DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Hero for Our Times

Val Mickey

Who would you want as the HoH from our times? Real world people only, so no Rambo or James Bond. We could have a poll, later on, after auditions are over.

I'll go first - Theodore Teddy Roosevelt. I'm no American, but that is one awesome dude.

P.S If one of the moderators don't object, I'd like our times to be defined as post 1000 AD. (!?)

P.S.S If this should go to Fiddlesticks, the moderators may do so. Or someone can post or PM me on how to do it. Thanks.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fidel Castro (for removing the terrible influence the US had over cuba)

Billy Bishop (airial ace WW1 killed red baron)

Tito (communist leader of Yugoslavia I believe, held the people together by being a fantastic leader)

Ralph Klein (joke)

Winston Churchill.

Particularly if the 'hero' mold is one of leadership in times of great conflict. Others I would go with would be Abraham Lincoln, Nelson Mandela, Mother Theresa, Ghandi and even Kerri Strug (the girl who stuck her final vault on a broken ankle in the Olympics and then collapsed to the ground in tears). There are many you could name that fit different criteria as to what a 'Hero' might be, but ultimately for me its someone who sacrifices themselves for the greater good in the face of tremendous adversity... even if they don't do it in such a way that they eventually become famous for it - perhaps especially then. Let's make sure not to confuse someone who is great - a great mind or great athlete - with someone who is heroic. They are two very different things.

The difference between our hero's and those in Randland? Our heroes are what they are because they made a choice rather than being swept along by 'The Pattern', and they did it without the benefit of being Ta'veren.

I also think 'our times' should be within the last 100 years or so. JMO.

Tupac Shakur. "A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but one."

Please tell me you do not think Tupac came up with that quote...

hahahaha i dont like the 80s and 90s rappers at all. but still it is a shame to what the "rivalries" of rap have come too. instead of Tupac vs B.I.G now its taylor vs kanye. come on. haha just my 2 cents

hahahaha i dont like the 80s and 90s rappers at all. but still it is a shame to what the "rivalries" of rap have come too. instead of Tupac vs B.I.G now its taylor vs kanye. come on. haha just my 2 cents

don't you mean 50 cent? ::)

Lewis "Chesty" Puller

John Basilone

I mean, I can understand people putting Gandhi, Mother Teresa, and others who mainly do non-violent protest, but I was under the impression that the hero's of the horn have to do some fighting. I know fighting isn't the main skill that qualifies someone to be a HoH, but it kind of seems like its an important requirement.

Given that the "Heroes" are the Wheel's corrective mechanisms for whatever is ailing the Pattern, most of those proposed would qualify including Ghandi, Mother Teresa, perhaps Galileo, even Newton and more recently, Rosa Parks.

Not all corrections need a strong sword arm or unerring aim with any weapon.

I've heard of Audie Murphy, and of Rosa Parks, but who's Chesty? or Basilone? A description in a sentence would be helpful.

Chesty Puller and John Basilone are both United States Marines. Basilone was awarded the Medal of Honor for action in the Pacific theatre (Guadalcanal, IIRC) in WWII. Puller (just google him and read the Wiki, it's amazing) is to Marines what Christ is to Christians (and no, that's not much in the way of hyperbole).

don't you mean 50 cent? ::)

Damn I was guna say that hahaha

What about the historic precedents for Artur Hawkwing?

-Genghis Khan

-Alexius I Komnenus (The guy knew war)

-Napoleon

-Arthur Wellesley

-Garibaldi

-Rommel

In terms of altering the course of history like a ta'veren, and as much as I dislike these people, you could go with all the bad guys of the 20th century:

Hitler, Stalin, Mao, etc.

would be much easier to think of people if we go back further cause then you could include people like

Cunfusious

sun tzu

julius Caesar

Hannibal

can't recall the name, but some central american who achieved independance from Spain

Archived