DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Women Messengers in TDR

algspkr

I just started my reread of TDR and in the beginning they are hiding in mountains waiting for a messenger.  Perrin thinks about several others who came before.  How did one, much less several find their way to the camp?  And how did Rand's group know to go meet them?

These women are Moiraine's eyes and ears. They are coming to report to her. The camp knows they are coming because Moiraine told them. As for how they know where to find her, I've always assumed it was something of the One Power. We've seen Moiraine and Elayne both use a weave that allows them to find the person they've touched with it again. It's not improbable that there is a weave that will compel the subject to find the weaver and give them an idea of where to find her. It sounds much like a modified version of the Warder bond.

These women are Moiraine's eyes and ears. They are coming to report to her. The camp knows they are coming because Moiraine told them. As for how they know where to find her, I've always assumed it was something of the One Power. We've seen Moiraine and Elayne both use a weave that allows them to find the person they've touched with it again. It's not improbable that there is a weave that will compel the subject to find the weaver and give them an idea of where to find her. It sounds much like a modified version of the Warder bond.

I don't know about compel, but at the least make the person aware their Aes Sedai wanted them, and give them a sense of where to go.

Yeah, compel is a bit of a strong word there, especially considering there's another usage for it the series. But if I'm recalling correctly, those women had a very strong need to talk to Moiraine RIGHT NOW, and wouldn't be put off by offers of food or rest. That to me says there's something adding urgency to them.

I actually took a simpler approach with explaining to myself how it happened. There is a time gap between Falme and the mountain Dragon camp and I just assumed Moiraine found time to send pigeons while she was still in a town setting. The pigeons could have said "Do this, come here at this time, no delays." As an Aes Sedai she would have played a big role in choosing that out of the way location to make camp.

Also, about the importance of getting there, White Tower business is serious.

Initially I thought Moirane had talents in Dreaming. Anaiya mentions to Egwene that Moirane should be teaching her. (TGH)

She also knew obscure stuff about wolves helping Dreamers (though she knows a lot of obscure stuff including balefiring and the mist of mirrors, she must be a polymath). But later on Moirane herself shot down the theory, I'm not sure where, but she mentions she had no talents in dreaming or something similar. Much obliged if someone could back that up.

Archived