DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Mat's Ashandari (potentially stupid question)

Doselan

I'm re-reading book 4, and I just got to the part where mat was cut from the tree and has his Ashandari, and it raised an old question in my mind... Why did the foxy folks give it to him?  He asked for 1) A way out, 2) A way to be free of the Aes Sedai, and 3) Memories to fill in the holes in his own.  Well he got the way out, he got the foxhead medallion, and he got dead guys' memories.  Where did the blasted Ashandari come from? 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For real?  Why not hang him on the tree limbs?

Because they couldn't (or wouldn't) leave their realm to physically tie him to the tree.  

Remember, when he goes through the door in Tear, they carried him back and threw him out.  I'm assuming, that they tied him to the Ashandarei and just threw him out.  He just happened to land in the tree.  

For real?  Why not hang him on the tree limbs?

Because they couldn't (or wouldn't) leave their realm to physically tie him to the tree.  

Remember, when he goes through the door in Tear, they carried him back and threw him out.  I'm assuming, that they tied him to the Ashandarei and just threw him out.  He just happened to land in the tree.  

10-4.  :D  This is a very informative part of the boards. :o 

And yeah Nae... Bad spelling.  Probably should have looked it up first. >.<  lol

Yeao, I am with the last two posters.

It is personally given to him, as it has the inscription to remind him, it has the Ravens on it. It is an artifact form the AoL.

Theres no coincidence there.

Really, they just got rid of it to hang him?

This is RJ, not a 12 year old.

I'd say Aludra will provide the makings of the Fire - you're not lying (technically) in saying you've no fires about your person, with a box of matches in your pocket. The music thing confuses me. How could they stop someone singing in there? I grant they could frisk you to remove your harp and what not, but your voice?

Oh yeah, you know he will. :D  Thom is a sneaky little fella. 

And as far as Iron goes?  I'm sure they can all work up a few Iron Weapons.  Though the line "Iron to Bind" makes me wonder if they should have iron weapons or iron handcuffs.  lol

I'm not sure.  They've never really searched anybody that's come through the doorframes (That I've noticed), they usually just ask, "Do you have any fire, iron, or insturments for making music" or something to that effect.  However in asking them, they could be causing them to think of whether or not they do, and reading their thoughts.  I'm pretty confident that the Finns have some sort of ability to read thoughts.

Mat considers the ashanderai as their joke. It was inscribed with the message for him and he was hanged by it. I don't think it was selected at random, but it might have been a weapon suited to Mat specifically from those memories (he does know how to use it). It would be like them hanging Birgitte from her bow. I believe that this is all it is.

One thing to consider about his ashanderai is that while it's from the Age of Legends, none of the memories that were given to him are from that time. I think it's just a weapon suited to him, the same way he is the "Son of Battles", "Gambler" and "Trickster." I imagine there's quite a lot we don't know or only think we know that we'll learn in the next two books and outriggers.

I also don't think "iron to bind" refers specifically to the metal iron. We'll see in November!

Archived