DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

WoT Favorites: Aes Sedai

Dionysus

What do you think will happen with the Seanchan?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will happen with the Seanchan?

• Rand creates a peace and the Seanchan join him
    • The Seanchan rebel and Tarmon Gai'don is lost (ha ha)
    • They have a cease fire with Rand, and help in the Last Battle, but they don't join him. (like the whitecloaks with the Aiel)
    • They conquer Randland and help Rand unite the land for the Last Battle.
    • Muhahahahahahahah!!!!!!....they all die (heehee)

The polls are all done, if you haven't voted in any of them you better do so quickly. On Sunday, April 9, the finals will begin.

The tenth poll question is Who is your favorite foreigner?

note: Loial isnt really a foreigner to Randland, but Ogier are seperate societies, and I havent been able to place him in a poll question yet, so I made this one specifically to put him in, and some more of the Aiel which have been under represented (Aviendha).

Poll 1: Who is your favorite Forsaken

Poll 2: Who is your favorite Military Leader

Poll 3: Who is your favorite Aes Sedai

Poll 4: Who is your favorite Land Ruler

Poll 5: Who is your favorite Post-Breaking Pre-Rand Character

Poll 6: Who is your favorite Blademaster

Poll 7: Who is your favorite of the original travellers

Poll 8: Who is your favorite warder

Poll 9: Who is your favorite Asha'man

Poll 10: Who is your favorite foreigner

Hard choice. I've picked Moraine. Once she swore the oath to Rand, she kept that 'coolness' of the Wise council, without the Aes Sedai arrogance. The way she knew she MIGHT die (her rescue is not a fait accompli according to her letter), yet did what needed to be done humanised her for me.

She edged out Verin, who's just mysterious. Who wouldn't like her to have to resay the first oath on the oath rod in front of your eyes, then answer any question you have of her ?

And my third from that list I really like is Siuan. For similar reasons to Moraine. In the pre-Healing Stilling days, the bit in the cell where you find she's been Stilled, yet she pulls herself up and prepares to face (she thinks) her tormentors on her feet, turned her from Queen of the Snits, to a real person. One who I found I was beginning to like. And the way she pulled the eyes over the AS just increased that.

I agree, I picked Moiraine as well... I wont go through all the reasons why, but she is my favorite character in the whole series. Verin is a close #2 though, so i hope that both of them will get through to the final round (they will both be in other categories).

Moiraine edged out Cadsuane, mainly because Moiraine is so incredibly cool. I mean, sacrificing herself, writing letters to Thom for him to read in the future, she just seems very... Aes Sedai-y, unlike almost all of the other Aes Sedai we've seen.

Oh, but on the other hand Cadsuane Melaidhrin clearly says that she'll sacrifice ANYTHING for Rand al Thor's fight. So I'm pretty sure she'd done the same exact thing. And her personal power to command is so much greater than Moiraine Damodred's. A woman to respect and who makes Moriaine Damodred seem like a little girl barely out of short skirts (wich she, in comparison, IS)

Moric of the Singing Wind Sept of the Miagoma Aiel

Guest Egwene

Egwene obviously. I just like the way she has grown from a slightly obnoxious girl into a grown woman that the novices in the tower stand up for. I think she's been gaining a lot of respect from her Aes Sedai as well as others.

Second choice.... probably Siuan or Moiraine...

Guest cwestervelt

Went with Moiraine on this one, but it was a close three way tie between her, Cadsuane and Verin. The only 3 Aes Sedai that Rand can realy trust to do what needs to be done. Even Egwene, Elayne and Nynaeve will put the good of the Tower before anything else and if the world is destroyed, "Oops, sorry about that. Better luck next time." He may not like what they do, but they aren't going to hurt him if they don't have to. And it will be for the best of everyone if they do.

Unlike ajfurst I don't see any reason to suspect Verin isn't bound against lying. When she is using her variant on compelling against the other AS, she is playing mental games to let her slide around that one. She tells the Beldene I think it was that the weave wouldn't harm her and then does a mental dance about the weave itself not doing any harm, just the potential future results.

And Cadsuane is... Cadsuane. Accepts no nonsence, is dignified and intends to see the job done. She is also one of the few that we know isn't Black. One of her PoVs in Winter's Heart talks about her failure to root out the Black.

I chose Moiraine too, as many others.

It was a hard choise, but at the lest bools i began to like Pevara too, Despite being red she quiet cool accualy. :).

Of ourse Cadsuane and Verin are there too. The rest are just (as 'cwestervelt' said before) put the interest of the WT above all other and that simply drives me crazy!

Can't be anyone else than Moiraine. She's just the coolest charcter in the series. I don't really know why I think so, but she was there from the beginning, and in a way she represents what it is to be an Aes Sedai better than anyone of the others.

My number two is Verin, who is mysterious and a lot of other cool things. And the fact that we still can't be sure of who she really is makes her very interesting.

NONE I HATE ALLL THE AES SEDAI!!!!!!!!

they are:

no-it-alls and when you try and save them they ignore you! look at everything they are told, they are CHILDREN (i hate to sound like semirhage when i say taht) but they dont listen and they play their own games! and the ones named here all suck anyways...nyn? eggy? elayne? ugh!

*sorry if this is an overwhelming post*

Moric, its not that i hate Aes Sedai for what they do...i hate them for how they do it...i guess hate is a strong word...i think that they all need a good hard slap in the face and to stop being stupid and think they know everything...of course there are some that are just stupid naturally...

*points at eggy*

*Nods* Well, when you put it like that... Yes, agreed. By what many of them have done and what the Wise Ones has been saying since we stopped avoiding them... As I said: Only two (or possibly three) are worthy of respect. *Smiles*

Moric of the Singing Wind Sept of the Miagoma Aiel

I voted Moiraine...

Strange considering i actually really disliked her at first, as we started getting more POV's from her i liked her more. maybe because it made her seem more human, and less made of ice?

Of course it was a toss-up between her and Cadsuane!

Guest cwestervelt
Egweene became real AS.She is too smart for her age.and she is very strong than many others.

Aes Sedai from her head to her toes. Pre KoD she had the attitude to match. I'm hoping to see her taken down a few pegs when I read KoD. I doubt it, but there is always hope.

I think you miss the point. Just as the main story in LoTR is hobbiton the main story here is the village. Nynaeve is the symbol of strength in the village. The others are growing, so is she, but push come to shove they will turn to her. Siuan best Moiraine at every turn. Don't confuse the role they play with the strength of charater they represent. Siuan's courage is demonstrated just about everytime she does anything; uneducated and fearful of horses she learns to be a reader of spy reports and excells at everything and she rides horses though griped with fear. Pure strength.

but the stroy is the village and its people saving the world. Nynaeve gets the vote. :wink:

How can you not love elaida? I mean she is everything I love to hate about AS. She assumes she is always right, marches into her convictions with littlt evedence to support her theroies gets AS bonded by the black tower kidnaps rand and tries to rule the worl restoring it to what she thinks order should be. Sh has managed to my disbelief to wriggle out from under the thumb of the BA and gotten the head of the supreem council punished daily. She set people to root out the black without actuallt saying that's what she wanted, when she succeeds she barley notices though she does it well and often misses why her success are important, and when she fails she does it on a grand scale altering many lives besideds her own!! When Elaida is Eggy's footstool she will still find a way to do these things on a grand scale!! how can you fail to hate her and thus she is your favorite AS!!

Guest cwestervelt
I think you miss the point. Just as the main story in LoTR is hobbiton the main story here is the village. Nynaeve is the symbol of strength in the village. The others are growing' date=' so is she, but push come to shove they will turn to her. Siuan best Moiraine at every turn. Don't confuse the role they play with the strength of charater they represent. Siuan's courage is demonstrated just about everytime she does anything; uneducated and fearful of horses she learns to be a reader of spy reports and excells at everything and she rides horses though griped with fear. Pure strength.

but the stroy is the village and its people saving the world. Nynaeve gets the vote. :wink:[/quote']

That is what I really didn't like about the LoTR movies. Peter Jackson completely through out the real story.

Guest cwestervelt
How can you not love elaida? I mean she is everything I love to hate about AS. She assumes she is always right' date=' marches into her convictions with littlt evedence to support her theroies gets AS bonded by the black tower kidnaps rand and tries to rule the worl restoring it to what she thinks order should be. Sh has managed to my disbelief to wriggle out from under the thumb of the BA and gotten the head of the supreem council punished daily. She set people to root out the black without actuallt saying that's what she wanted, when she succeeds she barley notices though she does it well and often misses why her success are important, and when she fails she does it on a grand scale altering many lives besideds her own!! When Elaida is Eggy's footstool she will still find a way to do these things on a grand scale!! how can you fail to hate her and thus she is your favorite AS!![/quote']

I thought this was supposed to be about your "favorite" Aes Sedai. :lol: I'm more impressed with Pevara's friend whose name escapes me for actually deciding that hunting the Black Ajah was what Elaida wanted. Elaida didn't just deny the existence of the Black Ajah using Aes Sedai spin, she convinced herself they didn't exist. As such, she was unable to say she wanted the Black Ajah hunted down because the Oath would have prevented her.

That is what I really didn't like about the LoTR movies. Peter Jackson completely through out the real story.

No. No, he didn't. Certainly not completely.

In the Lord of the Rings we have a couple of themes, among them "the Great Battle against Evil of our Time" and "the Small One's Triumph" but always we have, somewhere in the background: the Shire. Something for both Frodo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee as well as Peregrin Took and Meriadoc Brandybuck to continue fighting and struggle for and look forward to return to. If anything I think we see LESS of this in the movies, since the Purging of the Shire (understandably) didn't make it into the Return of the King.

Thus we do have Djon's "Village", even if that's not the only (or possibly even the greatest) theme.

But I fear that we've gotten sidtracked.

Moric of the Singing Wind sept of the Miagoma Aiel

Guest cwestervelt

I just read my earlier post. I used the wrong word. The "through out the real story" should have been "threw out the real story". :oops: Gotta love the English language. Even people like me who are native speakers of it get caught like that.

It was the Shire story that I was referring to. The Lord of the Rings was about the Hobbits. Their gaining there ability to defend themselves, etc., and ultimately being able to fend for themselves and reclaim the Shire rather than depending on others to watch over them. By eliminating that from the movies, he lost a major theme of the books were about.

You are right that we've gotten side tracked. Ok. Enough said.

Not enough said, I couldnt stand reading through a thousand pages of the Hobbit story lines in the LOTR, and I could barely stand watching them on the bigscreen. Peter Jackson did it right, the hobbits played a major role, but the LOTR is much more than some pathetic creatures, and Jackson, much to my glee, decided that the better story line was with Aragorn and rightfully so.

So, instead of having all of these epic battle scenes and such, you would rather have Peter Jackson extend the movies to 56 hours so we can get the full story of Aragorn chasing after Pippin? Gimme a break.

Sorry if I sound like a jerk, I just really hate the hobbits, well not hate them, more hate reading about them. I had to watch paint dry for 2 weeks just to get some excitement in my life after the LoTR :)

Moiraine has her own agenda it seems... but then it turns out that her agenda was for the bettering of Rand and the others... almost makes it seem like she did something for someone besides herself... Stands out among AS... I was suprised to fing Verin in second as she was my secong chiose... hmmmm...

Archived