DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A New Breed

There is probably a topic concerning this and if so, direct me to that.

Anyway, in FoH, Rand is confronted by some Darkhounds, which can only be destroyed by balefire. His power blade cuts through them and they split and reform. Now this could be a result of a bubble of evil, but i dont buy it.

The interesting thing that got me was the section on Darkhounds in the BWB, at the end of it it mentions this "new breed' of Darkhounds and has an ominous suggestion that it is an important point.

At the same time, or rather, aftewrwards, Perrin finds trace of a pack of Darkhounds, around 50 (IIRC) which is said to be much, much bigger than any normal pack. It seems something is going down with these Darkhounds, I would suggest it was the BUT, except for the fact that it is not really continued, although it could be said that technically it is, with the Perrin incident.

Anyway, thoughts on the subject?

Is this new breed somehow created by Slayer harvesting souls of wolves hes killed in T'A'R? Thats what ive thought reading the books and that passage that you mentioned that i think is also in the glosary of later books. Ive seen other people on forums theorise this so i reckon theres a good chance, Slayers got to be doing something in between missions for the forsaken and killing off heroes of the horn...

I don't know about what might appear in the BWB, but note that Moiraine also chose BF to combat Darkhounds, and she didn't try to use something else before doing so. I reckon they just can't be killed by ordinary methods.

BTW I think the Hunt was ruled out as the BUT by Peter (it has been discussed on the forums before he claimed nobody got it right).

Is this new breed somehow created by Slayer harvesting souls of wolves hes killed in T'A'R? Thats what ive thought reading the books and that passage that you mentioned that i think is also in the glosary of later books. Ive seen other people on forums theorise this so i reckon theres a good chance, Slayers got to be doing something in between missions for the forsaken and killing off heroes of the horn...

Slayer kills the wolves for sport. I've read the theory that he kills Heroes on this forum a few times but I don't buy it, nothing I can think of in the books ever suggests this.

it's not just balefire that kills them. remember that perrin shot one down with his bow.

but i can't understand why arrows work when slicing them in half doesn't

The hounds that had to be killed by Balefire were a NEW breed. The ones that could be killed by arrows the OLD breed.

it's not just balefire that kills them. remember that perrin shot one down with his bow.

The hounds that had to be killed by Balefire were a NEW breed. The ones that could be killed by arrows the OLD breed.

he didnt kill it did he, he just slowed it down, and since the arrow was still in the thing it couldnt heal over it thus slowing it down, moraine bfed it for safety as I recall

he didnt kill it did he, he just slowed it down, and since the arrow was still in the thing it couldnt heal over it thus slowing it down, moraine bfed it for safety as I recall

he kills one but it takes 3 arrows to do it and then Moraine balefires the crap out of the other nine that are left. (TSR chapter 43) also lan kills the one that was sent for scouting for Sammael when Moraine was gone. the others had to be some kind of new breed unless destroying with the power is useless unless its balefire. using the power on htem could have similar effects of cuendillar making them only stronger or in this case multiplying them

Archived