DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Does egwene suffer from alzheimers or did RJ make a mistake?

So in chapter 51 of tFoH rand gets the letters from eladia and alviarin. He reads each then hands them to Moiraine, who in turn hands them to egwene to look over...

Jump ahead to aCoS chapter 9 where egwene is talking to leane about rand thinking alviarin supported him. She says "he says he has a letter from her." then "that's if she even wrote it; if it exists."

So the three possibilities we can conclude from this are

1. RJ made a mistake

2. Egwene forgot that she read the letters and heard Moiraine say it was in her handwriting

3. Egwene was lying to Leane, when she had no need or reason too.

What do you all think

Could be another example of Egwene's memory loss about Carhien. (Those with kind thoughts could blame her injuries at the docks by Lanfear's attack) but she also forgot that Mat won a lot of battles and killed Couladin. She thinks (thought) that Mat was a general due to Rand's friendship (in Salidar)

This annoyed me when she realized that Talmanes etc followed Mat and he was a good general ......

So in chapter 51 of tFoH rand gets the letters from eladia and alviarin. He reads each then hands them to Moiraine, who in turn hands them to egwene to look over...

Jump ahead to aCoS chapter 9 where egwene is talking to leane about rand thinking alviarin supported him. She says "he says he has a letter from her." then "that's if she even wrote it; if it exists."

The part in bold is a misquote.

I agree about lollipop's observation on Mat. But in her defense she might not have known how awesome Mat really was; killing Couladin could've been ta'veren; the battles with the White Lions she could've glossed over, knowing how women are towards war and fighting, and there was the implication that Mat was trying to get away from it all. At that point only Rand, Lan, the chiefs, Asmo, and possibly Moirane knew just how good Mat was.

My edition reads:

"He says he has a letter from her."  She could still see Rand gloating over receiving letters from Elaida and Alviarin both, back before she herself left Cairhien.  "Maybe her ambitions make her think she can replace Elaida with him on her side.  That's if she really wrote it; if it exists. He thinks he's clever, Leane - maybe he is - but he doesn't believe he needs anyone." ...

Looks like one of the errors that may have been corrected in subsequent printings.

It's interesting that when Egwene thinks about the letter in KoD, she expresses no doubt:

Should she mention the letter this woman had written to Rand practically promising him the White Tower at his feet?  No, that piece of information might prove valuable, but it seemed the sort of thing that could only be used once.

It's interesting that when Egwene thinks about the letter in KoD, she expresses no doubt:

Should she mention the letter this woman had written to Rand practically promising him the White Tower at his feet?  No, that piece of information might prove valuable, but it seemed the sort of thing that could only be used once.

im not sure that that is not expressing doubt, its just saying, should she mention this letter, I know its a technicallity and you may be right, but i think of it as.

"Maybe i should ask about the letter the woman had suppposedly written to him, promising the tower at his feet."

Archived