DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Will the Aiel abandon Rand?

As usual, forgive my lack of detail or ability to cite applicable references.  That's where you seasoned members with your remarkable ability to recall information save the day!  ;D

It seems like Rand doesn't want to put the Maidens in danger (if only because they're women) even though the Maidens want to guard him -- and they have good reasons, too.  He has gone behind their backs more than a few times, much to their dismay and have expressed their anger and frustration to him because of it.

Add that to Rand insulting the Aiel by 'using' them as well as his disregard for their customs and abuses/misinterprets his role as Car'a'carn. It seems like he dismisses the Aiel and just 'expects' them to be at his beck and call since they are The People of the Dragon.  The Aiel are following him all over the land, doing as told but not appreciated in return, you know? <<< Ok, here's where my apologies for not being specific come in.

If I remember correctly, didn't some of the Maidens say to him at one point that they might very well leave him and haven't other Aiel spoken out loud about their consideration in returning to the Three Fold Land?

So I wonder, do you think the Aiel will come to a point where they've had enough and desert Rand at a time when he will need them most?  I imagine him turning around only to find that the Aiel are just... gone.  Of course, if they deserted him like that, I definitely see them coming back somehow and saving the moment.

Whatcha think?

I get a bad feeling everytime i read the interaction between rand and the aiel, he just uses them and doesnt respect them. That may change as of VoG, ill RAFO. No matter what though the aiel will be at the Last Battle to spit in the dark ones eye on the last day.

Yeah, I think Rand's changed for the better now and he'll handle the Aiel better because of it. If we get a point of view from him in Towers of Midnight then we'll be able to say for sure. I do think he will return to using the maidens as a bodyguard and try to keep them out of harm's way. That might cause some trouble with them.

Also, I misread this thread's title and thought it was asking if they'd leave him in the Ways. I can see them sitting outside all the Waygates laughing while waiting for Rand to run through one chased by the Black Wind.

''Will The Aiel Abandon Rand?''

I think this is a great - and very valid - question.

I think it could be. Very well.

We have to remember: The Aiel don't care two coppers about ''The Dragon Reborn''

All they care about is The Car'acarn - and they see the bond as much more of an 'agreement' ... if they don't feel like he is respecting that agreement (And he HAS ticked them off several times now)...

Who knows...

Scary to think about though, imo - thats for darn sure.

Fish

I can't see that happening post-TGS. post-Moiraine it will be even less likely.

The problem with the Aiel abandoning him is that they can't deny he is the car'a'carn (we've already had that plotline), and although a car'a'carn is only first among equals, post-TGS I think it likely that he will start listening to them again.

If anyone abandons Rand it is most likely to be the Sea Folk - Rand is likely to break the Bargain at some point, if only because some parts are really unrealistic. Suppose a wavemistress calls for Rand right as he's about to march of the TG.

I've always thought that if the Aiel abandon Rand (and essentially everyone) it would be going back to the way of the leaf.

I don't think they (as an entire group) will, but I think that would be the only route. And that wouldn't really be abandonment anyway.

Would be funny if Rand comes down from the mountain a complete pacifist... "No, I will not kill the Dark One, he's just misunderstood"  ;D

Incidentally, as others have thought, the last might actually be true. A cyclical timeline might be considered 'order' because the same thing keeps happening.

A linear (new) timeline caused by the end of the Dark One, where the future is COMPLETELY unknown might be considered chaotic.

Archived