axes or spears, but it is his Luck that changes the outcome of most of the situations he comes in. So I don't think it would be fair to even include a Ta'varen like Mat.

Faile. She would definately be the best with the knives when it comes to pure skill. If it came to a few tricks and maybe a trip or two, Thom would come out best.

hmm, i think it would be a close call between Mat and Rand. What would affect the outcome more, extra ta'vereness or ta'veren and super Luck?

I would think that since Rand has lost one hand, Mat would win but only by a small margin...

While Mat is my favorite, I probably would have to give it to Rand most of the time.  I think both Mat and Rand have more flat out skill than Perrin, but early on I might have given it to Perrin over Mat too.

It was mentioned early on that Perrin had at least been "practicing" with the axe before they ever left the Two Rivers, though it probably wouldn't mean much.

Rand has practiced and trained pretty regularly since leaving the Two Rivers, and much of that with the best, Lan.  I also think physically Rand has an advantage over Mat in size/reach and probably strength.  Taller fighters who know how to use their height advantage really make it tough on someone smaller than them.  

Mat does have Rand beat in hand speed as attested by Thom.  If Mat is using the ashendari he also gets the reach advantage there.  It has been mentioned that Mat has always had luck, but it only after the dagger did his luck go to the levels it is at now.  So I guess his luck combined with his skill and weapon could help him win a some matches against Rand.

In the end I just think that Rand has the most skill with his particular weapon of choice, since he trains the hardest with it.

As far as Mat beating Gawyn and Galad, I do have to point out that Gawyn and Galad were not really taking it too serious at first, and Mat took Gawyn out really quickly so it was mostly a one on one.  Still he did beat them both and he was fresh out of a sick bed.  I'd love to see him take Gawyn out again.  Unfortunately that loser will probably never get taken down a peg again.

Best knife fighter I would give to Mat.  While Thom is more expirienced, he has the limp and age on him.  Mat is  younger, faster, very accurate as evidenced by his gambling/knife throwing compitition in the Waste.  We also know his speed has enabled him to catch a knife thrown by the gholam.  His luck could play again, and he is just stronger and faster than either Faile or Min.  Mat did take 6 or 8 swordsmen with his knives.

Id have to say Perrin.

Yes, Mat beat Couladin, yes Mat beat the 2 best Warder students after being massively Healed. But Perrin has fought against massed Trolloc attacks, stood against a horde of shaido the number of which would make Mat quietly sneak away to change his underwear. This is without luck, or channelling, this is pure guts, muscle and instinct.

While i think Mat would beat either Perrin or Rand in a 1 on 1 fight and Rand would beat Perrin, if i was in a punch on/ full scale battle, id want Perrin next to me. Hes just a cool fighter, how he rages and trollocs even get scared of him, plus his rescuing Fail in KoD, that fight scene was so realistically described, adrenalin pumping, then blood on fire and just pure adrenalin, its the best feeling and it would be cool as havin a massive half wolf next to you

In a fight between Rand, Perrin, and Mat? Consider their weapons and skills:

Rand: Rand is extremely competent with the sword. He has defeated many men, and almost defeated 5 men at once (LoC). RJ said that Rand would win in a fight between him and Galad, so he must be really good then, ah?

Perrin: Perrin has an axe. And muscles. He can carve his way through Shaido dogs like they weren't even there, and he can chop off a limp with little effort.

Mat: Mat defeated Gawyn and Galad at the same time, while also being extremely weak from his healing from the ruby dagger. And he also did it extremely fast. What would have happened if he was fully recovered? GL forbid we ever find out.

So after examining their skills, I would have to say that, weapons only (no TP), that Mat would win. He has the speed of a swordsman, plus he can bring power with a wide strike of the quarterstaff. He can keep people at a distance, like Rand for instance, and confuse them by attacking with both ends of the staff.

Who do you think would win?

Taveren-ness and OP aside, Mat would win.

Perrin's out. His fighting style, if you can call it that, is far better suited for the chaos of battle than it is for the focus of a duel - call it th e'pack hunter' mentality.

Rand may be the best swordsman in Randland at the moment, and if not is certainly worthy of consideration in the top 10. Others who might be included would be Galad and Gawyn, and Matt defeated them both. At the same time. He did it when he probably shouldn't have been out of bed and with a stick no less, rather than the Ashenderi, and he did it long, long before he gained the memories of a thousand warlords or the experience of fighting Aeil, Seanchan, the 'finns, dark friends or anyone else who came along.

Sure, Rand can balefire him out of existence and make him dance on ta'veren strings... but in a duel, I'd have to go with Mat.

All else being equal, definitely Mat.

Although Gawyn and Galad would prob be harder beat now- they've got real experience now, on top of all that warder training, and Rand and Perrin are also proper experienced fighters now, Mat's smaller and fast, and has centuries of memories of using weapons. Even Rand wouldn't have that- I'm sure LTT would have always defaulted to channeling, and they didn't even know what war was when he was a young lad.

i agree with Hand of the creator

its as Hammar says.

who was the greatest blade master of all time? 'Jearom'

over 10,000 combats

who defeated him? a farmer with a quarterstaff.

Mat is considerably better than a farmer with a quarterstaff

i agree with Hand of the creator

its as Hammar says.

who was the greatest blade master of all time? 'Jearom'

over 10,000 combats

who defeated him? a farmer with a quarterstaff.

Mat is considerably better than a farmer with a quarterstaff

eh with Jearom he could have underestimated the farmer and got a quick defeat

Archived