DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Elza Penfell

mellojoe

Elza Penfell is one of the Aes Sedai sworn to Rand that had originally been captured after the battle at Dumai Wells.

She is a darkfriend.

In Winters Heart during the cleansing from her point of view she says that her time with the Aiel convinced her that Rand must survive to be defeated by the Great Lord at tarmon gaidon. 

What happened with her and the Aiel?  Why did she become so passionate about saving Rand?  What changed?  She even said that while she wouldn't directly disobey a Chosen, she felt OK making certain decisions on her own to ensure his safety.

What's her story?

Majsju beat me to it.  Verin compelled her.  As far as I know, Semi and/or Shadar Haran released her of her compulsion before she helped get Rand into the sad bracelets in TGS, so she was able to again "think clearly" and obey the Chosen.

Majsju beat me to it.  Verin compelled her.  As far as I know, Semi and/or Shadar Haran released her of her compulsion before she helped get Rand into the sad bracelets in TGS, so she was able to again "think clearly" and obey the Chosen.

Shadar Haran found out about it, but it was Semirhage that removed it.

Sorry, I believe you're carrying that Compulsion thing from Verin a little too far. From her own POV, she explains how she can't make people change opinions. She can only help bring out thoughts that are already there.

Remember all the harsh treatments the wise ones put the captured Aes Sedai through. Some learned humility, some learned other things, so I believe the WOs have more to do about Elza's state of mind than Verin.

Nope it was Verin. Her compulsion can force you to do things, but your mind must rationalize them. Hence Elza's firm belief that Rand actually had to make it to the Last Battle to be killed in order for the Dark One to win. She was forced by Verin's compulsion to protect Rand and help him reach the Last Battle, but had to rationalise it in her own mind.

Archived