DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Demandred

Shadow Rider

A quote taken from The Wheel of Time - The Forsaken Facebook Group Discussions posted by Kristi Deming.

When I met Brandon on the book signing tour, they gave us a sticky to write what we wanted him to write what we wanted. I am the proud owner of the only copy that says:

"To Kristi, I promise Demandred will be in AMoL!"

I asked if I was right in thinking that RJ had saved the best for last, and Brandon simply said as far as the Shadow is concerned, the main player will be Demandred.

ABOUT BLOODY TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know, if the Light wins, he will have to die (I cried when Semirhage died, and when Sammael died...don't ask...), but in the entire series, he is the only one the DO has EVER shown approval of his actions. Even Ishamael, after Falme, was forced to endure the wound he received as punishment (Nemene, excuse me, Semirhage was free then, she could have healed him. Instead, he was forced to deal with the pain of his failure.) Barid Bel is the ONLY one who has been shown approval (I still think he's the "Watcher" in T'a'R, since the Watcher was around when Ishamael was dead.) I think he was the one who kept Ishamael's orders followed after he died (remember there was commentary about how someone was making sure at least some of Ishamael's orders were still being followed.) And the prime bit (yes, Taim answers to him, that's a given) is that I believe he is the one who will face Rand as Nae'blis come Tarmon Gai'don. Why do I believe this? It was stated flat out in the prologue for GS: Ishamael/Moridin stated NO ONE is to kill Rand, period. Barid Bel stated "No one kills him but me" and Moridin agreed, adding only the DO is allowed to kill Rand other than Barid Bel. Period.

Of all the Chosen, he is the only male who hasn't died once. Of all the chosen, he's the only one who hasn't been captured or punished except Graendal. (And I don't believe she was stupid enough to fall into Rand's trap. He's suddenly going to send a peace emissary to her? Knowing who she is, after he just killed Nemene? YEAH! NOT! I believe she made the weave to dissipate if something was destroyed (like an object)...not something one of the Chosen wouldn't be able to do. So Rand killed everyone in that manor for nothing. I think that would cause him far more damage than killing her would have.

I said as much to Brandon, saying I expected a RAFO to that. He said that all he could say would be that point would be addressed at a further point in the books.

Still, RAFO ;)

I was giddy as hell to learn that I was right: Barid Bel will be the prime moving force behind the Shadow and it's armies and Tarmon Gai'don. And it's about DAMNED BLOODY time!!

April 23 at 4:56pm · Report

Very interesting.... I'll say it's widely believed that Demandred has Shara, could he have taken Seanchan after Semirhage's failer?

If so Randland is going to be hit from all sides.....it's gonna be AWESOME!!!

Luckers edit: This isn't myspace. No >>>>FANCY TITLES<<<<

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont care where Demandred is (although I think he has not one, but several "armies" and will create utter chaos.) he is the greatest. The most efficiant of the forsaken, his only real flaw is his obsessive hatred of LTT, and even then, as seen in his PoV from WH, "With the Chodean Kal" he can admit Rand's power and brilliance. (The main failing of most of the forsaken has been, underestimation)

So whatever Demandred is up to, it will burn a hole in the Light's power. Everything seems to be looking good for the Light post tGS, Demandred will be the one to strike the Shadows "killer" blow.

How good would it be, Demandred killing Rand (oh the irony) and him  being reborn and such. Perhaps Demandred will also turn to the light, after havnig had his revenge on LTT after all these years, and finding out that it wasnt as great as it seems, turning back and becomming one of Rand's best Generals.

Ok, the last was just wishful thinking, but one thing is sure, whether or not Demandred's reveal will be "suprising" it will surely be deadly.

How good would it be, Demandred killing Rand (oh the irony) and him  being reborn and such. Perhaps Demandred will also turn to the light, after havnig had his revenge on LTT after all these years, and finding out that it wasnt as great as it seems, turning back and becomming one of Rand's best Generals.

That would be hilarious...

Demandred can rot. Ive waited far too long for it, and got bored of the waiting, to care anymore. Too many Forsaken have fallen based on their personality faults even when they are uber hyped up and Demandred... well, he will pull off the best random tactical move to avoid everything the Light has, STILL pin Rand down, and block anyone from getting near. Then he and Rand will begin arguing about something Lews Therin said once, and Demandred will be all childish and bitter and the arguement goes on and on until Rand screams "F*** IT!" and just stabs Demandred. And the excuse readers will come up with is "Come on, Demandred had stuff to get off his chest."

I agree, Demandred sucks. Who cares where he's been?

I'll be excited to see something happen, but he didn't do much at the cleansing, so I don't expect much of a problem with dealing with him.

Matt will out strategize him.

Any why does the title say aMoL SPOILER?

is it s spoiler to say a character will be in a book?

Hey SPOILER – It's been confirmed that Rand will be in aMoL!!!!

the only way we'd be spoiled is if BS said Demandred won't show up in either of the last two.

I think this may be the biggest flaw in the writing of this series so far. I mean, they're my fave books ever, but I just couldn't give a flying fart about Demandred any more. He's just taken playing hard to get a bit too far.

Look how cool Moridin is to read, now? He's interesting.

Demandred has been so well hidden that it's kind of hard to believe in the substance of him.

If he's not in charge of all the mentallers in Shara, half of Seanchan, the Land of the Madmen and the twits from the Borderlands, then I don't want to see him in ToM. Now!

Doc bean I guess its a ^kinda^ spoiler since his name hasn't changed... they are running low on non-reincarnated Forsaken. That being said I agree with aunt pol he just hasn't been around enough to think about much, if he's going to matter its got to be big.(thats what she said)

Now you guys sound like an idiot that wrote a damning review of EotW that I read here:http://apps.facebook.com/good_reads/book/show/7062520?build_fb_url=true&utm_medium=facebook_feed&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=review&fb_inviter_id=3929409&ref=nf

And it sounds to me your damning JR's work.....SHAME ON YOU!

One of the things I like about Demandred is that he apparently hates lews Therin more then most, yet he has played it smart so far and not rushed in against Rand like alot of the other Forsaken has. To me that suggests he doesn't have alot of the personality flaws that others like Sammael and Rahvin did; or rather, he is willing to admit that Rand could possibly beat him and is biding his time waiting. In any case, he has obviously been set up as a major player.

Now that Graendal and Semiharge is dead, that really leaves Moridin and Demandred as the big ones (the ones that were always at the top according to RJ.) Although Cyndane probably still has a role to play.

You guys, it's not action that makes WoT great, it's scope and development of characters. If Damandred simply shows up with a gazillion trollocs / mad channelers at his command, that won't make him awesome, just lame. We need to hear his thoughts, to understand his motives, to know what's been happening to him all this time. The time is growing short for a new character to be introduced and still matter in the end.

You guys, it's not action that makes WoT great, it's scope and development of characters. If Damandred simply shows up with a gazillion trollocs / mad channelers at his command, that won't make him awesome, just lame. We need to hear his thoughts, to understand his motives, to know what's been happening to him all this time. The time is growing short for a new character to be introduced and still matter in the end.

I think someone needs to read what people are actually saying.

We've had 12 books to get to know the characters. Demandred has been kept too much of a secret to get regular PoVs, which means the only awesomeness-the ONLY awesomeness-we could ever have gotten out of him were from the first impressions, and his hatred of Lews Therin. Thats it. Im sorry, but that isnt enough to keep me going for 12 book. For christs sake, Tallanvor has had more involvement than Demandred.

If Demandred shows up and leads the Shadowspawn it will not be worth the wait because Id have expected Demandred to lead a better army. If hes involved in the Black Tower stuff it will automatically take away from Taim, which is a no-no because Taim is way, way more fun to read about than some dude who hasnt been about for 12 books. If Demandred were involved in Graendals survival it would take away from Graendals resourcefulness. Pretty much anything Demandred does now will dissapoint me, because more characters deserve the screen time by now. Unless hes controlling those Borderlander armies, and he and Taim are working to set the Borderlanders and the Black Tower to fight each other, then Demandred ios wasted screentime for someone who already has existing involvement that is already awesome.

All of these arguments against Demandred sound like impatient children. Really, if you dont like a character because they havent had much screen time, thats really stupid. That was the whole point of Demandred, small hints at something big, but never actually explored, until the last, where he will finally reveal himself.

Come on, seriously, hear yourselves, disliking a character, simply because you dont know what they are doing and havent found out in a long time....

Does anyone have any idea what he did in LoC that impressed the Great Lord so much? That is something that has niggled at me more than any other as-yet-uknown thing in this series, way more than who bloody killed bloody Asmodean

Many believe it was the Asha'man creation into a weapon (Dumai Wells) or possibly the capturing of Rand (may have played his part with Messaana.) Leading to his distrust of AS, (which the shadow seems intent on)

But basically every theory is somewhat possible (unless of course, proven otherwise) but i dont think at this time can be proven.

Well said Barid, I mean seriously Drekka, you hate a character because they haven't had much screen time?

Jordan saved the best for last an if you hate Dem that much your going to be very disappointed. If your not interested in Demandred then why did you view this thread? why not just ignore it. I'm sure there are other members who would appreciate this information.

Does anyone have any idea what he did in LoC that impressed the Great Lord so much? That is something that has niggled at me more than any other as-yet-uknown thing in this series, way more than who bloody killed bloody Asmodean

I think he took Taim to Shayol Ghul.

All of these arguments against Demandred sound like impatient children. Really, if you dont like a character because they havent had much screen time, thats really stupid. That was the whole point of Demandred, small hints at something big, but never actually explored, until the last, where he will finally reveal himself.

Come on, seriously, hear yourselves, disliking a character, simply because you dont know what they are doing and havent found out in a long time....

Call it silly if you wish but its still an oppinion. You wouldnt say the same thing to people who stopped caring who killed Asmo, just because it wasnt cleared up, would you Bel Barid? Theres impatience, and then theres anticipation that is dragged out for too long. My point isnt that I dont like Demandred-dont know the guy well enough-but that Im certainly not going to be as interested in anything that happens to him anywhere near as much as I will be for characters that I know more about. If thats what you call childish impatience Bel Barid, well, I am an impatient child then. But in order for me to give a crap after 12 books, he would have to have given me more stuff to think about than he has.

I think he took Taim to Shayol Ghul.

Call it silly if you wish but its still an oppinion. You wouldnt say the same thing to people who stopped caring who killed Asmo, just because it wasnt cleared up, would you Bel Barid? Theres impatience, and then theres anticipation that is dragged out for too long. My point isnt that I dont like Demandred-dont know the guy well enough-but that Im certainly not going to be as interested in anything that happens to him anywhere near as much as I will be for characters that I know more about. If thats what you call childish impatience Bel Barid, well, I am an impatient child then. But in order for me to give a crap after 12 books, he would have to have given me more stuff to think about than he has.

Well I can respect that, still sounds childish (not taking an actual shot at you, just using that as a comparison, sorry if that offended) and I understand, it is your opinion, and you are entitled to it, but it really does sound ridiculous.

Anyway, in regards to Asmodean, I say the same thing, it would be childish to dislike Asmodean and his killer just because it hasnt been resolved, I can understand you not caring, which is fair enough, but to actually say, I dont like this, and whatever happens, i will be disappionted, thats what I call childish. (again, not inteded to be a shot at you personally)

Demandred can rot. Ive waited far too long for it, and got bored of the waiting, to care anymore. Too many Forsaken have fallen based on their personality faults even when they are uber hyped up and Demandred... well, he will pull off the best random tactical move to avoid everything the Light has, STILL pin Rand down, and block anyone from getting near. Then he and Rand will begin arguing about something Lews Therin said once, and Demandred will be all childish and bitter and the arguement goes on and on until Rand screams "F*** IT!" and just stabs Demandred. And the excuse readers will come up with is "Come on, Demandred had stuff to get off his chest."

You said it in the highlighted part ....

Aginor & Balthamel attacked Rand an got ass kicked!

Be'lal tried an got BFed.

Lanfear tried to kill him an Moiraine got her.

Rand found Rahvin, an BFed him.

Poor Asmo...

Sammael attacked, and Rand went hunting and got em.

Semihrage efed up an got BFed.

Graendal?.... well, still debating that.

Even Ishmael got butt kicked not once, but twice.

Most have tried to kill Rand and failed, but not Demandred. Rand has no idea where he is but Dem is being a good boy and doing as he is told, which most of the others have failed to do. And if Demandred did have a go at him, add Dem to the death list.

Rand must reach TG to face The Great Lord an the idiots tried to kill him.

Demandred has played it smart, kept his nose down and is completing his tasks what ever they are, pretty much doing as he's told.

I don't think my attention span is so short as to lose interest in a character easily. Demandred has been hidden too well, that's the problem. I'm sure he's playing a master game, my point is just that he'd better make it worth the wait!

On my original read I didn't think much of Demandred; just seemed a Forsaken who was particularly good at hiding and had a high opinion of himself. However I've come to like him more and more on every re-read. Graendal seems to be a bit wary of him, which is good enough for me considering she was probably one of the more cautious and intelligent Forsaken (RIP.)

We don't know. I think Rand is the Lord of Chaos and the Dark One wants him free to change the Pattern, because the rapid change causes weaknesses (chaos) he'll exploit on the Day of Return. And Demandred had some role to play in getting the Asha'man to Dumai's Wells, to make sure Rand was freed, not a prisoner of Aes Sedai, as well as to cause massive upheaval when Aes Sedai swore fealty to a man. I mean, that all fits, but it's hardly definite. But even then, I can't guess exactly what Demandred did to manipulate the Asha'man.

I share other posters' disappointment at Demandred. He's been kept so vague for so long that I'll have a hard time being impressed with anything he does. Even if details of what he's been doing all this time are revealed, it's more likely to piss me off at being teased than anything else.

Really? See I thought Demandred was behind most of the crap in book 6. The fake Aiel who wounded the one Aes Sedai in Caemlyn that ultimately chased Rand to Cairhien and thus got him captured (I don't think that was the point of the fake aiel, I think they were just there to undermine Aes Sedai trust in Rand), the wars in Shara, the Dragonsworn army (what was the comment from one forsaken that events to the south had Demandred's mark all over them?)

Really? See I thought Demandred was behind most of the crap in book 6. The fake Aiel who wounded the one Aes Sedai in Caemlyn that ultimately chased Rand to Cairhien and thus got him captured (I don't think that was the point of the fake aiel, I think they were just there to undermine Aes Sedai trust in Rand), the wars in Shara, the Dragonsworn army (what was the comment from one forsaken that events to the south had Demandred's mark all over them?)

Graendel accidentally caused the war in Shara by triggering one of their prophecies, when all she wanted to do was kidnap Sharan leaders as a red herring so Sammael couldn't guess her plans. (Her real plan was to get Sammael to attack Rand, both to keep Rand's attention off her, and to get Sammael killed.) I tune out things like the Dragonsworn army, "events to the south", and the fake Aiel as hopelessly vague teasers. If one or all of them ended up being Demandred though, it would certainly play into his theme of being a hopelessly vague teaser himself.

Archived