DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

how does rand cut of asmo from the DO? *spoiler/theory*

So I just reread Shadow Rising, and the part where rand weaves black cords into asmodean during their fight in rhuidean got me thinking. How did he do this? Asmodean mentioned he was linked to the DO and that rand cut him off from the DO's power. Could rand possibly use this against other forsaken or the DO himself? What if he ran into shaidar haran and cut him off?

I'm just curious as to what the link itself actually does and what, other than losing protection from the taint, other any other consequences could be.

THE CORDS ARE THE CONNECTION TO THE DO. WHEN ASMO IS CUT OFF FROM THEN HE SAYS HE WILL SUFFER THE SAME FATE AS ANY MAN THAT CHANNELS, HE WILL GO MAD. SO THOSE CORDS ARE THE DO PROTECTION ON HIS MINIONS TO PROTECT THEM FROM INSANITY.

RAND ALSO CUT OFF AGINOR IN EOTW AND ISHY, NOT SURE IF DURING GHOTH OR TDR.

Please edit your post that is in ALL CAPS Entretamis.  It is annoying, and considered rude to type in all caps on the internet.  I also think it's against forum rules (could be wrong about that one though).

With that said, Entretamis is right.  This is the link to the DO that all the Male Forsaken have/had to protect them from the taint of saidin.  For some reason it isn't always visible, but Rand has used the OP to cut some of the male Forsaken from their ties to the DO.

I wonder if Rand now has those black chords surrounding him, now that he's tapped into the TP?

I wonder if Rand now has those black chords surrounding him, now that he's tapped into the TP?

I doubt it. i say you have to go to shayol ghul( sorry for the spelling ) and say the dark ones oaths or such. and anyway would it make much of a difference since rand cleansed the source. The connection only stopped the taint from effecting the male forsaken ( i think )

From what I understood of these chords, I thought not only do they prevent the male forsaken from going mad, but also they are... mmmhhhh, an assurance of their fealty to the Dark One. I remember Asmodean being over shocking because of the severing, and not only because he'd go mad eventually, but also because the Dark One would not trust him anymore or something like this. Because of this severing, he knew he could never come back to the Dark One and get his eternal life. So I guess it is much more than just a chord to prevent male forsaken from going mad.

As such, I'm also curious as to whether female forsakens have such a chord. It seems to be seeable only when holding a great amount of the OP or being totally wrapped into it (Rand only saw them in a couple of occasion while he was channeling to death), so I think there must be a good reason for it to be so.

The nature of the cords was discussed a lot but I'm not sure if anything definite was found out about them. I think it was debunked that they were a filter on the taint but it is the idea that makes the most sense to me. We do know that Aginor wanted the pool of Saidin that was at the Eye because with it he could channel without the Dark One knowing what he was up to - perhaps these cords are what informs the Dark One. He is always present with the forsaken when they channel.

The Dark One would have known Asmodean's link to him was severed somehow, but probably not exactly how. For Asmodean to then show up at Shayol Ghul would seem too close to betrayal. Asmodean would seem like a dog who might or might not be rabid, so it would be best to have him put down to be safe. The Dark One doesn't trust anybody except maybe Moridin. Asmodean's one chance would likely be to appear at Shayol Ghul with another forsaken the way it happened in the Age of Legends (I believe Graendel took him to say his oaths back then), but with the current competition for Nae'blis it would be suicide for him to approach one to ask.

Archived