DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Alanna, and her race

horus17

so , i'm on my umpteen-th reread, and i'm on the LoC. i've been Alanna is described as being dark and beautiful. and she has long flowing hair. i believe Tuon is black, with kinky hair, after it has grown in a bit. so is Alanna Sedai dark skinned like she's from India? theres another description of her when Verin embarrasses her and 'color blooms in her cheeks'. if she's technically black, could we see color in her cheeks, per se? i'm just trying to figure out if characters descriptions are somewhat close, in my minds eye.

i've had these feelings before and i've read posts where others question the ethnicity of certain characters and peoples. like Tear or the Sea Folk. like Rahvin or Semirhage. just wondering, i guess.

so , i'm on my umpteen-th reread, and i'm on the LoC. i've been Alanna is described as being dark and beautiful. and she has long flowing hair. i believe Tuon is black, with kinky hair, after it has grown in a bit. so is Alanna Sedai dark skinned like she's from India? theres another description of her when Verin embarrasses her and 'color blooms in her cheeks'. if she's technically black, could we see color in her cheeks, per se? i'm just trying to figure out if characters descriptions are somewhat close, in my minds eye.

i've had these feelings before and i've read posts where others question the ethnicity of certain characters and peoples. like Tear or the Sea Folk. like Rahvin or Semirhage. just wondering, i guess.

Alanna [last name] is Tairen I believe, so dark and her last name has the ring of Spanish I believe

Weird.  I never pay too close attention to character descriptions, but since Alanna is described as having a "fiery personality" or something like that, I've always assumed she was a lighter skinned redhead.

Haha.  Oh well, I'll think of her completely differently from now on.  My bad.

Though the odd thing is that the Arafellin people are generally pale-skinned, so I don't know why Alanna would be randomly darker-skinned.  Though just being from Arafel doesn't necessarily mean that both her parents were too, and there is a general spectrum of skin tones in populations, so it could be either.

damn, i completely missed my point, i think. or no one answered my question. no worries

i have pictured characters by their personalities too. but characters are described a certain way, then i have that formed in my mind. then  i see a painting of someone that completely goes against everything i had in my head. so if someone can answer my Alanna question, maybe i can move on from there. but since i've read the books since 1990, i'm kind of stuck in my ways.

but i'm open to a new vision of the characters.

i think shs more latina.

heres how i see the countries in WoT VS races in our world

Illian-Greek

Sea Folk- Indian/Sri Lankan

Dark Tairens- Arab

Two Rivers- Italian

Andor- English/Anglo Saxon

Saldean- Half Asian Half white

Ebou Dar- Italian/Spanish 

Dont forget with Allana being Araffelian and tanned, the reason normal Araffelians are pale is because of the cold climate in the borderlands, once they go south they get tanned, look at that Arraffelian Ashaman who used to be pale but is now tanned (Narishma?)

i think shs more latina.

heres how i see the countries in WoT VS races in our world

Illian-Greek

Sea Folk- Indian/Sri Lankan

Dark Tairens- Arab

I pictured them as more of Hispanic, generally dark coloring with people of fair coloring not being uncommon.

Two Rivers- Italian

I pictured them as Scots because there is an RJ quote where he says that he intended them to have a Scottish accent, but their coloring is wrong for my interpretation. 

Andor- English/Anglo Saxon

Saldean- Half Asian Half white

Ebou Dar- Italian/Spanish 

Dont forget with Allana being Araffelian and tanned, the reason normal Araffelians are pale is because of the cold climate in the borderlands, once they go south they get tanned, look at that Arraffelian Ashaman who used to be pale but is now tanned (Narishma?)

Personally for Allana, I pictured her as being of European descent, but with darker than average skin and eyes.

The Two Rivers is a small, isolated area in Andor, which most of us take to be English/British. The TR people are mostly dark of hair and eye, and breed sheep. Can they be anything other than Welsh?

;)

Alanna [last name] is Tairen I believe, so dark and her last name has the ring of Spanish I believe

I lived in Spain. Most are fairly pale skinned, something about being of mostly Germanic (Visigoth ancestry).

Archived