DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Is Taim capable of using the True Power?

I thought this quote from Winters Heart was suspiciously, no in fact it was absolutely the same way Rand was described by others when holding the TP;

"a physically powerful man who moved somewhat with something of a warders deadly grace, but shadows seemed to follow him, as if half the lamps in the room had gone out; not real shadows, but an air of imminent violence that seemed palpable enough to soak up light."

~ Winters Heart, Taims audience with Elayne

not real shadows, but an air of imminent violence that seemed palpable enough to soak up light.

based on that quote, no.

It is completely different from what Rand experiences.

it is, as it says,  NOT REAL SHADOWS, just the air of violence. Rands was actually a dark aura.

Besides, the TP was not the only thing that caused Rand's black aura. It was a mixture of other things, the TP doesnt exclusivly produce dark auras around everyone who channels it. IN fact, Rand is the only one that the Dark aura surronds, and he only used it once.

So no, basing the argument on that.

However, I doubt anyone could say for sure if Taim can use the True Power, there is no indication that he can, no indication that he cant, theres just not enough evidence

Only Morridin use it

In general, thats true, we have only seen Moridin use it.

But all of the Forsaken have access to it, even though we havent seen them use it.

Yes, the Forsaken are afraid of using TP and only do it when they have no other choice. But now, only Moridin can. As the Nae'Blis, he now is the only one who has access. The other Forsaken can't anymore. Till Moridin's death and a new appointment to Nae'Blisness.

But I think Taim used the TP at least once, when he got free of the Aed Sedai who captured him. Shilded and in cage, he couldn't escape normally. Siuan say that his follower freed him, but I find it unlikely, as we don't see them appear in Caemlyn, which is strange. Why would Taim leave them behind?

So I think he was alone. And TruePowered himself a way out.

There is a theory that Moridin is Taim.

And someone raised your theory on Twitter, and Brandon responded.

HBFFerreira: @BrandonSandrson I'm re-reading the series, and just started WH. The effect was awfully familiar to Rand's. Not a coincidence, I guess. :-)

BrandonSandrson: @HBFFerreira Yeah, surprises just like that... ;)

HBFFerreira: @BrandonSandrson Thanks! TGS: Rand's dark aura was an effect of channeling TP, right? WH, prologue: didn't Taim cast a similar aura?

about 11 hours later via web · Reply · View Tweet

HBFFerreira: @BrandonSandrson "... shadows seemed to follow him, as if half the lamps in the room had gone out. Not real shadows, but..." So... RAFO? :-)

BrandonSandrson: @HBFFerreira RAFO, though that is the best theory I read before I became involved in this. It's very credible.

Note: the search function orders the Tweets strangely, but I've reconstructed it as well as I can

not real shadows, but an air of imminent violence that seemed palpable enough to soak up light.

based on that quote, no.

It is completely different from what Rand experiences.

it is, as it says,  NOT REAL SHADOWS, just the air of violence. Rands was actually a dark aura.

Besides, the TP was not the only thing that caused Rand's black aura. It was a mixture of other things, the TP doesnt exclusivly produce dark auras around everyone who channels it. IN fact, Rand is the only one that the Dark aura surronds, and he only used it once.

So no, basing the argument on that.

However, I doubt anyone could say for sure if Taim can use the True Power, there is no indication that he can, no indication that he cant, theres just not enough evidence

Read the most recent book where Rand takes control of the TP to break free. The TP is described as;

"a thousand times more violent"

TP use causes a dark and violent aura to surround you. Which is what we saw with Rand, I also don't believe Rand only used it once. He seemed to take comfort in it, I think every time we see someone mentioning Rand being surrounded by a dark aura he is holding the TP.

Didn't demandred or was it graendal in his/her pov say that the right to use TP is now Morridin's alone?

And Morridin hardly needs to use TP to eminate a dark aura anyways.

I'm just wondering if it's something more than TP use.  Brandon could have just been agreeing that they had dark auras.  And so asking if our chief known TP user Moridin shows this same dark aura would help in understanding better.

Only Moridin can use the TP. I believe Rand's link with Moridin, as well as the GL allowed Rand to touch it. It was this, as well as "the last thing that could be done" that pushed Rand over the edge. His dark aura was because of his state, almost as bad as Moridin basically.

I believe that Taim was freed by Ishmael or one of the Forsaken, or even SH, and forced(?) into service. He is probably the most powerful Dreadlord.

Only Moridin can use the TP. I believe Rand's link with Moridin, as well as the GL allowed Rand to touch it. It was this, as well as "the last thing that could be done" that pushed Rand over the edge. His dark aura was because of his state, almost as bad as Moridin basically.

I believe that Taim was freed by Ishmael or one of the Forsaken, or even SH, and forced(?) into service. He is probably the most powerful Dreadlord.

What do you think is with the dark aura around Taim, and the quote from Brandon about it in regards to Rand's dark aura?

If it's caused by their state, then maybe every channeler emits dark auras when being evil?  Dunno if that's plausible.

What do you think is with the dark aura around Taim, and the quote from Brandon about it in regards to Rand's dark aura?

If it's caused by their state, then maybe every channeler emits dark auras when being evil?  Dunno if that's plausible.

I thought that was an active weave to make the air seem heavier in his presence in order to intimidate.

I believe that the GL is trying to destroy Rand spiritually. He lets him use the TP (intentionally or un) and he "lets the Lord of Choas rule".

Rand's aura is because of just how dark he's become. This is what Cadsuane fears. She says "his victory may be as dark as his defeat". What would have happen if Rand had tried to save the world, being almost as dark as one of the Forsaken. Remember how heartless he had become? He considered raining fire down on the Borderland armies, to teach them "a lesson".

One someone becomes as dark as Rand had, I would expect to see that aura around them anyway. It may have been the Pattern grieving around him..

The Gathering Storm Book Tour, Dallas Borders 14 November 2009 - Aubrey Pham reporting

The black/dark aura around Rand is partially, but not entirely, an effect of True Power usage.4   There will be consequences from Rand's True Power use.

"Not entirely". What else?

Hmnm... could it also partly be because he is also ta'veren?

People who can see ta'veren can see a glow around them. Perhaps the TP took that and twisted it into something everyone could see at times?

I was thinking this, but Logain can see ta'veren and I don't think he remarked about it.  Of course since the Pattern can turn people ta'veren at will that isn't much evidence.

Edit: Oh I thought you were talking about Taim, my bad.

I don't think Moridin has ever had the aura.  As Ishy he did have the black aura and shadows that were more physical.  Ishy was awesome though. The fire in his eyes and mouth, floating, dark auras, black of black shadows and black DBZ ball attacks lol. 

Rand went into that dark void to gain access to the True Power and remained in the void most of the book.  I always assumed that was the nature of his dark aura because of the emotionless of that void.

Archived