DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Probably a dumb question...

So forgive me is this seems dim, but I don't have my books with me and its been a very long time since I read the EotW prologue...

Now, as I recall, the prologue was Lews Therin in the last hour or so of his life, wandering the halls of his home, surrounded by the family that the saidin-tainted madness had caused him to slay. During the prologue one of the Forsaken were there taunting him - either Ishy or Demandred I believe - and once LT realized what he had done, he drew on the OP, so much so that he created dragonmount in his suicide.

My question is this - shouldn't that Forsaken have been bound with the DO in Shayol Ghul? I get the impression that this event took place pretty soon after the sealing of the Bore, way too soon for the seals to already have been weakening...

Ishamael was only partiallly bound. He was able to escape at various intervals and caused havoc in doing so, such as creating the Black Ajah, organising the Trolloc Wars and becoming Hawkwings advisor that eventually led to the Hundred Year war.

Wasn't Lews Therin's place pretty much covered in dusk and falling to pieces. It could of been a while after the sealing of the bore.

It was falling apart because he had just let loose his powers and killed his wife and did a lot of damage, not because of the passage of time.

Some believe Ishamael was only partially bound due to his "less-than-half-human" state due to excessive True Power usage.

really? I always assumed it was a proximity thing.. like Ishamael was further away. However now that i think about it that doesn't make a lot of sense since technically the bore is everywhere.

Yeh he was only partialy bound, he was freed and trapped at 40 year intervals, so he would be free for 40 years, then trapped for 40 years

It was actually 40 years of freedom every thousand years or so.  He had sometime to cause problems during the breaking, but I doubt many noticed, but we do have evidence that some did mainly from Rand's trip through the glass columns in Rhuibidean.

A thousand years later he started the Trolloc Wars.

A thousand years later he manipulated Hawking.

A thousand years later he took command of the Black Ajah and began the final preparations for Rand.

Yeh he was only partialy bound, he was freed and trapped at 40 year intervals, so he would be free for 40 years, then trapped for 40 years

It was actually 40 years of freedom every thousand years or so.  He had sometime to cause problems during the breaking, but I doubt many noticed, but we do have evidence that some did mainly from Rand's trip through the glass columns in Rhuibidean.

A thousand years later he took command of the Black Ajah and began the final preparations for Rand.

Is this widely accepted as "fact"?

Confirmed by RJ or Brandon?

Not attacking what you said, just asking.

Its written in the Guide and based on a few things Ishamael states throughout the series it fits.

he's right, although i'm not sure he's completely right about the timings. it wasn't that precise. this can help a bit http://encyclopaedia-wot.org/characters/i/ishamael.html

he's right, although i'm not sure he's completely right about the timings. it wasn't that precise. this can help a bit http://encyclopaedia-wot.org/characters/i/ishamael.html

The thousand years are approximations.

Soooo... how was he out and around to taunt LTT? Surely at that point 1000 years hadn't passed since the sealing, right?

Yeah, ImpBo - That was Ishy.

I always thought that piece in TEOTW Prologue was sorta beautifully written. Also sorta deep. Shows us how powerful Grief can be. Who knows how long Lews Therin had been wandering around all crazied-up...Ishy only Saned him so that he could see the dead bodies of his loved ones and understand what he had done. This led to the Rage that was necessary to create Dragonmount...In alot of ways, LTT (and Rand) has been the very epitome of emotional extremes throughout the series.

Just my thoughts.

Fish

Yeah, ImpBo - That was Ishy.

I always thought that piece in TEOTW Prologue was sorta beautifully written. Also sorta deep. Shows us how powerful Grief can be. Who knows how long Lews Therin had been wandering around all crazied-up...Ishy only Saned him so that he could see the dead bodies of his loved ones and understand what he had done. This led to the Rage that was necessary to create Dragonmount...In alot of ways, LTT (and Rand) has been the very epitome of emotional extremes throughout the series.

Just my thoughts.

Fish

I loved the prologue and still do...

... but what was Ishy doing there???

@ Impressive bossom

He probably was sent there somehow by the Pattern to make events  go as they went to enabme Rand's birth on Dragonmount... Well, just a thought.

If you were Ishy, what would you do? Your opponent is suffering from the counter-attack of his Master. LTT is insane, and Ishy is only partially bound. As he was in his first 40-year-lasting-freedom-moment-of-the-millenium, he had time for LTT to go insane and taunt him. And also try to work on LTT's grieve to turn him to the shadow. But I think he served the Pattern...

Yeah, Lews Therin in all his glory seals the Dark One and traps 13 of the forsaken along with him. It could be seen as a crushing victory despite the taint. The male channelers all slowly go mad and then right at the very end after Lews Therin destroys everything he loved in his madness Ishamael makes his appearance and gives Lews Therin temporary sanity. So before he dies, Lews Therin not only sees what he's done but will believe it was all for nothing because the forsaken are free.

If all he knew was from that one sighting of Ishamael, he might have believed the seals didn't hold at all and he was an utter failure.

Archived