DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Must-read chapters

torrente

Hi.

I am about to re-read the WOT, but since I don't have a spare 9 months, I really just want to read some pretty essential parts.

I will take nominations for which Chapters I should most definitely read, from Books 4-12 please.

Hopefully this thread will be helpful for all.

Thanks.

And the one in -Tanchico, is it?- where Elayne and Nyn find the Kin and get chased bullied etc. Too annoying to reread.

yep, none of Perrin's after Winter's Heart, I think.

Kinda sad to be chopping the books up like this tho! Why not just kinda skim?

Have you reread the often? I've done it so often now, that I'm just reading from 9 up before TOM comes out. I think I've done all the others 10+ times. Obv, I've only read TGS about 3-4 times, so that could prob do with a brush up.

Ok, maybe I have a wee problem...

It depends what you want to achieve by rereading the series. If your in a rush and your willing to skip parts, it doesnt seem like your rereading for enjoyment. If you just want to refresh your memory, just read the chaptes summaries online. I would recomend reading KoD in full, because there are quite a few threads that werent mentioned in tGS that will be picked up in ToM, like elayne, mat and tuon, galad, perrin, loial, lan, the seanchan, and probably a couple more threads that will continue on from KoD to Tom.

Book 6: Dumai's Wells.  Always gives me shivers.

Book 12: The attack on the white tower.  Egwene being awesome.

Forget which book:  The law of war.  Again Egwene being awesome.  (I know a lot of people have it out for her but she's still one of the most dynamic characters in the book.)

Book 11:  The Golden Crane. Nynaeve gathering an army for Lan.  Always get kinda choked up..."The Golden Crane flies for Tarmon Gai'don!"

And so many others!  :)

Pick a character and read their chapters only.

You'll have to use the online guide to figure out what chapters they're in.

For example Read all of Mat's chapters, but not just his POV chapters.

Read all of the chapters he's in.

If you want a really interesting read, Read through the series backwards.

I disagree that the Tor.com re-read blog is a better/faster way to go.  Leigh is wordier than Jordan sometimes.  I think it's better to just read the actual chapters, than her overly wordy descriptions of said chapters.

Anyway, whenever you come to a chapter that seems a bit boring, just go to encyclopaedia-wot.org and read the summary.

That, to me, is the best way to go, and you get all the necessary information, as well as footnotes with "resolutions" and/or answers conveniently placed on the same page as the chapter summary.

Hmmm, there's too many important chapters in the series to single only a few of them out.  If you truly want to do a fast re-read of the entire series, then I would skim through the parts of TPOD where the Aes Sedai are squabbling with the Windfinders and the Kin before they finally decide to use the Bowl of the Winds.  You can definitely skim through most of CoT.

As another poster indicated earlier, you should definitely re-read KoD, since a lot of those plots will be picked up in ToM.

I started re-reading the series in late May (starting with the Big White Book and New Spring before the series proper).  I'm halfway through Shadow Rising, so I have to do some speed reading soon if I want to finish the series before November 2nd!

Archived