DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Min's Place on the List

Vassili

It's in Chapter 29 of The Gathering Storm, "Into Bandar Eban."

But Lews Therin had one more name to add. Elmindreda Farshaw, he whispered.

Rand pulled Tai'daishar up short, stopping his column of Aiel, Saldaean cavalry, and camp attendants in the middle of the street. Dobraine turned back questioningly on his white stallion.

I did not kill her! Rand thought. Lews Therin, she lives on. We didn't kill her! That was Semirhage who was to blame, in any case.

Silence. He could still feel his fingers on her flesh, squeezing, impotent yet incredibly strong. Even if Semirhage had been behind the actions, Rand was the one who had been too weak to send Min away and protect her.

The reason he puts her name on the list is because he feels so guilty for what he did to her, a woman he loved and most wanted to protect. She didn't die, but the Lews Therin side of him sees no difference. What he did was so much like what Lews had done to Ilyena, that that part of him puts her on the list out of grief for what he'd done, guilt for not protecting her as he should have, and fear that he could do it again.

Did Rand in fact learn her full name at any point we could see?

oooh, good point there. We don't even learn her last name until ACoS ch 33 ::) I don't recall Rand ever meeting up with anyone that would have known her as Elmindreda (from her time in Tar Valon).  I doubt she would have told him that name.  Did we know for sure at any point before TGS ch 29 that it was her real name?

Another oddity, TDR Chapter 2:

She had told him; she had tried warning people about bad things

when, at six or seven, she had first realized not everyone could see what

she saw. She would not say more, but he had the impression that her

warnings had only made matters worse, when they were believed at all.

It took some doing to believe in Min’s viewings until you had proof.

ACoS

“You can’t know what that’s like, Perrin. I was twelve when it started, and I didn’t know to make a secret of it. Everybody thought I was just making things up.

Both scenes involving Perrin.  Mistake or, I'm not sure how to reconcile that not being a lie or a goof.  The first POV is Min's not anyone elses.

Did Rand in fact learn her full name at any point we could see?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that the couple who has been sleeping together for 6 books or so probably know each other by their full names.

This would require somewhat unguarded communication between people of opposite sexes.  The only time this has ever happened is when Mat and Birgitte went out and drank their fill in Ebou Dar, and that happened off screen.  (I'd pay a pretty penny to hear that conversation btw)  Even then Mat didn't mention stuff like that BA and Forsaken, but that's just good sense in a crowded common room.

It's in Chapter 29 of The Gathering Storm, "Into Bandar Eban."

The reason he puts her name on the list is because he feels so guilty for what he did to her, a woman he loved and most wanted to protect. She didn't die, but the Lews Therin side of him sees no difference. What he did was so much like what Lews had done to Ilyena, that that part of him puts her on the list out of grief for what he'd done, guilt for not protecting her as he should have, and fear that he could do it again.

This.

Cannot be said any better.

But Rand knowing the name of "Elmindreda" is a good question. When Min reaches Tar Varlon, doesn't she say to Elaida that no one knows that name?

Yeah, but she's thrown her heart down the well for him. She could have told him. Or Avi or one of the WO's could have let it slip - Melaine after the viewing about her babies, for example- given their penchant for calling people by their full names.

Gaah, just realised Avi calls her Min Farshaw in her own head.

Yeah she prob told him herself.

Archived