DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Aviendah's Travelling

Lambada

So way back in tFoH Aviendah instinctively travels to Seanchan to try and get away from Rand.

We know Travelling requires you to know where you currently are extremely well.

The problem is Aviendah couldn't know the room well enough to do that. They hadn't stayed in that room before, and there has been no obvious chance for her to channel enough to get to know the place.

So how did she do it?

Perhaps her instinctive weave doesn't require you to know your departing place well...

The question i have about Avi traveling skills is why isnt she good at it. She was the first saidar user, and i think the first person we see, to use a gateway. however in the later book PoD i think she has problems opening gates ways. Why is that. she is just as strong as Elayne and Egwene.

About traveling from a place you do not know. i remember reading it in the books someone explaining it, dont remember tho book tho.

The question i have about Avi traveling skills is why isnt she good at it. She was the first saidar user, and i think the first person we see, to use a gateway. however in the later book PoD i think she has problems opening gates ways. Why is that. she is just as strong as Elayne and Egwene.

About traveling from a place you do not know. i remember reading it in the books someone explaining it, dont remember tho book tho.

The weave Aviendah uses for the first time is different from the one performed later as she can't remember how she did it initally. And any weave performed differently from how first done is always weaker - Encyclopedia-wot calls it the second-learned weave limitation.

I can't remember that at all you see, so a source would be helpful regarding Traveling when you don't know the place.

It all depends on what you mean by 'extremely well'. She might have spent several hours in that room before Rand walked in on her, and if she held sai'dar for some of that time, it's plausible that she was familiar enough with the room to Travel from it.

It all depends on what you mean by 'extremely well'. She might have spent several hours in that room before Rand walked in on her, and if she held sai'dar for some of that time, it's plausible that she was familiar enough with the room to Travel from it.

While it does take several hours of holding Saidar to know a place well enough, and she did have the opportunity, I can't see why. What reason could she have to channel constantly for several hours in Rands room?

I don't know, warming the water? Listening to what is going on outside so that nobody will walk in on her (probably not, ah?)?

Whatever the reason would need to be done for several hours... I can't see her taking that long to warm the water.

remember, this was done in a time of great stress. she needed to escape from Rand immediately.

when stressed, anything is possible

Stress explains the fact that she could weave a gateway, but not why she knew the room well enough for the gateway to work.

Actually, Rand was the first to accomplish a form of Traveling back in The Eye of the World when he faced Aginor.  He knew neither his starting point nor his destination very well either.

That was also a case of extreme stress and though it involved no recognizable Gateway, he did go to Tarwin's Gap, fight Ba'alzamon, and destroy the Trolloc Army before returning.  All with no conscious choice of destination for any of those movements.

Chalk it all up to the Momentous Mystery Magic only primary characters can do.

That would explain it, but I don't recall ever reading that anywhere. Do you have a source for that?

I believe that it is LoC when Perrin and Taim reached Rand at Dummi Wells.  Not sure about that though.  The quote is something like "We will have to wait hours before anyone knows this place well enough to open a gateway with any certainty as to where it will go."

I think Elayne said something similar when they fled the Seanchan at the beginning of ACoS.

The second-learned weave limitation explain the fact that Aviendha can't Travel as well as she did when fleeing Rand in tFoH. But the second learned weave limitation works only if the weave is different. (Healing, for example, isn't concerned by the second-learned weave limitation, because the new way is very different of the first one, as Romanda states). So could this different weave Aviendha made, be one that doesn't need for the channeler to know the place? It would make sense and explain everything. But then, Rand did the same but is not affected by the second-learned weave limitation.

I don't have an exact reference but, this is how I understand it. Anyone who is strong enough and knows the weave can Travel short distances accurately without knowing the area. Holding the source quickens the pace at which you learn an area for Traveling. However not knowing the area does not prevent Traveling. All it does is decreases the accuracy of where you will open the gateway to. The better you know an area the more accurately you can open a Gateway to anywhere else. This is why the new age OP users learned Skimming for areas that they didn't know well. In TGS Rand reveals the Traveling to an area grants you instant knowledge of that area (for future Traveling purposes?).

No. She wanted to be as far away from him as possible. Seanchan is on the other side of the world.

It may be that you don't need to know the place when travelling to directly the opposite side of the world.

No. She wanted to be as far away from him as possible. Seanchan is on the other side of the world.

It may be that you don't need to know the place when travelling to directly the opposite side of the world.

Huh?

This actually supports my point. She didn't have a specific destination ain mind, just AWAY. She didn't have to know the area at all. Now she could have wound up in a mountain, volcano or the middle of the ocean. I fell that Rand's T'Averen placed her in a "safe" place for their encounter.

Huh?

This actually supports my point. She didn't have a specific destination ain mind, just AWAY. She didn't have to know the area at all. Now she could have wound up in a mountain, volcano or the middle of the ocean. I fell that Rand's T'Averen placed her in a "safe" place for their encounter.

I wasn't replying to you at all. Now I am.

It has nothing to do with t'averen.

I know this thread is more about Aviendah Traveling in book 5, but let's not forget her strange Traveling in book 8 too.  She may have Traveled through TIME, not just space.  RJ said something about it when a fan asked.

I think Aviendah thinks that she is bad at Traveling because she has less experience, but I think she has some special Talent or strong ability related to it, and I think we'll learn more about that as the story progresses.

I know this thread is more about Aviendah Traveling in book 5, but let's not forget her strange Traveling in book 8 too.  She may have Traveled through TIME, not just space.  RJ said something about it when a fan asked.

I think Aviendah thinks that she is bad at Traveling because she has less experience, but I think she has some special Talent or strong ability related to it, and I think we'll learn more about that as the story progresses.

Which Travelling? Through Time?? I didn't notice. Could you please tell me where? I'd like to read that...

Aviendha don't think she is bad at it, as she says otherwise to Elayne after going to the kin. She says she made a good gateway when fleeing Rand, and only says Vandene and Adeleas can't help her for that. I think she could be good at it if she remember how she did the first time.

I don't know if she has a Talent with travelling, though...

Which Travelling? Through Time?? I didn't notice. Could you please tell me where? I'd like to read that...

Aviendha don't think she is bad at it, as she says otherwise to Elayne after going to the kin. She says she made a good gateway when fleeing Rand, and only says Vandene and Adeleas can't help her for that. I think she could be good at it if she remember how she did the first time.

I don't know if she has a Talent with travelling, though...

http://13depository.blogspot.com/2001/07/aviendhas-gateway.html

Don't think it's gonna get more detailed than that.

That link presents a nicely presented bunch of wishful thinking.  No time travel was involved.

The reason that the Seanchan arrived so late to the Kin Farm is because they had no reason to go there at all until the women began using the Bowl of Winds.  The use of the Bowl was a beacon for the damane, screaming that women who can channel are doing so and they are "up there a few miles."  Then they had to send out scounts on to'raken to pinpoint exactly where "a few miles up there" was and get an attack force into position besides.

That all takes time.  On a clock that didn't begin ticking until after they had invaded Ebou Dar and first noticed the use of Power to the north.

You're conveniently ignoring parts of the argument presented there, as well as some mysterious answers from RJ (he didn't confirm the theory, of course). It might all be fluff and feathers, or it might not. Believing something doesn't make it true.

Archived