DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

My Hello Essay

HornOfValere

Hi all! :)

I'm not sure how much I should write about myself, so I'll try to keep it short!

I met my partner nearly four years ago, and he introduced me to the books. He had the first four I think, and I ate them up in no time, then tried to get the others. I finished The Gathering Storm two days ago, which inspired me to find a community where I could discuss the books, since my partner is so far behind in reading, I'll just most likely ruin it for him! ;D

I love fantasy and magic and swords and I love trying new books, so I'm really glad this series was dropped into my lap. I love all of it, even if I do think that all of the women and all of the men conform to this stereotype that Jordan created that is unacceptable. I just don't accept their behaviours towards each other. Not all men are wool headed fools (one of my favourite sayings, along with 'fish guts' and 'silverpike'! :D) and not all women are difficult and hard to read.

Initially it wound me up that there were so many threads and I panicked that I wouldn't keep up with them all, but it's surprisingly easy to pick up where someone left off! On impulse this morning I picked up Eye of the World and read the ending.

I love how the characters have grown into completely different people than the Two Rivers folk they were.

Few characters annoy me, but among them are Perrin's wife Faile, and the woman that Egwene has become. I find Aes Sedai annoying anyway, the way they try to dominate any woman who channels and their ridiculous treatment of each other.

Then there are the characters I love. Mat has always been my favourite, he’s funny and mischievious adn his time with the dagger made me sad. I love the man he’s become, even if he does whinge about woman and ‘married’ the horrible creature called Tuon.

I have alot of time for Rand, and compared to the sweet young man at the end of Eye of the World, and his oath that he would rather lose his hand than use the One Power again (ironic), he is a powerful man who has somehow lost his way.

Moiraine also grew on me, and I can’t believe I’ve had to wait one and a half books for Mat to do anything. I’m so looking forward to the Tower!

There are so many other characters who are amazing and well written, and I’m so pleased that a series of books has kept me so enthralled and excited for so long. Robert Jordan is a legend and I’m sad that he isn’t around to finish it, but having just finished The Gathering Storm, I’m so pleased that the estate have found a worthy successor in Brandon Sanderson.

So sorry for my mini essay, but I hope to have some good times here!  8)

Welcome to DM! :)

Please don't join the Band of the Red Hand Social Group! Your username would drive me crazy, as it is very close to my Executive Officer's handle!  :P

Archived