DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

RJ's "simple answer, wrong question" statement.

Bowden

I know I read somewhere in these forums that RJ said that if the answer seemed too straight forward, the you were asking the wrong question. Of course, now I can't find it to quote it directly...

Anyway, in light of this I started thinking, how many AS type answers has RJ given that no one's ever caught on to? For example; "Olver is not Gaidal Cain." Exactly, Olver is Olver. He didn't say Olver wasn't Gaidal Cain reborn. (As far as I know anyway, I can't find anything I want today and I've been looking for like an hour >.> )

I'd like to expand on this, but seeings how I don't have the facts on what RJ said, I'll stop here for now. Is there a place that has all the RJ Q&A's together?

Ok, after doing some research on RJ's answers focused mainly on Olver and Taim, I'm squashing my own theory on this.

Though regardless of the facts I still have the feeling that RJ used AS trickery on us :P

Don't forget Anaiya. It's mentioned several times, once by Moiraine

in Fal Dara, that it's surprising how well Anaiya does in tower politics,

seeing how honest she is. Mo concludes that people will naturally assume

there's more going on than meets the eye, will naturally assume she is as

devious as themselves.

Perrin also- Alliandre assumes he is a very skilled player of Daes Dae Mar,

when he is really only being blunt and honest.

Robert Jordan Answers: Yes. Demandred has never posed as Mazrim Taim. All right, those of who fell over from the shock of a simple, straightforward answer can get up off the floor now. Sometimes, simple and straightforward can be the most devious of all, as any student of Aes Sedai will tell you. <Maniacal laughter from the shadows!>

exactly lol

Ok, after doing some research on RJ's answers focused mainly on Olver and Taim, I'm squashing my own theory on this.

Though regardless of the facts I still have the feeling that RJ used AS trickery on us :P

Not to mention that Gaidal Cain would not be 9 years old, regardless of how time is twisted in Tel'aran'rhiod, as 9 years have not passed in the real world since he was rewoven into the pattern.

Not to mention that Gaidal Cain would not be 9 years old, regardless of how time is twisted in Tel'aran'rhiod, as 9 years have not passed in the real world since he was rewoven into the pattern.

But there are certain places that are sped up, or distorted, like in tGS the crazy village with the immortals. If he was reborn into a distortion it is entirely possible for Olver to be Cain.(reborn)

• 2 weeks later...

But there are certain places that are sped up, or distorted, like in tGS the crazy village with the immortals. If he was reborn into a distortion it is entirely possible for Olver to be Cain.(reborn)

I remember somewhere that RJ said he had contemplated with the idea of having a character meet themselves in one of the possible future reflection worlds. It would be possible for someone to use a Portal Stone or whatever it was to go to a 9 years ahead world, pick Olver/Gaidal reborn up, and bring him back to the present world with the Snakes and Foxes game, but I would rather believe RJs word when he said Olver was not Gaidal. Theres no reason to think he wouldnt have said RAFO if it was something he wanted us to wonder about, but he answered with Olver is not Gaidal, that was enough for me.

Although I definitely think he has given some very sly Aes Sedai answers:

Q: Why do you think people cant figure out who killed Asmo? Graendal did it.

A: I dont know why people cant figure that out.

That answer, when you think of what he created with the Aes Sedai Three Oath thing, means NOTHING, he was referring to the question the person asked, not the seperate statement they made after asking the question. Just like an Aes Sedai can get around the Oath by disecting the literal words of someone else and giving an answer to something completely different, which passes the Oath and still misleads someone.

Basically every question RJ and BS have answered is here:

http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=372

It's ordered by topic, and you can search inside the documents using ctrl+F

This is unrelated, but someone asked Brandon this:

Roga: Does Elayne know that Alanna bonded Rand?

Sanderson: Uh...well... I'll have to check that. MAFO. Good question.

Doesn't Rand reveal it to the three of them in A Lily in Winter in WH, and she's like "How dare Alanna" and Avi pulls out her knives? This was asked to Brandon, not RJ, so it must be post-KoD.

Basically every question RJ and BS have answered is here:

http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=372

It's ordered by topic, and you can search inside the documents using ctrl+F

This is unrelated, but someone asked Brandon this:

Roga: Does Elayne know that Alanna bonded Rand?

Sanderson: Uh...well... I'll have to check that. MAFO. Good question.

Doesn't Rand reveal it to the three of them in A Lily in Winter in WH, and she's like "How dare Alanna" and Avi pulls out her knives? This was asked to Brandon, not RJ, so it must be post-KoD.

Maria answered the same--it's in the MAFO thread.

Archived