DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Moiraine set it all up to get Mat in the ToG

I think that Moiraine and the 3 man rescue through the ToG has more to it.

The reason I’m saying this is because Moiraine was shown all the possible futures. She learns what steps must be taken in order to reach her goal. Basically, she has a cheat sheet on how to get an A. she has all the answers.

Therefore, it should be understood that everything Moiraine did after that point was intentional. She knew where each step would take her.

Given that she knows that she is going to enter Finnland and eventually (if successful) exit Finnland, I can only find one significant factor in her story thread. The entirety of her actions caused events to force Mat, Thom and the third guy to enter Finnland through the ToG.

She goes and fights lanfear knowing she will enter Finnland and destroy the doorframe; causing a situation where the only way in/out is the ToG. She knows she is going to be trapped by the Finns. Her rescuers must be Thom Mat and the 3rd man

Now, I think the three men are necessary but for different purposes.

1. I think the whole point was that Mat had to go into Finnland via the ToG. Something big is going to happen. Giving up half the light of the world to save the other half may happen here.

2. Thom and the unknown man are necessary to Moiraine being rescued and them all escaping.

3. If the third man is Noal, and if Noal is Jain Farstrider, I can see him as a valuable commodity for a hostage exchange.

4. The Letter does not state that all 4 of them have to leave. It only states that the 3 men must come.

someone that went in the ter'angreal (I cant remember who)  said that most of the memories from the ter'angreal were forgotten in a short time and it only gave a general idea of how there life would go so it would be hard for moiraine to make such complex plans.

someone that went in the ter'angreal (I cant remember who)  said that most of the memories from the ter'angreal were forgotten in a short time and it only gave a general idea of how there life would go so it would be hard for moiraine to make such complex plans.

She did, still, retain enough of a picture of how her actions would direct future events to have an understanding of what consequences will arise from what actions. Additionally, we don't know how much she'd been colluding with the Wise Ones and their own viewings. Regardless, Saidarisnowtainted is correct in saying that Moiraine's actions from the time she left Rhuidean to when she tackled Lanfear are deliberate. We got POVs where Moiraine reflected on her viewings -- take the sleeping with Rand ending in disaster, for instance.

Saidarisnowtainted, the main problem I have with your postulation is with Moiraine's letter she left with Rand, where she said she knew not what would happen in the future, "except for perhaps one small thing that does not concern you (Rand)." Saving the world obviously concerns Rand, and we know that Moiraine can't write a lie (or at least believes she can't write a lie because she tried to in NS to test the Oaths and couldn't). So if the fate of the world depends on Mat entering the Tower (which it probably does a la Min's viewing of Rand being doomed without Moiraine, and Mat is needed to rescue her) Moiraine couldn't have been aware of this when she wrote her letter to Rand. If it is important for Mat to enter the ToG for a different purpose, Moiraine's being played by the Pattern and isn't in on the con.

Edited to include "are deliberate" in reference to Moiraine's actions, accidentally left that part out.

Archived